Washington Naches / Funny Rocks

How early will you be in town Thursday? I was thinking if you want more for the drive and are here early enough we could could hit walker valley a bit... thurs.

Hey! I’ve been in Yellowstone, so my activity and cell service have been low. I don’t expect I will be able to get there early Thursday. Probably won’t be there till 6pm’ish. My week is work and figuring out the Autowbrake to tow my teardrop. If I can’t figure it out I’ll grab a tent, stove, bedding and make it work. Wife might come if I get the teardrop tow set up to work.

Jeremy

Hey, if y’all heading to the Reiter rock crawl
My buddy will be competing in a 97( I think Canadian Saraha) with 12” stretch outback Forrest green on 37’s

If ya see him (his name is Carl) tell
Him Mumblewood says Happy Birthday ya old fuck

Hey! I’ve been in Yellowstone, so my activity and cell service have been low. I don’t expect I will be able to get there early Thursday. Probably won’t be there till 6pm’ish. My week is work and figuring out the Autowbrake to tow my teardrop. If I can’t figure it out I’ll grab a tent, stove, bedding and make it work. Wife might come if I get the teardrop tow set up to work.

Jeremy

How was Yellowstone with the closures?

Reactions: reddvltj
How was Yellowstone with the closures?

The only two things that were still closed were the NW entrance near Mammoth and the NE entrance from Gardiner. Both the North and South Loops were fully open. Our base camp was at Yellowstone West, which looked to me like the best place to go everywhere from (other than staying within the park). Only area you couldn't get to was Lamar Valley.

Yellowstone was an amazing place. I'd never been before. We saw most of the major attractions and a lot of the minor ones. Next time we go we'll delve into some hikes. Very worth the trip. The whitewater rafting tour on the Gallatin was also worth it (class III and one class iv).

The only two things that were still closed were the NW entrance near Mammoth and the NE entrance from Gardiner. Both the North and South Loops were fully open. Our base camp was at Yellowstone West, which looked to me like the best place to go everywhere from (other than staying within the park). Only area you couldn't get to was Lamar Valley.

Yellowstone was an amazing place. I'd never been before. We saw most of the major attractions and a lot of the minor ones. Next time we go we'll delve into some hikes. Very worth the trip. The whitewater rafting tour on the Gallatin was also worth it (class III and one class iv).

Glad you’re able to enjoy it. We stayed in Yellowstone west last time we were there for the same reason.

Reactions: reddvltj and JMT
So went to replace my tie rod today and found issues with both ends, might be able to just put it back for Friday if I can't fix it right by then, but when looking around I found I have a bad u-joint on the driver front. Never replaced one myself so hopefully I can figure it out and make it Friday.

1658167336140.png

• Wow
So went to replace my tie rod today and found issues with both ends, might be able to just put it back for Friday if I can't fix it right by then, but when looking around I found I have a bad u-joint on the driver front. Never replaced one myself so hopefully I can figure it out and make it Friday.

View attachment 344013

Keep me in the loop!

U-Joints are pretty easy. I've never had a press. I just used some sockets, block of wood, and a small sledge and regular hammer. Just be careful not to bend the ears.

I need to go over mine too. I've got a creak that started up yesterday. It's probably nothing. I do need to grease my TR ends on Currie Currectlync Steering. Hopefully the grease will go right in without manipulating the angle.

Last edited:
@reddvltj

Hooking up a 7-pin so I can run the Autowbrake without the lights on.

Where should I mount the 7-pin harness? This is all I can come up with so far. 1.25” BL, but not enough space in that gap to mount it. In the location pictured below I could remove it when not needed. Still, drilling a couple of holes in the top of my bumper is not my favorite idea. At least it’s not under the bumper where I’ll knock it off!

0F5333DF-42EB-413A-8AE6-CED08A84BEBC.jpeg

7D053A9B-C330-408E-AB9C-CDF88E405444.jpeg

Last edited:
@reddvltj

Where should I mount the 7-pin harness? This is all I can come up with so far. 1.25” BL, but not enough space in that gap to mount it. In the location below I could remove it when not needed. Still, drilling a couple of holes in the top of my bumper is not my favorite idea. At least it’s not under the bumper where I’ll knock it off!

