Picking up where I left off

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far it’s really damn impressive. I can tell you that this thing handles and performs better than a bone stock TJ on 31s in every department other than power. It’s a real treat to drive and the only time I’ve ever really felt like I want to actually daily drive a TJ.
Just wait for the SwayLoc, it’s firmer than the factory sway bar and is really a great upgrade for street driving. If I didn’t daily mine I’d probably not bother, but I can’t wait to get it in.

The passenger side is slightly thicker than the Antirock arms, so you may get some new rub there under flex.

Hmmm, that's something to consider as well. That trail was so much more enjoyable to do with an auto.

The only place the manual was better was driving on-road where it was a bit more peppy. As far as off-roading goes, there's no question I prefer the auto ten fold.
If you try and make a case that the auto improves traction, that opens a can of worms from all the pissed off manual owners that isn't worth it. The better way to look at it is you have all the pieces working together much better now. Or put another way, nothing is taking away from the stuff the other bits are doing. It is balanced with no bad habits and that's what makes the end result so pleasant. There is a neat thing about an auto where you can give it just enough throttle to get it moving and the hold it there. Really helpful on obstacles where you need to keep the tires right at the limit of adhesion. Once it starts moving, resist the urge to give it more throttle.

Just wait for the SwayLoc, it’s firmer than the factory sway bar and is really a great upgrade for street driving. If I didn’t daily mine I’d probably not bother, but I can’t wait to get it in.

The passenger side is slightly thicker than the Antirock arms, so you may get some new rub there under flex.
It will rub on the left side sooner. The arm on that side is welded in the middle of the two splined slugs for the sway bars to tie them together. That moves the arm outboard further than the one on the right side.

It will rub on the left side sooner. The arm on that side is welded in the middle of the two splined slugs for the sway bars to tie them together. That moves the arm outboard further than the one on the right side.
Good to know, I didn’t inspect that side as closely as the lever on jjvw’s.

There is a neat thing about an auto where you can give it just enough throttle to get it moving and the hold it there. Really helpful on obstacles where you need to keep the tires right at the limit of adhesion. Once it starts moving, resist the urge to give it more throttle.
This is exactly what I felt on it. I could basically go slower and keep the throttle steadier whereas my dad in his manual kept slipping on it. Most other things equal between us.

Reactions: Wildman and Chris
This is exactly what I felt on it. I could basically go slower and keep the throttle steadier whereas my dad in his manual kept slipping on it. Most other things equal between us.
The np231 wasn't doing you any favors either. The 5:1 completely transformed my jeep off-road. So much more control. Combine that with the PSC and it feels like a completely different jeep.

The np231 wasn't doing you any favors either. The 5:1 completely transformed my jeep off-road. So much more control. Combine that with the PSC and it feels like a completely different jeep.
I’m sure I would love a manual with 5:1. Would add that missing control!

Reactions: Wildman

That’s how I felt yesterday. I was able to go super slow with the 4:1 and keep the throttle much steadier.

Is there anything I need to grind away and clearance before installing the SwayLOC?

That’s how I felt yesterday. I was able to go super slow with the 4:1 and keep the throttle much steadier.

Is there anything I need to grind away and clearance before installing the SwayLOC?
Just have to deal with the bumper corner screws. Get that tap for the 5/16-18 heli-coil kit so you can put the inserts in for the bumper corner screws.

Reactions: Chris and Alex01
Took the TJ out today for a few hours with my neighbor to give it a shakedown run on Elvis Trail which is minutes from my house.

The first thing I noticed upon hitting the washboard roads was how smooth it rode with the new shocks. I was flying down those roads and it was soaking them up like they weren't even there. That's impressive as hell since before this they could be quite jarring.

Once on the trails and getting into the obstacles, it was apparent how much better the TJ was at crawling over things. In fact, there is one waterfall that the TJs can never seem to make it up if you take this one line. The TJ Unlimited guys can usually walk right up it due to the longer wheelbase, but the regular TJs can never seem to make it. Mine of course walked right up it (which it couldn't do before). After speaking with Blaine, this is a result of the outboard shocks which provide more traction on obstacles like this.

Another thing that I didn't actually even think about until I was all done with the trail was how I was able to climb over all those rocks and not once did I ever have to fight with my steering. In fact, the steering was so damn good and natural feeling that it didn't even register in my brain until the very end. The PSC steering has proven to be a phenomenal upgrade. It feels so natural that unless you knew it was there, you'd think it was just a really damn good factory steering.

All-in-all, I've got some time on it and so far I have yet to find anything I'm disappointed with or that I would change other than perhaps the harnesses, which were my idea anyways.
You still running the Fox 2.0's?

So far it’s really damn impressive. I can tell you that this thing handles and performs better than a bone stock TJ on 31s in every department other than power. It’s a real treat to drive and the only time I’ve ever really felt like I want to actually daily drive a TJ.
I felt the same way. It wasn't always my first choice. Until Blaine
Fun to drive the jeep, but I have much better riding cars! So, jeep was never my "go to" vehicle, and I didn't think that would change.
I guess I lied to Blaine when I told him I wouldn't much daily drive, (this bitch is NOW a trail rig) or, over 65 mph. o_O Now, first choice, jeep! Beautiful, killer day out. Vette-no. Jeep grand Cherokee-no. F250-no.
Old ass TJ-I'm coming, baby, coming! Unless I have a very specific task, it's gonna be the jeep.
It's that good!
Thanks again, jeep deity!

Thanks to Blaine, I just went through this successfully with the SwayLoc and Savvy bumper. I used these to make it all work together.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H0STYME/?tag=wranglerorg-20
20210320_103104-jpg.jpg

20210320_102915-jpg.jpg

fwyafqc-jpg.jpg

kvzymxy-jpg.jpg

Chris: I can feel that the ride is nicer but what’s like a major difference with the out board?

Me: Well I can do this (I throw the jeep into a downhill turn at about 40 mph with out slowing)

Chris: (while laughing) I wouldn’t have even tried that in my other jeeps!

like he said you don’t know until you know. I love driving my jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.