Midnight LJR Build

The issue I found is that the transfer case never really wants to play nicely (shifting it I mean) unless you have the vehicle running. Even then, you often need to put the transmission in neutral and roll the vehicle forward or backwards just ever so slightly in order to get the transfer case to slide into gear.

That makes adjusting the cable a process, but I finally figured it out.

Exactly! What I finally did that made it easy to finalize for me was to jack up the back tires, front driveshaft was disconnected and I had my friend spin the back wheels like We were slowing driving. Then I was able to adjust and confirm everything very easy. Until that Everything was locking up and felt terrible like stock. The cool thing was I have a much better understanding now how that whole system works and how to adjust it now, etc. So if there’s ever any problems In the future I feel like at least understand what is going on down there. Before that thing looked like witchcraft to me.

Got my MORryde tire carrier installed today. LOVE this thing compared to a bumper mounted carrier. Also replaced the resistor behind glove box and got 1 and 2 power back on my AC. Used the awesome guide on the forum.

ABD751DA-7868-479B-BF74-65072C57362A.jpeg

Caught up! Nice build. You should be ready for the Con. Gears soon? What’s next?

Welcome aboard from another Northern California member. Just read your thread and got caught up. You're not wasting any time! Nice looking LJR and nice trailer. I have a similar set up with a trailer. For the rear bumper for towing my trailer, I went with the ARB. Well built and ties into the frame in a lot of different places. It also wraps around to help protect the lower corners of your Jeep body.
When buying a rear bumper for towing, do your research (which it looks like you do it well) a lot of bumpers have receivers but aren't recommend for towing and didn't have a place to hook your safety chain. Didn't make sense to me at first, but I kept researching.

Reactions: JMT
What’s the weight of the moryde tire carrier by itself? Looking into one as my Jeep is sort of a weight weenie.

I didn’t weight it. But I will say it was definitely lighter than the bumper mounted carrier that was on there.

Caught up! Nice build. You should be ready for the Con. Gears soon? What’s next?

Waiting on a pending sale of my xj then then going to be replacing the lift with a Savvy so I have adjustable arms for a future tummy tuck. This lift has a drop pitman arm and trac bar, and strange lower control arms I don’t like.

So next phase should be
Savvy lift, Currie steering, Big Brake kit.

Then gears gears and axles. <——hoping to be to this point at least for rubicon.

Then last thing will be the savvy tummy tuck, and sliders.

Then all the fun cosmetic like LED headlights etc. :)

Reactions: ScottCO and Alex01
Waiting on a pending sale of my xj then then going to be replacing the lift with a Savvy so I have adjustable arms for a future tummy tuck. This lift has a drop pitman arm and trac bar, and strange lower control arms I don’t like.

So next phase should be
Savvy lift, Currie steering, Big Brake kit.

Then gears gears and axles. <——hoping to be to this point at least for rubicon.

Then last thing will be the savvy tummy tuck, and sliders.

Then all the fun cosmetic like LED headlights etc. :)
You're going like super fast! That's going to be the picture perfect build. It's taken me longer to get there, but I'm waiting on my savvy tt, already have the sliders, then I'll get to cosmetics like headlights, bedtred, sound dampening, et al. little things.

Looking awesome! I'd do the same thing with an LJR.

Welcome aboard from another Northern California member. Just read your thread and got caught up. You're not wasting any time! Nice looking LJR and nice trailer. I have a similar set up with a trailer. For the rear bumper for towing my trailer, I went with the ARB. Well built and ties into the frame in a lot of different places. It also wraps around to help protect the lower corners of your Jeep body.
When buying a rear bumper for towing, do your research (which it looks like you do it well) a lot of bumpers have receivers but aren't recommend for towing and didn't have a place to hook your safety chain. Didn't make sense to me at first, but I kept researching.

Yeah rear bumper research has been driving me nuts, at first I was looking only at tow rated ones, then realized there not any different than the non tow rated ones and as long as they have good tie ins to the frame and places to hook chains I would be happy. ARB is one I am still considering.

Do you happen to have a direct side shot of your Jeep with ARB bumper on it? I cannot seem to find a good one showing how far it hangs down from a side view.

I am also looking into the nextventure rear bumper for a very minimalist approach.
https://www.nextventuremotorsports.com/product/tj-457/
Checked out JCR too! Bumpers have actually been driving me crazy and I keep going round and round.

You're going like super fast! That's going to be the picture perfect build. It's taken me longer to get there, but I'm waiting on my savvy tt, already have the sliders, then I'll get to cosmetics like headlights, bedtred, sound dampening, et al. little things.

Looking awesome! I'd do the same thing with an LJR.

