Shock Comparison: Rancho RS5000X vs Skyjacker Black Max vs KYB Monotube

So I thought I would put my thoughts out there since I have had all 3 on the same TJ.

I started with the KYB Monomax and I did not like them at all, way too stiff and got rid of them pretty quick for Ranchos. While running the KYBs, I was stock height the whole time and only really saw on road action.

With running the Rancho RS5000X, the ride got better than the KYB by quite a bit, but I still did not like them when going over the rutted/potholed roads around where I live. I had these with both stock height and a 2in lift. They were okay on dirt roads and sand but you would feel all the hard hits in the dunes. Ultimately one of the rears gave out in less than a year and leaked all over so not thrilled on reliability. They were also all rusted out in that short time frame.

Recently I had the SJ Black Maxes and I can finally say I found a shock that was decent on road and soaked up the washboard asphalt roads in town. Off road they were more comfortable and in the sand dunes I could go faster without feeling the hard hits that I did with the Ranchos. These were only with a 2in lift

In the end if I were to get a budget shock of these 3, it would be the Skyjackers. But now I am making the transition to Fox adjustable 2.0 resi shocks and they feel even more better for like 3x the cost but I am at the point of wanting to go faster with what I do. Ill probably move the Skyjackers to my daily LJ.

Reactions: SSTJ
With running the Rancho RS5000X, the ride got better than the KYB by quite a bit, but I still did not like them when going over the rutted/potholed roads around where I live. I had these with both stock height and a 2in lift. They were okay on dirt roads and sand but you would feel all the hard hits in the dunes. Ultimately one of the rears gave out in less than a year and leaked all over so not thrilled on reliability. They were also all rusted out in that short time frame.

Thinking about going to the black maxes at some point in the near future. I went with the ranchos based off the opinions on the forum and was thoroughly disappointed. The shocks honestly aren't too much better than the rough countries that I had... My review would be very similar to yours about these shocks. Before anyone asks I am running load c tires at 24-26 psi around town.

Reactions: DougyintheBushies