MiRustyjeep

Today I finished up the rear half of my lift! All bolts are tightened up, bumpstops were made and installed, shocks mounted, etc. I'm not super happy with the rear shock set-up on a TJ. After cycling the suspension, the shocks do not appear to be in the correct position. I mean, they are installed in the factory location, but that doesn't work well. My track bar (on a relocation bracket) hits the crossmember before the shocks bottom out on compression. So..I installed 2" lift springs and had to add a 1.5" bumpstop extension to stop the contact. I still have about an inch of compression on the shock. Since the shock is biased higher than it should be, they are also limiting droop FAR before the springs come unseated. I'm going to buy some bar pin eliminators, which should shift the shocks to be more balanced in their travel. That is the Theory anyway. With the shock more in the middle of its travel at ride height, I should pick up some more droop and be closer to bottoming the travel of the shock out at the same time my track bar starts to contact the cross member. @jjvw or @mrblaine I'd appreciate either of your thoughts here.

One other thing I noticed is that the shock is nearly horizontal at full stuff. I can't imagine its doing any good at that kind of angle. I can almost guarantee that outboarding is in my future. It may be FAR into the future, but it just seems like something that should be done (and should have been done from the factory).

Finally, no post is complete without a pic...Here are my "custom" bumpstops. 1/2" in front and 1 1/2" in the rear. 2 1/8" diameter Aluminum. I bought the material from McMaster and spend an hour or so on the lathe at work. The material cost my 18 bucks or something. No, they are not as clever as the Currie ones, that incorporate a spring retainer, but for what I paid (both in $$ and my time) I'm happy I didn't buy bumpstop extensions.

May8k3LUp3sULk0MIoFumqF3BIA7UYKVBxNiKoqvKH1FH3EivMt9kKIj8KmNvOpBvbD52ic8dfQggprcl3M=w358-h635-no.jpg

So, your rear TB is the limiter? Can we change the TB's design to increase some uptravel and better balance the shocks?

So, your rear TB is the limiter? Can we change the TB's design to increase some uptravel and better balance the shocks?
I think the design is fine... It's the position of the trackbar that is giving me fits. If it were moved to the center of the axle, vs the rear tangent point, it would clear the cross member... It's that close. In fact, an adjustable trackbar and a relocation bracket that is designed for a DC driveshaft would get me clear, I reckon. The adjustable TB is needed to align the frame side and the axle side. The bracket would push the TB toward the front of the vehicle and let me clear the cross member.

I think the design is fine... It's the position of the trackbar that is giving me fits. If it were moved to the center of the axle, vs the rear tangent point, it would clear the cross member... It's that close. In fact, an adjustable trackbar and a relocation bracket that is designed for a DC driveshaft would get me clear, I reckon. The adjustable TB is needed to align the frame side and the axle side. The bracket would push the TB toward the front of the vehicle and let me clear the cross member.

Maybe, but we have to remember that the relocation bracket simulates the factory geometry so you don't get weird handling characteristics. With a small lift like you have, it may not contribute much.

Maybe, but we have to remember that the relocation bracket simulates the factory geometry so you don't get weird handling characteristics. With a small lift like you have, it may not contribute much.
Right... It puts the roll center closer to factory. Whether it's tipped at an angle or straight, the roll center is a function of how tall the bracket is.

My concern would more be binding, if I were running an angeled TB bracket.

Right... It puts the roll center closer to factory. Whether it's tipped at an angle or straight, the roll center is a function of how tall the bracket is.

My concern would more be binding, if I were running an angeled TB bracket.

Exactly! That is why you would also need an adjustable TB to relieve the binding. Try installing a factory TB with an angled TB relocation bracket and you'll experience the binding factor.

The BPE will shift the up travel into down travel, but they will also require more bumpstop extension if the bumps are set for the shocks.

Last edited:
Today I worked on my Gas tank Skid. I installed a Body lift, because I want to get more clearance under the Jeep. Phase two of my build (next year) will be a tummy tuck, but I wanted to experiment today...the Number 1 place I hit the underside of my Jeep is the gas tank skid. SO...I removed the straps and ordered new ones. The old ones are garbage. Word of warning...The tank skid will hold a TON of dirt and debris in in. I found a bunch of sand in mine. Its been sitting there, wet, rotting the metal...so YAAAAA, more rust repair. This is prior to me hitting it with my needle descaler.

29qrQm4MPZ2V0QPVNS_IR22ZJhxy4uZeH6ly3oDW6znrQgg4P1d7FF7w7cBf6wREhAB25bRXabRvDBBm9s=w1133-h638-no.jpg

First order of business was plan out my cuts...I wanted to take an 1" out of the skid, so I used some 1" think masking tape.
GP38zAxB2pM76FChzK1MXYIfFVU7_xoTkM-VrO3q05iMaY0TaeqywtulBwBCaJXnLzF4QklAJqWPN21jL4=w1133-h638-no.jpg

I traced the edges of the tape with my silver sharpie and it lift a nice sharp line to cut along.
yAkmuBa_oNwkCn_ELHpz3ye1SYm4fMSiVeUmMF8iCnOhhsPnP3V1mgf5VfaiMU2152M2sWjDjHX7ek9qD-=w1133-h638-no.jpg

Next step was take a deep breath and start cutting. Safety warning...don't do this near the gas tank or else...
mushroom_cloud-354x290.png

Here the tank is completely cut. I've cut the flanges off, then removed a 1 inch strip from each of them.

jL77SPQtsG2lkJcuYk6gE6vcPyjIj16a4RD3NsskhIpO7tdlOmlLGaEleGxNadSEKEAFRhUp5QxHTIITmhZ=w359-h637-no.jpg

Now, clean it up and use the metal glue gun to stick it back together.
PE4Hctnug-ulwWyK7nC1vVC_l78V4CJEe4nGPP7PFSpZi9s_evzz4kgYpmo4LYisD-_ShtCaDwV7umBR8O=w1133-h638-no.jpg

4qTE3fi_fLixLTUdfCPFaYNIWGHz1jlDgjft51q972g29RNPQGpL3C28yuSACJzRHk6Lk2_WhFVABiBdFf=w1133-h638-no.jpg

Since my tank skid was so rusty, I found one area that had thinned out considerably. It was probably down to half the thickness of the rest of the tank skid and it was starting to compromise the strength of the front of the mount. So, I grabbed some 16 ga sheet and cut a plate to reinforce the area.

RbyxWP0qVHX00BLPU3J7HiAUq3LHpmzfIjbiIHPIqYHuoScxmB5JNFm2A0FAaxwDTG3YTHmqtBoiubm6Zr=w1133-h638-no.jpg

After lots of grinding to prevent the patch from rubbing a hole in the poly tank, it was time for paint. Flat black for the inside and Bed Liner for the outside.
mGeYlYKjmn6Fxl8aXAvZ5dYtDvnTm-k2NAtEXFu_oHbRc8KLPpgymx_cn-NE6k-eQH3gbGC7ff3hSz6J_4=w1133-h638-no.jpg

q-_CzTUArduN_HKG7qU8NMcXDWt3KP47lBLTxHwHXwr7nbCb7mAp0MU7Mnpu_kprk209BXiXyA1dbC4YOn=w1133-h638-no.jpg

My new straps will be here Tuesday, so once I get them, I'll bolt the tank back in. My jeep will then be MOBILE!!!