How to change your front inner axle seals on a Wrangler TJ

Any tips on the inner axle seal replacement on a Dana 30 that has an Eaton Elocker already installed? It seems like I won’t be able to pull the gears all the way out because of the wire. I was planning to just rest it on my floor jack, rotating it up and out of the way. However, I haven’t been able to get the gears out at all. Tried prying as mentioned in Chris’s post but not having any luck so far.

Any tips on the inner axle seal replacement on a Dana 30 that has an Eaton Elocker already installed? It seems like I won’t be able to pull the gears all the way out because of the wire. I was planning to just rest it on my floor jack, rotating it up and out of the way. However, I haven’t been able to get the gears out at all. Tried prying as mentioned in Chris’s post but not having any luck so far.
Quick update - bigger pry bar got it out.

1618718879033.jpeg

These old seals and shafts don’t look that bad to me but I’m no expert. There was significant leaking on the driver side.
1618720767816.jpeg

1618720795029.jpeg

1618720823301.jpeg

1618720844663.jpeg

Last edited:
I finished installing the seals. I didn’t apply any grease prior to installation, it was an oversight - Chris mentioned it in his write up but others I’ve seen online don’t really say anything about it. Is the purpose mainly to make it easier to press the seals in place? Later I did apply grease all around the seal after it had been installed.

I cleaned up the tubes fairly well although they weren’t that bad to start with.

1618737819557.jpeg

1618737839775.jpeg

Here’s my tool. 36mm impact socket with 24” and 18” extension. Note that I own another one that is also 36mm but a different brand and it did not fit.
1618737877049.jpeg

1618738020447.jpeg

Any thoughts on the small amount of rust here just above the seal?
1618738091471.jpeg

The shop rag to remove the carrier was brilliant, thanks for that idea.
Cleaning the inner shaft seats was very tricky. Any other ideas besides wire brush for the rust/crust buildup.?

So I changed mine over the weekend and now they are both leaking and worse than before! Can anyone help? I used the seal tool from amazon to seat them. I went till they were flush should i have kept going until they stopped?? The tubes were clean

@jherrell , I used a 36 MM Axle nut socket and a bunch of extensions to seat the new seals. Seating was not what I wanted to see but I don't have any leaks as of yet and 150 miles of road travel. I'd still like to clean the seating surfaces better next round. What make/model of seals did you use?

@jherrell , I used a 36 MM Axle nut socket and a bunch of extensions to seat the new seals. Seating was not what I wanted to see but I don't have any leaks as of yet and 150 miles of road travel. I'd still like to clean the seating surfaces better next round. What make/model of seals did you use?
Thanks for your reply. My problem ended up being I bought the wrong seals. When I bought them I just bought seals for a Dana 30. They were mopar so i didn't question it but they were the wrong year. I put national seals in it now and it seems to be better.

Thanks for your reply. My problem ended up being I bought the wrong seals. When I bought them I just bought seals for a Dana 30. They were mopar so i didn't question it but they were the wrong year. I put national seals in it now and it seems to be better

Ordered, thanks 😊 Even got the seal installer because......tools? 🤓

BTW, read the description for the link you sent. I think they are pulling the old bait and switch. I sourced them from another seller.

Reactions: Irun
Ordered, thanks 😊 Even got the seal installer because......tools? 🤓

BTW, read the description for the link you sent. I think they are pulling the old bait and switch. I sourced them from another seller.
What a load of..... :poop:

*** !! AVAILABILITY & SUBSTITUTION ALERT !! ***
*** DUE TO CRITICAL MANUFACTURER AVAILABILITY
*** KIT COMPONENTS MAY BE AUTOMATICALLY SUBSTITUTED
*** TO PREMIUM AFTERMARKET BRANDS OR FACTORY O.E. COMPONENTS)

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Step 15: Outer Axle Tube Seal Upgrade
While we were down there, I decided to add a bit of an upgrade by inserting axle tube seals. These keep gunk from getting into the axle tubes while wheeling. I assume this also helps the longevity of the inner seals.

@Chris I know this write-up is several years old now, I thought the current forum wisdom was to NOT retrofit with external seals...

Reactions: g.hayduke