Tailgate Mounted Tire Carrier

i think having a rear mounted spare has much to do with the rig and the wheeling its intended for. Personally my rig will be used for overland and expedition of canadian rockies. for me i need the cargo space and that means rear tire carrier. If i could afford all the upgrades i'd be headed for 40's instead of 37's.
Not to derail the thread, but understand that if you build it right for 37’s, you’ve already built for 40’s. There really is no middle ground between 35’s and 40’s.

I'm curious how strong they are when used that way (side loaded).
They aren't really side loaded much, the top one is pulling out and the bottom is pushing in and the forces are massively less than holding an axle pulling and pushing a two ton Jeep. The tire is just dead weight.

They aren't really side loaded much, the top one is pulling out and the bottom is pushing in and the forces are massively less than holding an axle pulling and pushing a two ton Jeep. The tire is just dead weight.
Seems to me, that when the tailgate is closed, most of the weight is straight down (through the joint).

Reactions: pagrey
Seems to me, that when the tailgate is closed, most of the weight is straight down (through the joint).
Okay, I think the main forces are trying to rotate the carrier and not pull down, it makes a big difference in the way the things interact. For example removing the top bolt the joint would slide out and drop the tire, there would be almost no downward force to friction hold the joint in place. If downward was the main force the joint wouldn't move. Doesn't really matter though, I mean I don't want to go on too much about it.

I don't wheel hard like many of you, but I live in the NE. Our roads are an absolute joke. The Exogate is the next item on my to-do list. I do like the OR Fab with the cans attached (Sold Out at the moment), and maybe I'll go that route by the time I am ready to pull the trigger but it is kind of overkill for my use and 33's.

Hijack!
I've been thinking about making the move to a body mounted tire carrier lately. MORryde is definitely my fall back, but I cam across this one today.
http://crawlerconceptz.com/index.php/tj-body-mounted-tire-carrier.html
Didn't know if anyone has had any experience or thoughts on it? If it has all the tie in brackets, it could work well. All I want to carry on the back is a spare tire (33") a shovel, axe, and my trasharoo.
for who is wondering, this company is long out of business

Reactions: SvtLdr
Well... that makes sense why the link doesn't work then. thanks
I went through hoops trying to figure them out. They are actually in trouble for taking a bunch of orders (money) then disappearing. Luckily I wasn't one of those people.
There is one guy with their carrier on here (can't remember his name off the top of my head), but overall they had a really good product.

Edit: I found him haha

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/korra-a-daily-driven-and-trail-ready-sahara.28181/

Last edited: