Rocky Wrangler LJ Build

Call Metalcloak, they'll have recommendations for starting on a LJ, I know they did for me. I started there and adjusted for pinion angles and caster from there.

Funny thing happened after picking up the Jeep from the gear shop. I knew that the speedo would be off a bit. I pulled out my phone and turned on the gps to check the difference. Wow. Much bigger than I thought. The gps said I was going 65 but the speedo said 90. I laughed at the thought of the LJ doing 90 mph. Funnier still was as I pushed the speed a little more, I discovered an apparent govenor on the speedo. At about 97 it cut power.

So is that really what it is? A govenor? Or something else?

Reactions: rasband
Thanks for the tip. I'll be on the phone with them a couple of times at least.... :picknose:
I was really impressed with their tech support. I had a shop install my arms and totally made up the settings as they were going along. After several trips back to the shop I gave up on their ability to get it right. MC support was great working with me on measurements and settings.

Any particular reason why you are putting a SYE and new drive shaft into your build? I believe the LJ can get by with a 4" lift using the stock shaft.

Any particular reason why you are putting a SYE and new drive shaft into your build? I believe the LJ can get by with a 4" lift using the stock shaft.
Well.......there are a couple of reasons. One is that the TC is the last component of the driveline that has not been worked on. Two....it's making noise (squeak that is drive and speed sensitive) and I would have to open it up anyway. Three....since I'm already there, I may as well upgrade so I don't have to do it later.....if I decide to go taller on the lift..... :headbang:

Reactions: LJGreg
So I got the lift installed.....and ONE fender flare......then I ran out of time. It looks awesome on that one side. Other side looks ridiculous right now though. I'll have some more time tonight to get the other side on.

Lift was a task. I feel pretty good about it though. It was the first time doing anything like this so it was a fairly big accomplishment for me.

I'll post some after pics when I get the fenders on it.

Good looking LJ Devil Dog!!
I have the Metal Cloak 3.5" on my 05 LJ and it flexes and rides amazing!!!
I retired from the Corps 3 years ago, glad to see a fellow Leatherneck enjoying an LJ!!

20181104_163148 (1).jpg

A bit of an update on the build.......

Gears are installed (5:13)
SYE and new drive shaft installed
Metalcloak 3.5” suspension lift installed
Oil pan skid plate installed
MetalCloak front and rear fenders installed
Transmission changed
New diff covers installed
Cooper 35 mud tires installed
Blue Monkey speedo healer installed
Curry tie rod and drag link
OME steering stabilizer

Left to finish:
Install rocker panel guards
Final adjustments for fenders

Still have a small vibration above 60mph. The vibe was terrible without the sye and new drive shaft. After it has calmed down significantly but it’s still there. Any ideas???

Pics will be out by the end of the week.

Last edited:
So I pulled the front drive shaft and all vibration and noise disappeared. Alignment place told me that I need a new drive shaft for the front.

Any opinion about that?

So I pulled the front drive shaft and all vibration and noise disappeared. Alignment place told me that I need a new drive shaft for the front.

Any opinion about that?

No, you don’t need a new one. You more than likely just need to have it balanced for a higher speed / RPM by a capable driveshaft shop.