Jeep dogs

My Radar is 9yrs now.

IMG_20180818_153246.jpg

Jeep dog's don't need too much room. Duke made it on the rubicon with two 65qt ice chests in the back with him, a Yeti up top and an Orion on bottom.
View attachment 108797

You've got to be careful though even with the top on. This guy managed to roll down the driver side window far enough to escape (I left it down just enough to poke his head out).
View attachment 108800

Luckily I got him back after a frantic hour searching for him. He's now chipped and wears his collar all the time with his dog tag on it.

Whew! Lost dog stories are heartbreaking- I'm glad you got that handsome boy back. Of course, real dogs have tattoos (all greyhounds are tatted inside their ears when they are born).

I got really lucky. We were away from home on vacation at the beach. Luckily my wife was 45 minutes away with more of her family at the time so I was able to recover him without worrying her. I found him on a facebook lost and found group. I was stressed though for sure, thought I'd never see him again. Best I can figure is he stepped on the window crank and rolled it down enough to get out. He left a pawprint on the door and a noseprint on the the driver side mirror. I doubt he made a smooth landing.

Reactions: Blondie70
My avatar is my Border Collie in the back seat, we lost our Malinois before we got the Jeep.

A heeler is a good sturdy dog about the right size. Jagdterrier are a little smaller but supposed to be great field dogs.

I can't believe someone brought up Jagdterrier. My grandfather owned a few. Great hunting dogs in a very small package. He used them to hunt bear and cougar. And they will take on a full size of either. And they are about the size of a Jack Russell.

Jagdterrier.jpg

"History:

Between the two World Wars, game managers in Germany were focused on getting rid of foreign or introduced species, and bringing back now-extinct species that figured prominently in the mythology of the nation. One of the pioneers of this peculiar quest was Lutz Heck, the curator of the Berlin Zoo, who went on to "back breed" primitive cattle and horses to "recreate" the extinct aurochs (the kind of wild cattle seen in the cave paintings at Lascaux, France) and the tarpan (a kind of primitive forest pony). Heck's interest in dogs was driven in part by his passion for hunting, and in part by nationalism that was mixed with a desire to see what could be done with selective breeding.

Even as nationalism and an interest in genetic engineering were rising in Germany, terriers were also rising to the height of fashion in much of Europe and the United States. The Allied Terrier Show was taken over by Charles Crufts in 1886, and was the largest dog show in the world before World War I, while the first breed-specific dog publication anywhere was a magazine devoted to fox terriers. The Westminster Dog Show was begun in 1907, and the first winner was a fox terrier. A fox terrier won again in 1908, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1915, 1916, and 1917.

A fascination with terriers, fervent nationalism, and a propensity towards genetic engineering were braided together when Lutz Heck presented four black-and-tan Fell terriers—similar to what we now would call a Patterdale Terrier—to Carl Eric Gruenewald and Walter Zangenbert. Gruenewald was a "cynologist" (a self-styled dog man with an interest in genetics) and Zangenbert was a dedicated hunter with an interest in fox terriers. Gruenewald and Zangenbert added to their team Chief Forester R. Fiess and Dr. Herbert Lackner, men with land for a kennel, and the financial means to support it over a decade-long quest.

An early problem was that the Black and Tan Terriers selected as the core breeding stock and deemed "ideal hunters" based on colour alone were, in fact, not all that great at hunting. As Gruenewald later wrote:

"We were glad to own fox terriers with the hunting color, and we hoped to use these four puppies successfully in breeding to establish a hunting fox terrier breed (jagdfoxterrier-stamm). From the viewpoint of hunting these four dogs were not bad, although they left much to desire. First we tried inbreeding, pairing brothers with sisters. But the results were not good. No wonder — after all, the parents weren't real hunting dogs. The picture changed, though, when we bred our four 'originals' with our well-trained old hunting fox terriers. The beautiful dark color continued to be dominate. Dogs with a lot of the white color and spotted dogs were selected and eliminated from further breeding."
The breeding program for the Jagdterrier was massive in scale and unwavering in its selection criteria. At one point the men had 700 dogs in their kennels, and not a single dog was allowed to be placed outside of the kennel. Dogs that did not look the part, or which were deemed to be not of the quality desired, were culled (standard practice the world over until the 1960s). Early dogs were both smooth and rough coat, but the breeding program moved to get rid of smooth coats, and the coat of the final product can best be described as "slape coated"—a short, hard and wiry coat that sheds water and dirt while providing warmth in winter. After only 10 years time the dogs were breeding more-or-less true, with a Patterdale-like appearance, albeit with more red on the undercarriage.

The German Hunting Terrier Club (Deutscher Jagdterrier-Club) was founded in 1926, and the dog was warmly embraced in part because it fit well with the rising nationalistic sentiment within Germany at the time.

In 1938, a German by the name of Max Thiel, Sr. bought his first Jagdterrier. Thiel hunted with this dog for only a few years before the start of World War II. During the war Thiel lost his dogs, but after the war he settled in Bavaria and purchased two female dogs, Asta and Naja.

In 1951 Thiel moved to the US, bringing with him Naja. He soon sent for Asta, who was bred and shipped pregnant. In 1954, Armin Schwarz Sr., imported a "champion" sire named Axel, and a few more litters were promulgated. In March 1956, nine Jadgterrier owners met in St. Louis, Missouri, and formed the Jagdterrier Club of America, with the expressed goal of getting the dog recognized by the American Kennel Club. In fact, the club did not prosper and eventually died out.

The Jadgterrier did not become popular in the US for several reasons, not the least of which was that in the US very few people hunt fox to ground. In recent years, with the rise of interest in terrier work in the US, new lines of Jagdterriers have been imported to the US, but most are used for above-ground or barn work due to their size. For a Jadgterrier to do well working underground in the US, it has to be at the absolutely smallest end of the breed standard or even undersized.

Many of the newer/later imports to the US are within the true FCI breed standard (correct size) and are being used successfully both above and below ground, with many reports of their offspring making exceptional hunting, flush and retrieval dogs both on land and in water. Today there are many hunters across the US adopting this courageous, intelligent breed as a hunt companion because of its versatility in various hunt disciplines and aim-to-please attitude."

This is my copilot Fenton, the 180lb 3.5 year old great dane. He seems to like riding in the LJ better than my 2017 Silverado. I removed the back seat and have a large dog bed and a few blankets lining the back lol He got more attention than my LJ did at the Toledo Jeep fest lest year😆
20191120_161822.jpg
20190822_191044.jpg
20190819_204847.jpg
20190727_203020.jpg
20190810_093250.jpg

Here's the GSPs, heading out for some camping and a little hunting.
Lily and Boo in TJ.jpg

Lily and Boo Huning.jpg
Lilly and Boo.jpg

Boo.jpg

Above is Boo and he passed just a week or so after this photo (last winter only 6 months old and just finished all his shots) and we have no idea what happened, but he got sick and we took him to the vet, thinking it wasn't serious and he kept getting worse. Vet did surgery and his intestines weren't working. He passed a couple days later. He was very calm compared to our other GSP, but he wasn't as engaged in any training and mainly just followed other dogs.

The other GSP is Lily and she's an amazing dog, but she's incredibly driven and energetic, which can be a bit difficult at times. She's awful in vehicles. The 2 of us are glued together, but I've been a bit hesitant to get out with her a lot like I have in the past. For whatever reason when we're out I'm just more nervous after something happened to Boo last year.

Below is Scout. Unfortunately she passed a few years ago of a liver issue.

We use harnesses for the dogs and we use straps with climbing rated carabiners, hooked into the cage (low in case of a roll and so they can lay down) on the TJ or something like the baby seat restraint stuff. We tried the buckles, but they kept unbuckling themselves.

Scout ZJ.jpg

This thread is so cool . I've got to get Roscoe and Buddy the Wonderdog on here, our healers.

Buddy is an absolute frisbee phenom , or the the world's greatest shortstop reincarnated as a dog. Nothing gets by him.

Good pics gang.

I might be looking for a Jeep dog to accompany me on my trips into the backwoods. I really like American Huskies, and Beagles. Here's the deal though, Huskies need to run, and I'm getting a little too stove up to run a Huskie as much as it needs. I'd also like something a little more "outdoor sturdy" than a Beagle. Big fan of hounds of all stripes though. Not a fan of Australian Shepherds. I do like some of the German Shepard mixes. Maybe something in the 35 - 35 pound range?

Anyone with dog and TJ experience have any ideas?
I might have missed it but did you get a dog ??

DSCN1499.jpeg

Reactions: BugoutJeep
My old 90 lb malamute passed in july after 14 yrs.

Christmas eve, i picked up a girl at the pound... Kimber. A 40 lb german pinscher/kelpie mutt.

Awesome dog... very calm, obidient, and alert. High energy.. but turns it off at home.

First time for a shleter dog... a female... and a mid sized dog at 40 lbs.

Loving the decision!

She loves the jeep... jumped right in before i finished opening the tailgate.

46109.jpeg