I was just reminiscing about a Moab trip a couple years back...

Since we're on the subject I'll post a newb question. We're planning our first trip to Moab this summer. A buddy of mine is dead set on tackling Pritchett Canyon, aka the hardest trail in Moab. Every video I've ever sat thru tells me that a stock wheelbase TJ doesn't belong on Pritchett Canyon and those that attempt it are in for a LONG day of winching (#TrailPlug).

Can anyone chime in here? I'd like to change my mind and give it a go but my instinct says it's not a good idea.
I haven’t run it but if I was planning a trip I’d put it towards the end and work my way up. If you run an 8 and think that’s your limit go do something else on the day you planned Pritchett. I’ll know more in 3 weeks.

Reactions: rasband and SvtLdr
I am not sure of your build or skill level but Pritchett is a touch trail ! My concern is that Moab in the summer is hot, and that is from a Phoenix native. It can easily exceed 100 degrees on any day from June through August. If you get stuck out there for a day of "pulling cable" it could get miserable. I was there in July a few years ago and it was 100 in Kane creek by 11:00 am. A well built rig with 35" tires or bigger can get through the trail but it will be a lot of work.

I haven’t run it but if I was planning a trip I’d put it towards the end and work my way up. If you run an 8 and think that’s your limit go do something else on the day you planned Pritchett. I’ll know more in 3 weeks.
Looking forward to a full report after your trip.

Reactions: Apparition
I am not sure of your build or skill level but Pritchett is a touch trail ! My concern is that Moab in the summer is hot, and that is from a Phoenix native. It can easily exceed 100 degrees on any day from June through August. If you get stuck out there for a day of "pulling cable" it could get miserable. I was there in July a few years ago and it was 100 in Kane creek by 11:00 am. A well built rig with 35" tires or bigger can get through the trail but it will be a lot of work.
I wasn't crazy about the timing either but it was the best we could do given everybody's schedule. Who knows, it may end up being a bunch of half-days of wheeling for us?

Reactions: Apparition
Very true. It was 105 the day we ran Poison Spider, Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim. We were way ahead of schedule until my radiator blew on Golden Spike. Made a very long day out of it. Please take lots of water.

• Wow
Reactions: SvtLdr
I wasn't crazy about the timing either but it was the best we could do given everybody's schedule. Who knows, it may end up being a bunch of half-days of wheeling for us?
Half days are good. Grab a nice lunch, sight see, hit the pool....

Highly recommend a rafting trip mid summer, you spend most of the time floating next to the raft in the river.

Last edited:
Reactions: SvtLdr