Looking for Savvy tummy tuck installation tips on an Unlimited Rubicon

Taking away material from the brace does take away its structural integrity. Id trim it just barely or find a way to raise the exhaust. An exhaust shop can do cheap work

Taking away material from the brace does take away its structural integrity. Id trim it just barely or find a way to raise the exhaust.

Yeah, it looks like i have about 2" from skid to bottom of exhaust tube where it starts to interfere, so I'm thinking it wont be just a smidge of a trim.

I'm assuming the height of the rear brace is what it is for strength. Seems like a common area for interference though and interested in hearing what others have done to resolve interference.

I would just have an exhaust shop move that flange back an 1" or so to clear the brace.

I would just have an exhaust shop move that flange back an 1" or so to clear the brace.
It is actually interfering with the exhaust tube and not the flange. The tube between the flange for cat and the muffler.

Not sure what an exhaust shop might do in that area other than move the whole exhaust up closer to tub.

It is actually interfering with the exhaust tube and not the flange. The tube between the flange for cat and the muffler.

Not sure what an exhaust shop might do in that area other than move the whole exhaust up closer to tub.
Can you move your Savvy exhaust hanger bracket on your TC up to get it off the brace?

In that case the exhaust needs to go up. If the savvy bracket wont allow it to go high enough an exhaust shop needs to modify the hanger so it sits higher.

Reactions: JMT
Can you move your Savvy exhaust hanger bracket on your TC up to get it off the brace?
It does have some more room left in the slots. Will have to see if I can get it to sit any higher. I was a bit paranoid about having the cat sitting too close to the tub.

Anyone have a photo of their setup and how close cat and muffler sit with respect to tub?

20200505_182418.jpg

20200505_190741.jpg

Mine on non rubi tj. As high as I could get it. FWIW. No telling if yours will be similar or not. Only exhaust issue I had was with the rear track bar. It took $100 in exhaust work. Upon installing my savvy cross member I thought there was no way it was going to fit then it did. Perfectly.

Reactions: JMT
It will be close
T
View attachment 205686
View attachment 205690

Mine on non rubi tj. As high as I could get it. FWIW. No telling if yours will be similar or not. Only exhaust issue I had was with the rear track bar. It took $100 in exhaust work. Upon installing my savvy cross member I thought there was no way it was going to fit then it did. Perfectly.
Thanks for the pics. My exhaust routing out the back was preventing the muffler and cat from going up further.

Now, I'm looking for guidance on where to run exhaust past muffler so that it will be out of the way when axle cycles and doesnt rub the shock or gas tank. I have a wishbone upper link (full traction) to help give others an idea of the setup. Haven't been to too many muffler shops so not sure if guidance is welcome or they've seen enough jeeps to know where to route exhaust for max clearance.

Appreciate all the feedback.

T

Thanks for the pics. My exhaust routing out the back was preventing the muffler and cat from going up further.

Now, I'm looking for guidance on where to run exhaust past muffler so that it will be out of the way when axle cycles and doesnt rub the shock or gas tank. I have a wishbone upper link (full traction) to help give others an idea of the setup. Haven't been to too many muffler shops so not sure if guidance is welcome or they've seen enough jeeps to know where to route exhaust for max clearance.

Appreciate all the feedback.
My flange and exhaust had to be lifted higher to clear. The problem then became the rear exhaust routing to avoid the shock body and the trackbar. Even after highly proclaimed muffler shop it dented my shock goo. In the end, muffler shop two did this. They said it would be absolutely no problem. I’m super stoked. Everything has been good and everything clears at 94” WB. The exhaust curves 90* out of the muffler and points straight down. I will do this on every TJ I own forever. Solved so many issues so easily.

7B37384D-E769-4F20-9BAA-CD715D15E1AE.jpeg

5291BFF6-23E1-4442-B752-D01FF2672F0E.jpeg

Last edited:
My flange and exhaust had to be lifted higher to clear. The problem then became the rear exhaust routing to avoid the shock body and the trackbar. Even after highly proclaimed muffler shop it dented my shock goo. In the end, muffler shop two did this. They said it would be absolutely no problem. I’m super stoked. Everything has been good and everything clears at 94” WB. The exhaust curves 90* out of the muffler and points straight down. I will do this on every TJ I own forever. Solved so many issues so easily.

View attachment 205695

View attachment 205696
The original owner of my jeep did something similar but I couldn't stand the loud droning noise it made , so I had a shop add a tail pipe which helped a bunch with the noise. Now with the tummy tuck, I'll be fighting similar clearance issues.

The original owner of my jeep did something similar but I couldn't stand the loud droning noise it made , so I had a shop add a tail pipe which helped a bunch with the noise. Now with the tummy tuck, I'll be fighting similar clearance issues.
Hmm...mine sounds stock, no change

Hmm...mine sounds stock, no change
Because thats a stock muffler. Any aftermarket muffler makes a lot of noise with a turn down. Where if you were to add a tailpipe to the same aftermarket muffler, it would be much much quieter.

Whelp, installation is done.

I would like to resolve two issues I have

1. Vibration at idle - cant see anywhere that I have metal to metal contact.

2. Exhaust routing - right now it's cut off 6 or so inches past the muffler. It's not as drone sounding as I remember but I've since installed hotheadheadliners. I might put a turn down on it temporarily until I can get it into exhaust shop.

Overall very happy with form, fit and function. Nice design @mrblaine !

Reactions: mrblaine
Whelp, installation is done.

I would like to resolve two issues I have

1. Vibration at idle - cant see anywhere that I have metal to metal contact.

2. Exhaust routing - right now it's cut off 6 or so inches past the muffler. It's not as drone sounding as I remember but I've since installed hotheadheadliners. I might put a turn down on it temporarily until I can get it into exhaust shop.

Overall very happy with form, fit and function. Nice design @mrblaine !
One other lessons learned for me. After adjusting the rear driveline pinion angle don't forget to check shock to spring perch clearance. Although my spring perches are clearanced, it wasn't enough and I just found I've smashed in the bodies of both rear shocks. 😥.

I'm assuming this is a common thing to have to do? I'm just hoping i can clearance enough to avoid the interference. They were already trimmed some.