Snatch block recommendations?

That is actually a picture of my personal Genright rear plate bumper. Anything of the sort is close enough. Some people have done less and achieved similar results. A hitch with a soft shackle around the pin is good enough assuming that the soft shackle isn't forced against any sharp edges. As long as the end of the receiver is dull enough for pulls that involve a significant angle, you should be good. Even a stock receiver is good enough for that but smoothing it out can't hurt.

Oh haha, did not realize it was your photo, what a coincidence! I had saved it a while ago and added to my "to do" list .. and of course it never got done. Thanks for reminding me here.

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
Oh haha, did not realize it was your photo, what a coincidence! I had saved it a while ago and added to my "to do" list .. and of course it never got done. Thanks for reminding me here.

I went a bit overboard when it came to smoothing out my recovery points. You can do the same thing without as much effort. I did the same thing to my Warn front bumper before I shipped it out to @JMT and replaced it with a Savvy front bumper. You can achieve the same result without as much effort. Soft shackles aren't that sensitive.

Reactions: psrivats
I went a bit overboard when it came to smoothing out my recovery points. You can do the same thing without as much effort. I did the same thing to my Warn front bumper before I shipped it out to @JMT and replaced it with a Savvy front bumper. You can achieve the same result without as much effort. Soft shackles aren't that sensitive.
I feel perfectly safe using a soft shackle in the files down recovery points on the Warn bumper you sent me. The bumper really made my rig what it needed to be.

A755C984-5ADE-4CE6-9D0B-0ACB3755C474.jpeg
C310DFB9-F337-4CC2-80FD-5A290FA184B0.jpeg

291356DD-7F50-4252-BE99-A8356B931CD0.jpeg

CF164876-E89F-4AE1-8E42-5FE75FC55AEA.jpeg

On my bumpers, I just knocked the hard edge down with a round file. I've attached to many other bumpers that aren't mine and I don't pay attention to those. So far, the soft shackles show no wear or tear. Obviously it's best to have rounded connections, but not having them isn't going to lead to instant failure.

The reality is that soft shackles are a consumable item. Use them and replace them if they start to fray. This is one reason I have several.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garza
I hope this is as good a thread as any to ask this question.

What do you guys think about the tree saver soft shackle from TRE? It should be plenty strong, no questions there. If one has a safety thimble, they should be able to directly connect to the tree saver shackle, right? Wouldn't this be the most "minimal" connection possible like @jjvw always emphasizes? I guess one negative is potential damage to the tree/bark since it's not a wide as a typical tree strap.

I'll get one eventually. The tree shackle would be nice to have because it is another option to make simple connections.

Just ordered two more snatch blocks and two more soft shackles. Now my kit will have all three TRE snatch blocks in it. Light weight and strong. I keep three in the rig so I can pull the Jeep backwards if needed and it has come in handy many times for recovery’s as well.

Last edited:
Do any of ya'll understand why the hole in the axle is rounded to accept a soft shackle?
I assumed it was for a secondary soft shackle safety line. But we all know what assumptions do. I could also see using it to help direct the pull with another anchor.

Last edited:
No but I had noticed and was wondering.
If you need to run double snatch blocks, that is an attachment for the end of the winch line on one. More importantly if you are doing a heavy recovery with a large anchor strap, you can run a large soft shackle through that hole and around the anchor strap in case the snatch block breaks. Not likely but it is nice to have a way to create a safety net.

Reactions: tworley
I hope this is as good a thread as any to ask this question.

What do you guys think about the tree saver soft shackle from TRE? It should be plenty strong, no questions there. If one has a safety thimble, they should be able to directly connect to the tree saver shackle, right? Wouldn't this be the most "minimal" connection possible like @jjvw always emphasizes? I guess one negative is potential damage to the tree/bark since it's not a wide as a typical tree strap.

Damage to the tree is a non issue. I tested smaller diameter soft shackles for well over a year to make sure this wasn't a problem. Even at the smaller diameters it isn't, but ultimately chose the size of the Tree-Saver Soft Shackle to cover the minimum strength I was comfortable with for all situations it would be used.

And you are correct, it was designed to eliminate a connection point when used with the Safety Thimble.

Ricky

If you need to run double snatch blocks, that is an attachment for the end of the winch line on one. More importantly if you are doing a heavy recovery with a large anchor strap, you can run a large soft shackle through that hole and around the anchor strap in case the snatch block breaks. Not likely but it is nice to have a way to create a safety net.

Another more likely case would be running the longer soft shackle to a secondary anchor during a heavy pull should the main anchor fail, you eliminate a flying snatch-block?

Reactions: Rescue6
Damage to the tree is a non issue. I tested smaller diameter soft shackles for well over a year to make sure this wasn't a problem. Even at the smaller diameters it isn't, but ultimately chose the size of the Tree-Saver Soft Shackle to cover the minimum strength I was comfortable with for all situations it would be used.

And you are correct, it was designed to eliminate a connection point when used with the Safety Thimble.

Ricky

I already ordered one 🙂 I like things that work well as a system.

Another more likely case would be running the longer soft shackle to a secondary anchor during a heavy pull should the main anchor fail, you eliminate a flying snatch-block?
Flying block stoppage for certain but more along the lines of dropping whatever you are trying to recover. Not any goodness to be had letting a rig flop over backwards on some dumbass waterfall.

Ours is 1.25" wide with a 1.75" width at the axle O.D. weighs 2lbs and is specifically designed for use with soft-shackles, but still accepts a standard 3/4" bow shackle if that's your thing.

Ricky

0922201916~2.jpg