Slow and Steady

I know 4.88's are the recommended gear for the 2.5l, 5 speed, with 33's. But now that Revolution makes a 5.13 set for the Dana 30 and Dana 35, that's very tempting. I'd like to eventually go to 35's, and since re-gearing is something most people only want to do once, 5.13's seem like a good option at the moment.

You're fucking brave man... 35" tires on a 4 banger?
I know I might be crazy, but that's what the 5.13's would theoretically be for. I believe Blaine has mentioned that he wheels with a guy that has a 4 banger, 35's, Super 35 kit, and 5.13's; and while it won't win any races on the highway, he hangs with them out in JV. And if I get the 5.13's and decide that 33's really are the max, then I'm fine staying there. It's important to not fear the gear with the 2.5l:grinning-smiley-048:

As long as you don't plan on doing much highway driving with it, I'm sure you'd be fine... But got, that thing would be such a dog, even with 5.13 gears... Well, in my mind at least. I've never actually experienced it though, so who am I to talk!

5.13's would be a pretty serious jump from 4.10's. But there's no way it could be as much of a dog as it is now. I'm not sure I even remember how to shift into 5th gear at this point. But looking at it on a engine RPM calc, the 5.13's with 35's is very similar to 33's and 4.88's. But that's theoretical, so real world may very likely be different.

I'm just kicking the idea of 5.13's around a little bit right now. Obviously 4.88's and 33's with the 4 banger is tried and true. There's not many threads that I can find about running 5.13's with the 4 banger because until Revolution came along, you could only get 4.88's for the Dana 30 and Dana 35. So it'd definitely be an experiment of sorts. Like I said, don't fear the gear.

Last edited:
I have considered 4.88 with 31's and 6 spd. 65 is roughly 3k rpm so not bad on the 2.4. I don't drive past 65-70 max anyway. If you even have the slightest inkling of 35's go with the 5.13.

Reactions: Chris and PStov98TJ
I have considered 4.88 with 31's and 6 spd. 65 is roughly 3k rpm so not bad on the 2.4. I don't drive past 65-70 max anyway. If you even have the slightest inkling of 35's go with the 5.13.
That was my thinking. I never really go past 75 when I'm in the Jeep anyway...well theoretically I wouldn't, because I only see 75 on a down hill with a tail wind at the moment.

Doing the calculations again, with 33's, 4.88's, doing 75mph in 5th gear, RPM's would be 3168; with 5.13's I'd be riding at 3,330. Under the same conditions, 35's would produce 2,987 RPM's with 4.88's and 3,140 RPM's with 5.13's. So nothing ridiculous in any scenario. While offroad, I wouldn't mind the slightly slower crawl speed with the 5.13's if I stayed with the 33's either.

Look up Nate's build thread on JF. He rocks a Dana 35 on the 4 banger and is pretty impressive, granted he's done a ton of work on that particular rig.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
IMG_5658.JPG

Here's an example of why you should use anti-seize on everything. The threads of the #4 plug broke off clean with the engine. Luckily, the ceramic came out in one piece and didn't drop into the cylinder.

Reactions: Chris
That's not good! Were you able to get the treaded part out of the head?
It did come out eventually. Unfortunately, I had to take it to a shop because it was over my head at that point because I was working in the parking lot of my apartment. But luckily the head didn't have to get pulled to remove it.

Yikes. Have never seen a plug do that before.
Yeah, I thought changing the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor would be a nice little distraction from school for a minute. Had a huge test (4 actually) on Monday and decided to get a little down time and do some maintenance. #3 plug came out nice and easy. Got onto the #4 plug and when it broke lose, something just didn't feel right about it. Once I saw what happened, I lost my temper a bit and introduced my neighbors to some very colorful language. Luckily, she's ok.

I did have the shop go ahead and change our the rest of the ignition system. Since I had already bought the parts, I figured any other major problems could be someone else issue at that point.

I'll never forget the time I bought a car with a stripped spark plug hole. Spark plug popped out of the cylinder head while driving.

Luckily I was able to get crafty and install a hili-coil in the damage hole, while the cylinder head was still on the vehicle! I used a high powered vacuum to vacuum all the metal shavings out of the cylinder.

I'll never forget the time I bought a car with a stripped spark plug hole. Spark plug popped out of the cylinder head while driving.

Luckily I was able to get crafty and install a hili-coil in the damage hole, while the cylinder head was still on the vehicle! I used a high powered vacuum to vacuum all the metal shavings out of the cylinder.
That's insane... I imagine that thing came out of that cylinder like a damn bullet.

That's insane... I imagine that thing came out of that cylinder like a damn bullet.

Surprisingly it didn't put a dent in the hood. But I remember driving down the highway and all of a sudden it was like it was misfiring every which way. Pulled over, opened the hood, and there's the spark plug, attached to the wire, blown out of it's hole!

Some asshole who owned the vehicle before me was obviously either cross threading the spark plugs, or they were torquing them down beyond hand tight.

Surprisingly it didn't put a dent in the hood. But I remember driving down the highway and all of a sudden it was like it was misfiring every which way. Pulled over, opened the hood, and there's the spark plug, attached to the wire, blown out of it's hole!

Some asshole who owned the vehicle before me was obviously either cross threading the spark plugs, or they were torquing them down beyond hand tight.
I bet that was quite the surprise!

Reactions: Chris