Mounting a Jerry Can

http://truck.rebeloffroad.com/product-p/rse-2tb.

This is the fuel carry set up I’ve been eyeballing for a minute. Install when needed, remove when not.

Interesting idea.

My first reaction was to doubt that the holder would be strong enough for two 2-gal. Rotopax containers filled with gasoline, let alone four (approx 55 lbs.), but according to the reviews it apparently works.

What we need is a first hand report. What is the company's return policy? ;)

Interesting idea.

My first reaction was to doubt that the holder would be strong enough for two 2-gal. Rotopax containers filled with gasoline, let alone four (approx 55 lbs.), but according to the reviews it apparently works.

What we need is a first hand report. What is the company's return policy? ;)

From my understanding it’s just for the tire brackets and the ratchet strap. Need to order Rotopax mounts separately. They are showing 4 in the picture but I believe you set it up for 2. I’ve seen another company that makes something similar but I didn’t bookmark.

As far as return policy that is a great question and If I order (most likely will) I will find out.

Still looking at options.

The useful gas in the tank is 19.5 gallons, anybody that says otherwise needs to get a cheap gas can and run er till shes empty. I carry 10 gallons on the bumper in the desert but even on the old mojave road I didn't need it. Just get a cheap plastic can and strap it to your Jeep when you do a long trip, you wont need it anyway. If you want it for looks go ahead and break the bank, rotopax will do that real quick. I have extra fuel cans, haven't needed them in CA, anybody else want to share some real world experience?

I have a Smittybilt tire carrier with a custom made mount for a pair of Rotopax. Even though the tanks are small (3 and 2 gallon) it took some effort to get it stiff enough so the tanks don’t bounce around. It is extremely stiff now.

After reading how dangerous hi-jacks are I suppose I should remove it but it looks cool and makes a nice handle.

4ACCB8B2-E049-4919-B2C6-5FE1BD2F620D.jpeg

D15D6DBA-A02E-4B47-B0D5-72E6504E98CC.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Agustin David
Just as a curisoty, does the 31 gallon tank mess with the EVAP system as far as setting off codes? It seems it would mess with the LDP as far as stroke time vs when the spring in the diaphragm is balanced?

The 31 gallon tank works just like factory tank. TurboTJ, the shovel makes up for the high-lift, besides even Blaine uses one for lifting fence posts so they do serve a purpose.

I have a Smittybilt tire carrier with a custom made mount for a pair of Rotopax. Even though the tanks are small (3 and 2 gallon) it took some effort to get it stiff enough so the tanks don’t bounce around. It is extremely stiff now.

After reading how dangerous hi-jacks are I suppose I should remove it but it looks cool and makes a nice handle.

View attachment 71760

View attachment 71761
Like the setup just got the same bumper and tire carrier

I'm kinda late to the party here, but Titan (I'm pretty sure of the brand) sells a rotomoulded spare fuel holder that gets mounted behind the spare tire. It is a big (size of the spare) circular thing that holds around 20 gallons of fuel. And higher than the fuel port.
Incidental of if I personally feel the need for it is not the point. It isn't my place to tell someone how much or where they must fuel up.
Living on a farm I have always had a bulk fuel tank near the house and barns. The farthest piece of land from the tank is well under a quarter mile.
Yet I remember doing the gas can relay more than once or twice. So distance isn't really the deciding factor. Fuel usage is. I don't give a crap if the next station is "in range" or not.
Get stuck once and your fuel can get burned up pretty fast trying to move 20'.
It is a foolish argument about how much is still useable in the tank. What he it has some magical "dimple" to get every drop. When the rig is sitting sideways at a 30* angle that dimple don't mean shit.

Alot of opinions on why this guy doesn't need extra gas. But the guys in Dubai! Anybody else got any experience 4 wheeling in Dubai? I didn't think so. LOL!

I think we need to stop using Southern California 4 wheeling trails as the litmus test for all 4 wheeling. It's simply not. Trails aren't the end all be all of 4 wheeling. Or adventure or overlanding trips in general. Simple long trips can get you in a fuel bind.

I think the moryde (hope I spelled that right) are the best solution. Expensive though. I wish someone would compete with them. They are ridiculously overpriced. I think a custom fabricator could do the same job for alot less.

Even if your mounts are only for water. It gets more mess out of the tiny storage area that is our TJ's. We need more discussion on this issue. Instead of "you simply don't need it". Human error number one. How many times have you started out with out filling up? Or just got tired on a long drive and missed a stop? Or it was late and the station was closed? Just as many good arguments for - as against.

Even if it's just for water storage. How nice to have an extra 10 gallons of water on board. Without crowding your back seat area. Especially if your a family or a 3 or 4 party member travelling in one TJ. You need more water and more room. These outside mounts are a godsend imho.

Dirtworx should make a similar mount as the Moryde. You know it would be about half the price.