Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

@Twopoint I feel that the canadian jeeps might be similar to GCC spec ones, but not sure. The pair of trucklite knock offs i bought plug directly in however there is no accessory/parking light. The original headlights had a seperate bulb for those which the new LED light dont have.

Is this similar to your issue?
kind of? During normal operation the headlights were on full voltage, but during the day with them off they were getting only half voltage so they were dim, but they were on. There is a magnetic sensor in the transmission. once it sensed movement, it applied applied voltage.
If you started your jeep, put it in gear, no light, but once you started to move they turned on, and stayed on till you turned it off

kind of? During normal operation the headlights were on full voltage, but during the day with them off they were getting only half voltage so they were dim, but they were on. There is a magnetic sensor in the transmission. once it sensed movement, it applied applied voltage.
If you started your jeep, put it in gear, no light, but once you started to move they turned on, and stayed on till you turned it off

Which lights are you referring to? I have a Canadian Jeep and know what you mean about the once you start moving your day time running lights come on. Was thinking of purchasing some LEDs for mine but now I read your post of having to cut wiring up.. you have more info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't. DRLs are not required here in Washington state,
and we wanted to upgrade the headlights to LEDs.
however there are LED headlights that have a DRL function

I purchased the VisionX lights... they threw awesome amounts of light and were a huge improvement over holding my Bic out the window (i.e. factory sealed beams). HOWEVER, they only lasted 9 months.

A $500 headlight should last more than 9 months.

The warranty process has been a nightmare. The "lifetime warranty" requires you to go through the dealer to make a claim. The dealer will have you ship the lights back, then they ship them to VisionX who determines if they can be repaired or will be replaced or if they are not under warranty (how does that work with a "lifetime warranty??).

If repaired or replaced, they send you the lights. This process can take up to "30 days" according to the VisionX website. If they decide the lights are not under warranty, then you pay them to ship them back.

My dealer has been giving me the runaround with the warranty claim, so that's on the dealer. But a 30 day wait to have your $500 headlights examined is on VisionX. Am I supposed to go back to the sealed beams for 30 days+ while I await their determination? My dealer actually suggested buying another set and then returning the old ones for credit! I am supposed to shell out another $1000 to get a warranty fix?!? Needless to say, this whole process has left a bad taste in my mouth.

This is my personal experience and may not be the typical experience with VisionX; but I can only go on what I know or experienced personally. I won't chance it with another pair of VisionX.

Moral of the story: Buyer Beware. Find a reputable dealer, check the warranty details in case you have to make a claim.

• Wow
Reactions: Vision X and Chris
Hi Kmob,

First I'm sorry you had a problem with our light. We produce our products with the highest regard to quality as a priority, we also treat our customers with the same passion. Please give us a call 888-489-9820 M-F (8-5), please ask for Evan.

Note: Our Warranty is very similar to most manufactures. We require a proof of purchase and the opportunity to inspect the product to make sure it didn't fail from damage caused by physical abuse or improper install. https://www.visionxusa.com/warranty/

Please give Evan a call so we can help! 888-489-9820

I purchased the VisionX lights... they threw awesome amounts of light and were a huge improvement over holding my Bic out the window (i.e. factory sealed beams). HOWEVER, they only lasted 9 months.

A $500 headlight should last more than 9 months.

The warranty process has been a nightmare. The "lifetime warranty" requires you to go through the dealer to make a claim. The dealer will have you ship the lights back, then they ship them to VisionX who determines if they can be repaired or will be replaced or if they are not under warranty (how does that work with a "lifetime warranty??).

If repaired or replaced, they send you the lights. This process can take up to "30 days" according to the VisionX website. If they decide the lights are not under warranty, then you pay them to ship them back.

My dealer has been giving me the runaround with the warranty claim, so that's on the dealer. But a 30 day wait to have your $500 headlights examined is on VisionX. Am I supposed to go back to the sealed beams for 30 days+ while I await their determination? My dealer actually suggested buying another set and then returning the old ones for credit! I am supposed to shell out another $1000 to get a warranty fix?!? Needless to say, this whole process has left a bad taste in my mouth.

This is my personal experience and may not be the typical experience with VisionX; but I can only go on what I know or experienced personally. I won't chance it with another pair of VisionX.

Moral of the story: Buyer Beware. Find a reputable dealer, check the warranty details in case you have to make a claim.

Reactions: Kmob
Hi Kmob,

First I'm sorry you had a problem with our light. We produce our products with the highest regard to quality as a priority, we also treat our customers with the same passion. Please give us a call 888-489-9820 M-F (8-5), please ask for Evan.

