Tailgate Conversion

Stinger

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
looking to change my tailgate to a drop down. Seems SWAG is the leader in this topic. Anyone have personal experience with their product or any other!

I hesitate to add my opinion with a drop-down tail gate since I don't own one, I've only been around them a couple times on the trail. I actually wanted one until seeing them in use. Sure it makes for a nice 'table' to set your lunch and drinks on but that benefit probably won't outweigh its disadvantage that will become more apparent over time.

My impression is they look cool and it's a fun mod. But the couple times I was around one, I decided it was a back-breaker since you have to lean way over it to retrieve tools, drinks, etc. inside the rear area, or crawl up on top of it to reach anything. Most of us are in and out of the backs of our TJs multiple times when we're offroading and I'd have to think having to lean over the drop-down tailgate to get to anything would get old really fast. I am convinced that is the reason Jeep abandoned the drop-down and went to the swingout style of tailgate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I hear you. Gonna do it anyway. :) Also building a shelf to make my cargo area two compartments. The spare and heavy stuff like tool boxes, spare parts on the bottom and Duh light stuff on top with a type of cargo net to security.
We are gearing up for the Rubicon Jeepers Jamboree in July:):)

A drop down tailgate seems like it would be a lot nicer than a swing out tailgate... I'm interested.

I plan on using stock CJ hinges. Where I'm stuck at, til I get my tailgate, is creating a latch that can be opened from the outside. From what I see online, you have to reach in to unlatch the gate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I agree with Jerry Bransford.

Yesterday, I took my daughter to say goodbye to the ranch property where I've been wheeling, hiking and shooting for nearly 50 years. Got the TJ all muddy and showed her a good time. We stopped by the large tank (lake to you furriners) for some shooting. I showed her how nicely the Outback Trailgater table worked for our guns and ammo, while letting me easily reach in and touch the backs of the front seats. I installed it because I missed having the tailgate on my Scouts and 'Cruisers to use as a work area, but I like the Jeep swing out gate, with a folding table, much more than a drop down tailgate, and for the same reasons Jerry mentions. Being able to reach the entire cargo area easily is a big deal to me.

Looks to me like if you have to fit a swing out spare wheel carrier to use a drop down tailgate, you have cured the main problem with the standard gate and if you fit a simple drop down table on that you have a win win situation. I have run many Land Rovers with drop down tailgates and can only say that if you need to reach anything in the load bed, you have to climb on to it.

IMAG0006_BURST003.jpg