Midnight LJR Build

Very nice build!

For the con, sliders, skids (including oil pan) and beefy diff covers are way more important than regearing the axles.

I will likely have all the armor necessary before I go on the harder trails just to keep the Jeep nicer.

Not super panicked because I at least have OEM sliders.

Reactions: Alex01 and Indy
I will likely have all the armor necessary before I go on the harder trails just to keep the Jeep nicer.

Not super panicked because I at least have OEM sliders.
As long as you're not leading you shouldn't hit anything you didnt see coming. Better yet follow a jku and you will make the same line easy.

Can't wait to check out your rig in person.

Sold the old XJ a few weeks back. Sad to see it go, but it was sold to a good friend who I will still being wheeling with so I will still get to see it from time to time.

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 2.10.55 PM.png

Reactions: Alex01
Open the flood gates a bit last night and began the suspension and drivetrain build.

Ordered as of last night

Suspension
Savvy 4" lift with front with Adjustable Rear track bar
Rancho 5000X shocks

Armor
Savvy Gas tank skid (So I can raise the tank up to gain some clearance
Savvy Transfer case skid (slightly conceded about idle vibrations but after talking to a few members don't think it will be bad)
Savvy Engine Skid
Rugged Ridge front & Rear diff Skids

Steering
Currie heavy duty
Rancho 5000 Stabilizer

Bumper
Savvy Front Bumper
Next Venture rear bumper with hitch

Brakes
Front - Black Magic Brakes Super 16" kit (@mrblaine Recommended these for my application over the 17" kit I was considering)
Rear - New rotors with Black Magic Pads

Axles & Gears
Revoultion Gears 5.13
Rear Axles Revolution US made
Front Axles (Stock for now Revolution US made with Big U joints are going to be out of stock until September or so)

Bumper
Savvy Front bumper

Misc
Spiderwebshade

————————————-

Trying to think if I missed anything, but hopefully got it all for this phase.

Still need to order the Savvy sliders but figured I would get this pile of work done first, I am also trying to decide if I want to run Savvy corner Armor or not?

Last edited:
Are you going to leave all the savvy aluminum as is or Powder coat / paint the parts?

Sweet build! Any more info on the trailer?! Like where can I get one lol

Are you going to leave all the savvy aluminum as is or Powder coat / paint the parts?

Not sure yet. Still going back and fourth.

But as of right now planning to do the front bumper black.

Having a hard time deciding on the under armor. Seems like some people put Shark something or other on it? I thought powder coating could weaken the aluminum? Might be wrong about that have not researched yet. So leaning towards paint as of right now but might leave them bare if it doesn’t give too much of a modified appearance from the outside.

When I get the Rock sliders and corner armor I am Planning to get the aluminum Color matched to the Jeep. Leaving the actual slider black.

Part of goal with this build for me is someone looking from outside who does not know a lot about jeeps. To think that it is very lightly modified. Maybe not even realize it is.

Having a hard time deciding on the under armor. Seems like some people put Shark something or other on it? I thought powder coating could weaken the aluminum? Might be wrong about that have not researched yet. So leaning towards paint as of right now but might leave them bare if it doesn’t give too much of a modified appearance from the outside.

When I get the Rock sliders and corner armor I am Planning to get the aluminum Color matched to the Jeep. Leaving the actual slider black.

Part of goal with this build for me is someone looking from outside who does not know a lot about jeeps. To think that it is very lightly modified. Maybe not even realize it is.
I wouldn't bother with the under body skids. Just get some black paint. That's what we did with toms.

Sounds like a great build plan.

Sounds familiar :D

Reactions: Midnight LJR
Another choice to add to your list,
https://www.olympic4x4products.com/TJ-Mountain-Climber-Bumper.htmlIt advertises a 2500lb. tow rating. I've since modified a few things on mine.
View attachment 99010
The ARB bumper that @lowranger has is very stout and hides the butt crack.

Olympic actually discontinued their whole product line until Christmas so they wouldn’t ship if you bought it, there’s a note at the top of their website. I was lucky and got one off 4WP on sale for around $150.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnight LJR
Those shock boots were not easy to remove. Cant remember which, front or rear but one set had some very tough hard plastic rather than soft rubber. Had to use my cutco scissors.

It's the rears. @Chris actually had them making noise by rubbing on something on his TJ, so cutting them off is in order.

It's the rears. @Chris actually had them making noise by rubbing on something on his TJ, so cutting them off is in order.

Yep, drove me nuts for months trying to figure out where that noise was coming from when I would hit a bump. It was those damn stupid plastic shock boots!