Note: Our Warranty is very similar to most manufactures. We require a proof of purchase and the opportunity to inspect the product to make sure it didn't fail from damage caused by physical abuse or improper install. https://www.visionxusa.com/warranty/

Please give Evan a call so we can help! 888-489-9820

Thanks for the reply!

As I said, most of the nightmare of the warranty claim is on the dealer from whom I purchased these lights. They have been less than helpful since the start (I had to email them to get them to actually ship the lights almost a week after I placed and paid for the order); and that has only worsened with the warranty issue now.

I will give a call during normal hours tomorrow. It would be great to get this resolved without involving the dealer.

Cheers!

Reactions: Chris
Anyone know how deep the headlights can be to fit into a TJ? I've found LED headlights they resemble the new JL style LED headlights which I really like, however I am concerned of the depth/dimensions of fitment into the TJ.

I purchased and installed the Axial LED headlights. Headlights

I found the heat sinks didn't clear the mounting plate. I had to clear a small amount from the mounting plate and then filed one of the fins for the heatsink to clear the mounting plate. They say exact replacement, but not really from my experience. Once I did that, they fit flush as they should and adjusted properly.

jeep halo.jpg

I purchased and installed the Axial LED headlights. Headlights

I found the heat sinks didn't clear the mounting plate. I had to clear a small amount from the mounting plate and then filed one of the fins for the heatsink to clear the mounting plate. They say exact replacement, but not really from my experience. Once I did that, they fit flush as they should and adjusted properly.

You got a link to these lights so I can see if they list physical dimensions of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks see it now. its odd that their instruction don't talk about any cutting or modifications.. no dimensions listed tho

After reading Chris' write-up, I went with the Truck Lights "Chinese" knock-offs and couldn't be happier. Light up the road like a football field on dim and absolutely no flash back from on coming cars after getting them adjusted right. A lot cheaper too.

IMG_0750.JPG

Thanks see it now. its odd that their instruction don't talk about any cutting or modifications.. no dimensions listed tho
I went back and read it again and it says you need the factory halogen bucket. Those must have a smaller mounting bolt holder(?). I have no idea what came on the 02 I bought, other than they suck. These are bright.

After reading Chris' write-up, I went with the Truck Lights "Chinese" knock-offs and couldn't be happier. Light up the road like a football field on dim and absolutely no flash back from on coming cars after getting them adjusted right. A lot cheaper too.

View attachment 86271
I have these as well. Extremely pleased with them!

Reactions: Tray Burge
UPDATE ON MY VISIONX HEADLIGHT ISSUE

I spoke with Evan at VisionX today regarding my failed VisionX headlights and the issues I was having with warranty claim through the dealer. Evan was EXTREMELY helpful and I am getting new lights under warranty. :)

My final thoughts on this whole issue:

1) VisionX lights are worth the $. They throw a huge amount of light in the right place (no oncoming traffic flashing at me!)
2) VisionX CARES about their customers. They want you to have the best lights they can build and to provide the best customer service for those lights they possibly can.
3) The dealer was the source of my issue, NOT VISIONX.
4) If you want great lights that are supported by a great company, you can't go wrong with the VisionX. Just be sure your dealer is up to par with the lights they sell.

I want to shout out to Evan and Danny from VisionX. Danny saw the post and took proactive action to resolve my issue (which wasn't even their fault). Evan was courteous, understanding of my situation, and most of all made sure I was happy with the final resolution.

Way to go VisionX!

Reactions: Tray Burge
UPDATE ON MY VISIONX HEADLIGHT ISSUE

I spoke with Evan at VisionX today regarding my failed VisionX headlights and the issues I was having with warranty claim through the dealer. Evan was EXTREMELY helpful and I am getting new lights under warranty. :)

My final thoughts on this whole issue:

1) VisionX lights are worth the $. They throw a huge amount of light in the right place (no oncoming traffic flashing at me!)
2) VisionX CARES about their customers. They want you to have the best lights they can build and to provide the best customer service for those lights they possibly can.
3) The dealer was the source of my issue, NOT VISIONX.
4) If you want great lights that are supported by a great company, you can't go wrong with the VisionX. Just be sure your dealer is up to par with the lights they sell.

I want to shout out to Evan and Danny from VisionX. Danny saw the post and took proactive action to resolve my issue (which wasn't even their fault). Evan was courteous, understanding of my situation, and most of all made sure I was happy with the final resolution.

Way to go VisionX!

I actually reached out to Vision X on your behalf and let them know about your post. Clearly they were very eager to resolve it, which shows what a stand-up company they are.

I'm not surprised honestly. I've had nothing but positive experiences with Vision X and always recommend them to people looking for a quality LED headlight.

Reactions: Kmob and Ericict