Pulling 6x12 U-Haul Trailer with TJ?

Ya I wont be doing it I was looking into smaller trailer option over the night like a 5 x 10 maybe if I could find one that weighs around 1100. I'll probably try and find a decently cheap moving company as I dont want to put others at risk.
That is what I tow, a 5x10 Mirage Cargo trailer, empty, 900#. I decide what tools to haul based on that 2000# limit.

Squatch, Sorry to hear about you learning your lesson the hard way. Luckily it seems to have been almost the easiest of the hard ways.
Thank you. It was, save for the total destruction of the trailer, much of its contents, and the delayed shock that I encountered a couple of days later (that was freaky, let me tell you). It definitely taught me a valuable lesson regarding trailer loads and tow rigs. ;)

Reactions: Head Lice
Rent a Uhaul truck and car trailer. Trailer the Jeep.

When I moved here from Texas about 20 years ago, I had a Bronco II. I hauled it here on a car trailer behind the U-Haul truck. I learned the hard way as well.

In the mid '80s, I was moving from Texarkana to Pensacola Florida. I rented one of those double axle U-Haul trailers like pictured above and towed it with my daily driver '80 CJ5 (GM 2.5 & 4 spd) to Pensacola. For about 2/3s of the way, it was going great and I was running between 55 and 60. Then while going over a bridge grating (think it was a draw bridge) somewhere along the Gulf Coast, the trailer started wagging everything and I had to come to a complete stop in the middle of I-10 to stop it. I took the next exit, and drove on the secondary highways at 45 to 50 for the last third of the trip. Nope, not doing that again.

And is also why when I was looking for a new Jeep last year, I was looking at CJ6s and LJs. I wanted the longer wheelbase so I can tow a small trailer safely.

Rent a Uhaul truck and car trailer. Trailer the Jeep.

^^ This.

You don't need to rent the 26' truck; the 15' truck should be enough to tow your jeep on a car hauler trailer. U-haul can advise you of the tow limits for the various rental trucks and the load capacity for their auto transport trailer.

https://www.uhaul.com/Truck-Rentals/

Then while going over a bridge grating (think it was a draw bridge) somewhere along the Gulf Coast, the trailer started wagging everything and I had to come to a complete stop in the middle of I-10 to stop it. I took the next exit, and drove on the secondary highways at 45 to 50 for the last third of the trip. Nope, not doing that again.
When a trailer starts doing that it's usually always caused by insufficient tongue weight. Repositioning your Bronco a little further forward on the trailer very likely would have cured the problem.

This video does an excellent job of showing what happens when there is insufficient tongue weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch and TJ4Jim
What about installing a tow bar on the Jeep and flat towing it behind a uhaul truck? It would save on the trailer rental and you could load up the Jeep with lighter items and rent a smaller truck. You might be able to find a used tow bar or buy one and sell it when your done. Unfortunately you will have to come up with another option. As stated in previous post U-Haul won't allow you to rent the trailer.
On a side note here is my PSA about towing.
I towed an U-haul 6x12 with a 95 F150 from AZ to CO in my youth. Halfway accross New Mexico all hell broke loose. I thought the trailer had come unhitched until my back wheel passed me on the freeway. I'm still not sure how I didn't roll the truck. The shop that repaired it said they had seen it before. People over tourque their lug nuts and weaken the studs. Now when I buy a used vehicle I add new wheel studs to my list of maintenance tasks. It is one of the first things I have done for all of my Jeeps, especially with oversized tires.

We tow heavy on our Alaska Highway trips . . . tri-axle trailers, and lots of truck to pull them.
The secret to safe towing is the adjusting of the hitch/tongue weight. This has to be done, as we may be bringing back 2,000 + lbs. of moose meat.
Check your loads often, don't over drive the road, and learn brake application !

Reactions: Squatch
The reason I can't rent a u haul truck is because I have a breathalyzer in my jeep and any vehicle I drive needs one I got a dui back in 2014 but havent driven since than now that I'm finally driving again the condition stays on my liscense for 6 months. Otherwise I would rent a truck and pull the jeep.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford