Tire Rack?

I just tried to get a set of 5 rims and 33" tires from Tirerack, but they called and said since the Dick Cepek Blackout rims were 15x8 they couldn't mount and balance the 33"'s for liability reasons, that I need a min of 5.8 width to do 33's

Interesting how wide were the tires you were trying to get? I assume you mean 8.5 width?

Lots of people running 15x8s even with 33x12.5

Last edited:
I just tried to get a set of 5 rims and 33" tires from Tirerack, but they called and said since the Dick Cepek Blackout rims were 15x8 they couldn't mount and balance the 33"'s for liability reasons, that I need a min of 5.8 width to do 33's
I just got that same call also!!
But they told me that they wont be able to get the tire to fit, but he would try. If he can't they are going to put them on 15x10's

I didn't get the liability issue, but now it is going to be a surprise to what actually shows up. I hope they don't give me crap about they couldn't balance it right because I am ordering something custom.

I ordered 33x12.5x15's and a 5x8 wheel and they said that the tire manufacture says they're 33x12.5 needs to go on a minumum of a 5x8.5 but I could us a smaller tire. I was like oh hell no. I said if they can't work it out, put it on a 15x10 rim. We'll see from here.

I just got that same call also!!
But they told me that they wont be able to get the tire to fit, but he would try. If he can't they are going to put them on 15x10's

I didn't get the liability issue, but now it is going to be a surprise to what actually shows up. I hope they don't give me crap about they couldn't balance it right because I am ordering something custom.

I ordered 33x12.5x15's and a 5x8 wheel and they said that the tire manufacture says they're 33x12.5 needs to go on a minumum of a 5x8.5 but I could us a smaller tire. I was like oh hell no. I said if they can't work it out, put it on a 15x10 rim. We'll see from here.

They had the Cepek on clearance and I liked the look. I have a friend that that has a VW shop and happens to have a tire machine, so I just ordered them not mounted and balanced and took them over to my buddy to get them done. I'm waiting until my JKS body lift arrives then I'll put them on, Just got the TJ Saturday for a great deal so left me with some $$ to get some goodies, OME lift will happen in 2 weeks

Reactions: JMT and ac_
Feel free

@tomtaylz did you have any problems with balancing those on those rims? I mean how many times did it take to get it right?

I didn't have any issues, seemed fine for me the first time although I can admit I'm not the biggest stickler for perfectly balanced tires so I can't speak to if they're a bit off but drove fine and drove straight.

Reactions: ac_
I didn't have any issues, seemed fine for me the first time although I can admit I'm not the biggest stickler for perfectly balanced tires so I can't speak to if they're a bit off but drove fine and drove straight.

I realize this isn't a Ferrari either, but I don't like the car to ride like I am losing a wheel at 60 haha. I can handle a small vibration that lasts 5 miles an hour, but I have been getting things from discount tire like my Jeep was coming apart. And like 12 ounces of weight in the front and back of the brand new rim and tire.

I imagine it will be fine. Tire Rack says they road force balance them, and that combo is pretty popular so I think they will be able to get it the first time. It is not like I am inventing anything here, but I kind of half expect them to put them on 10's to be honest.

Please don't get 10" wide wheels! I beg you!
I am not sure I am going to have a choice, but I just got a text update that still says 5x8 so, so far so good. I am half expecting a call later in the week but crossing my fingers. If I do have to 5x10 I hope they call me, so I can change the rim with a different offset, because if I get a 5x10 at this offset the tires are going to stick out so far, it will look like an elephant on roller skates.

Reactions: tomtaylz
run a 1050 wide tire brah. That should satisfy the lawyers.

P.S. you run a 10" wide wheel and you are dead to me sir! I'm not mess'n!

20180724_160407.jpg
Here's my new shoes

They don't make a 10inch wide tire in the Cooper stt pro, but yeah I never thought of actually telling them to put a BF MT on instead. I will keep that in mind if they give me a call later in the week.

That is bull!

I am not sure I am going to have a choice, but I just got a text update that still says 5x8 so, so far so good. I am half expecting a call later in the week but crossing my fingers. If I do have to 5x10 I hope they call me, so I can change the rim with a different offset, because if I get a 5x10 at this offset the tires are going to stick out so far, it will look like an elephant on roller skates.
If a tire shop said that to me I wouldn’t let them touch my Jeep because they obviously don’t know you know what.

Reactions: ac_
If a tire shop said that to me I wouldn’t let them touch my Jeep because they obviously don’t know you know what.
Technically the manufacture does say a 8.5 - 10 inch rim, so the tire is not rated for that rim technically, but I think the guy that called me was a sales man and he definitely had no clue what he was talking about. He was surprising non-technical. So if he read the manufactures specs I could see why he said that, but it was obvious he knew nothing about tires. I am hoping the techs are smarter. Since it is online I have no idea of knowing, but I feel like I still have a better chance of getting them balanced right here than any where local. I am a little nervous because if they are not good, I don't know where to go even if I have to pay someone else to do it.

I am so frustrated with tire shops, and especially the lack of training. The thing I like about the tire rack, is each tire gets road forced balanced for free by default. I am hoping that will be the difference.

That is already better than discount tire who I took it back 6 times to get it balanced right and never once offered to road force balance it. Then when I asked they said they would but I would have to pay for it, but at that point I was nervous that they would now start charging me for balancing that they couldn't figure out how to do. I lost all confidence. I am going to try this now. If this doesn't work, maybe I will have to find a performance shop in Cali to try. It is very frustrating so here is crossing my fingers that they show up like I asked ready to go the first time.

Reactions: Squatch
So I got an update today. They called me since I was a first time customer, I had to verify my phone number of which didn't make sense because they called me yesterday about the tire size discrepancy. Anyway they (someone else) confirmed they are going to put my Cooper stt pros 33s on the 15x8 wheel they are just waiting for the last wheel to show up should be there tomorrow. So that is good. I will be happy when they are in my hot little hands, but for now I have to go with everything is sorted out.

It is getting real. "I'm so excited, I must say!"