View attachment 344055

View attachment 344056

Hard for me to recommend anything, I ground off my trailer pigtail on rocks and haven't replaced it :D... that said it's kind of a personal choice I'd think other than what you already said, somewhere it won't get hit. Doing it to the side like that, just be aware to have enough cable to reach when turning right, you have to make sure it's not so long it'll droop/drag when turning left, which is why most are mounted more centrally.

Reactions: reddvltj and JMT
Hard for me to recommend anything, I ground off my trailer pigtail on rocks and haven't replaced it :D... that said it's kind of a personal choice I'd think other than what you already said, somewhere it won't get hit. Doing it to the side like that, just be aware to have enough cable to reach when turning right, you have to make sure it's not so long it'll droop/drag when turning left, which is why most are mounted more centrally.

Hmm….maybe just be safer and mount it more centrally. Sucks. I don’t like any of the mounting positions. Maybe off-center right so it’s more out of the way when opening the tailgate.
image.jpg

Dead center might look less conspicuous. 🤷‍♂️
image.jpg

• Sad
Sink it into the bumper

Thought of that. It’s not completely out of harms way there. Note scratches going up the face of the bumper. Thought about sinking it into the receiver, but same problem and worse. Recessed it will stick out 1 1/8”.

image.jpg

image.jpg

@reddvltj

Where should I mount the 7-pin harness? This is all I can come up with so far. 1.25” BL, but not enough space in that gap to mount it. In the location pictured below I could remove it when not needed. Still, drilling a couple of holes in the top of my bumper is not my favorite idea. At least it’s not under the bumper where I’ll knock it off!

View attachment 344055

View attachment 344056

I'm guessing you already have a 7 pin on the trailer?

It looks like you already have a flat 4 wired in and you ran a 5th wire to tie into the 7 pin?

If you're not too far along at this point It would probably be easier to make an adapter that plugs into your flat 4 and the 5th wire with a long enough set of wires so that you can just plug in the 7 pin on the tongue of the trailer and secure it there.

Edit, you could eventually make an adapter using something like this wired to your 7 pin that would normally mount on the tow rig. Notice the 5th wire is blue... for brakes!!:D
1658189962029.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
I'm guessing you already have a 7 pin on the trailer?

It looks like you already have a flat 4 wired in and you ran a 5th wire to tie into the 7 pin?

If you're not too far along at this point It would probably be easier to make an adapter that plugs into your flat 4 and the 5th wire with a long enough set of wires so that you can just plug in the 7 pin on the tongue of the trailer and secure it there.

Edit, you could eventually make an adapter using something like this wired to your 7 pin that would normally mount on the tow rig. Notice the 5th wire is blue... for brakes!!:D
View attachment 344103

I have a 4-pin on the Jeep. I have a 7-pin on the trailer. I bought a 4-pin to 7-pin adapter for my Jeep. I have to run a 12v power wire to the 7-pin and tap into the brake wire which I’ve already identified. The ground is easy, just tap into the frame somewhere. I don’t really need the reverse wire so I’m leaving it.

Are you saying mount the 7pin harness on the trailer and use quick disconnects for the others (reverse, power, and ground)?

I have a 4-pin on the Jeep. I have a 7-pin on the trailer. I bought a 4-pin to 7-pin adapter for my Jeep. I have to run a 12v power wire to the 7-pin and tap into the brake wire which I’ve already identified. The ground is easy, just tap into the frame somewhere. I don’t really need the reverse wire so I’m leaving it.

Are you saying mount the 7pin harness on the trailer and use quick disconnects for the others (reverse, power, and ground)?
Basically yes...

Use your existing flat 4 (or you could swap it out for a flat 5 that has the additional wire for the brakes), get a trailer side flat 4 and a quick connect for the 5th wire. Take the pigtail (trailer side flat 4 and additional wire) and wire it to the (truck side) 7 pin you have in your pictures. All you'd be making is a plug in adapter to a 7 pin that can reach the tongue of the trailer. Then when you get where you're going just unplug the flat four and 1 quick connect wire and the adapter stays with the trailer.

I've got a few home made adapters in the shop that I can brake out tomorrow and give you a better visual of what I'm describing.

• Love
Reactions: JMT