Thanks your build and others have really helped I am trying to do a lot of research combined with my experience with my XJ. This has always been my favorite Jeep and dream Jeep so I want everything done right on it and don’t ever plan to get rid of it.

Reactions: Alex01
Thanks your build and others have really helped I am trying to do a lot of research combined with my experience with my XJ. This has always been my favorite Jeep and dream Jeep so I want everything done right on it and don’t ever plan to get rid of it.
I'm looking at a 1991 Cherokee Sport, 2-Door. Is that an XJ? If I'm understanding correctly, it is. A friend is goign to sell it to me for $1000. It needs some love but it's a 4.0 with the 5-speed and runs good, 15K on the clock.

I was looking to lift it mildly and run 32's. Can I lift it 3" and get 32's under it? Probably need adjustable front trackbar. What shocks give a good on/off road ride, but used mostly onroad?

Yeah rear bumper research has been driving me nuts, at first I was looking only at tow rated ones, then realized there not any different than the non tow rated ones and as long as they have good tie ins to the frame and places to hook chains I would be happy. ARB is one I am still considering.

Do you happen to have a direct side shot of your Jeep with ARB bumper on it? I cannot seem to find a good one showing how far it hangs down from a side view.

I am also looking into the nextventure rear bumper for a very minimalist approach.
https://www.nextventuremotorsports.com/product/tj-457/
Checked out JCR too! Bumpers have actually been driving me crazy and I keep going round and round.
I'll go take a picture of it for you.

Reactions: Midnight LJR
I'm looking at a 1991 Cherokee Sport, 2-Door. Is that an XJ? If I'm understanding correctly, it is. A friend is goign to sell it to me for $1000. It needs some love but it's a 4.0 with the 5-speed and runs good, 15K on the clock.

I was looking to lift it mildly and run 32's. Can I lift it 3" and get 32's under it? Probably need adjustable front trackbar. What shocks give a good on/off road ride, but used mostly onroad?

Mine is a lot more built than it sounds like your wanting to go.

https://dpgoffroad.com/product-cate...j-cherokee-kits/old-man-emu-xj-cherokee-kits/
For a mild lift, OME lifts from DPG come highly recommended. He actually includes some adjustable bump stops etc. so you can get everything dialed in.

A friend is going to be building one and I think he is gonna do OME springs with, Currie control arms and Rancho shocks. ZJ steering and a good adjustable front track bar of your choice and you would have a great rig. I use a Clayton on my xj and it has been solid. I had a full traction on my xj before that and it literally snapped in half on the rubicon half way down and we had to weld a wrench to it so we could finish the trip...

Yes that is an XJ. 3" of lift on an XJ will get you around that tire size. Maybe not 32's but for sure 31's. The Wheel Wells are MUCH smaller on an XJ, so you gotta lift em higher for the same size tire that you'd put on a TJ. Check out NAXJA for XJ stuff. I have a buddy that is into them...He has a 4 door with about 6-7 inches of lift (long arm in front), cut fenders, 35's, stroker, lockers, etc. We have beat on that thing, and it is VERY capable.

Oh, and nice score to get a 2 door with 15,000 miles for a thousand bucks!

I have a feeling you just want another rig so you can throw one of the kids in there and hit up some trails without going alone. I think it will be awesome the kids could learn the basics on the XJ and leave the TJ to dad.

1k and 15k on the clock... thats an amazing deal.

Yes that is an XJ. 3" of lift on an XJ will get you around that tire size. Maybe not 32's but for sure 31's. The Wheel Wells are MUCH smaller on an XJ, so you gotta lift em higher for the same size tire that you'd put on a TJ. Check out NAXJA for XJ stuff. I have a buddy that is into them...He has a 4 door with about 6-7 inches of lift (long arm in front), cut fenders, 35's, stroker, lockers, etc. We have beat on that thing, and it is VERY capable.

Oh, and nice score to get a 2 door with 15,000 miles for a thousand bucks!

That helps. I was thinking you have to go higher. I wheel with an XJ on 35’s, 5” lift and lots of cutting.

Oh, and I missed a number on the mileage 135K. 😬

I have a feeling you just want another rig so you can throw one of the kids in there and hit up some trails without going alone. I think it will be awesome the kids could learn the basics on the XJ and leave the TJ to dad.

1k and 15k on the clock... thats an amazing deal.
You’re on to me for sure! 🤣

A friend is going to be building one and I think he is gonna do OME springs with, Currie control arms and Rancho shocks. ZJ steering and a good adjustable front track bar of your choice and you would have a great rig. I use a Clayton on my xj and it has been solid. I had a full traction on my xj before that and it literally snapped in half on the rubicon half way down and we had to weld a wrench to it so we could finish the trip...
Sounds like a solid build for a Jeep on 32's or 33's with a body lift!

Like the LJR build so far!