James & The Sahara Build Thread

Fantastic transformation Jimbo! Those jounce bumpers look like burnt muffins! This is the point where you find out if the steering and control arms are up to the task.
Yeah, weird. They just rotted away. I was just messing with mine and they are solid as can be.

Looks bitchin man! I wouldn't have guessed the stock control arms would work with those springs. Now to get rid of those 3.07's!
Thank you! I will find a Dana 44 before I even think of regearing! I did get the vehicle to 70 on the way to Firestone with no death wobble, so even with the sway bar disconnected thats a plus right?

Fantastic transformation Jimbo! Those jounce bumpers look like burnt muffins! This is the point where you find out if the steering and control arms are up to the task.
Thank you! Steering and control arms will be on their way out in no time! The jounce bumpers look like burnt muffins after the best part has already been eaten.

Yeah, weird. They just rotted away. I was just messing with mine and they are solid as can be.
Yep mine are solid too. Weird!
The part I removed was rock hard, but being as the Jeep lived most of its life in the NE it has seen some rough winters. The frame was is too good of shape for me to pass on. I will have to find these in a junkyard before I try flexing this too hard.

Reactions: Rob5589
I really doubt a Junkyard would charge more than $5 each for these just because of how insignificant they are in terms of how many people actually need to replace them or go in looking for them. I know its the same part in TJ's and XJ's so hopefully I wouldn't be hard pressed to find 4 in usable condition. Maybe I am overly optimistic though trying to save some cash. :D

I thought they were burnt muffins or a messy burger until I read your post. I thought I was looking at "What's for lunch!" LOL

Good work. What a transformation! You're right, now it's looking like a real JEEP!

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
I thought they were burnt muffins or a messy burger until I read your post. I thought I was looking at "What's for lunch!" LOL
4 burnt muffins for lunch wouldn't
Good work. What a transformation! You're right, now it's looking like a real JEEP!
Hahaha yes! Excited to get her back! I didn't get a chance to check if my rear axle is even centered lol. The MetalCloak bracket will be here next friday but I may place an order for just the rear adjustable MetalCloak trackbar so I can have a centered Jeep since I already bought the $50 relocation bracket :D.

Hahaha yes! Excited to get her back! I didn't get a chance to check if my rear axle is even centered lol. The MetalCloak bracket will be here next friday but I may place an order for just the rear adjustable MetalCloak trackbar so I can have a centered Jeep since I already bought the $50 relocation bracket :D.

The relocation bracket should allow it to center up no problem...

I'm still new to this, with a 3" suspension lift the MC relocation would center my axle? If so then I'm good to go!
Yes, it should. Take measurements tomorrow to see how much off you are. Then when you install the relocation bracket, re-measure, should be right on...

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Yes, it should. Take measurements tomorrow to see how much off you are. Then when you install the relocation bracket, re-measure, should be right on...
It better, that is what it's for.
I just thought the relocation bracket was to get the axle close to center but the only way to be centered is to have an adjustable track bar. This will make things easy then!

Reactions: JMT
Your Jeep looks so happy with its new look! Your dad looks pretty happy, too!
Every time I see before and after a like this, or park mine next to a completely stock TJ, it amazes me how small the original tires are! Lift + bigger tires FTW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's looking good.

What are your plans for rear bumper?
Totally thought I responded to this. I apologize for the delay lol, my plans are more than likely something super simple. I have been eyeing the dirtworx rear bumper for the TJ (not the tire carrier) that I plan on ordering towards august alongside the metalcloak frame tie in as that frame tie in will work with the gobi roof rack's frame attachment. If anyone has a similar bumper or a recommendation I am all ears.

Hey everything is looking awesome! The fox shocks look killer.Can you do a write up on that third brake light? I love the way it looks, and would like to add it to my TJ thanks James!
Yes, write-up or direct to the good one!
I don't know how I failed to response to this either, sigh lol. I don't think I can share the link from the other forum, but I can post the photos and text giving all credit to the original author (Hardermods on WF):

Finished Project
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
Photo_Blur_Jun192017_190236.jpg

Items needed:
1 Side Emitting LED Strip (Red)
2 Home Depot 5 Gallon Bucket Lid
3 Clear Silicone

This is the LED strip I used, it can be cut down every 3 LEDs which is perfect because you only need to cut 3 off. There are power leads on both sides, but since you are powering with 12+volts you only need the leads on 1 side.

The slash is where you can cut them

I just drilled holes in the bucket lid, 3 in the middle for the studs on the spare tire bracket and 1 at the bottom edge for the wires on the led strip ( you can kinda see that hole on the right hand side of the lid)

Feed the wires of the strip through the hole on the edge of the bucket lid

I put a dab of silicone every couple of inches in the groove of the lid, might not be needed but I like the reassurance of it. The only place it is truly needed is at the end, where you cut the 3 leds off needs to be resealed, so I filled the groove then pushed the end into it. Sorry no pic of that.

Here is how the LEDS fit in the groove of the lid.

I hard wired mine, then put the lid on the tire mount, put the spare back on and tighten down the lug nuts.

If you want to be able to remove it without cutting wires you could pick up some waterproof 2 wire connectors, then put them in line.

Deutsch Connector You need a crimper for these, listed below

Deutsch Crimper

@Mr.Maim Found these which are also a great alternative if you do not wish to buy the crimper needed for the ones I mentioned.
2 Wire Waterproof Connector
"

I try to give credit where credit is due, epic third brake light mod. Plenty of light at night and not that expensive. I'll try to pay closer attention in the future so I don't take days to answer questions lol.