Utah TJ Fest 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if there is a work-around for the "new" units. The link I posted is for the old units I bought last year and there may still be inventory on those. If the supplier switches those out for new units at the old price, they're fools.

If they are being sold as "ham radios", they are not legal to modify. If they are being sold as "commercial radios" its 100% legal to modify for the ham radio bands...which would probably get you GMRS too. Personally, as I've stated many times, I HATE these radios but they work and are cheap. Buyer beware!
Mind if I order a couple from the link you provided and have them shipped directly to you for programming? If they're actually the new model I'll just send you the return label Amazon provides. Just let me know what I'd owe you for shipping back to me.

I don't know if there is a work-around for the "new" units. The link I posted is for the old units I bought last year and there may still be inventory on those. If the supplier switches those out for new units at the old price, they're fools.

If they are being sold as "ham radios", they are not legal to modify. If they are being sold as "commercial radios" its 100% legal to modify for the ham radio bands...which would probably get you GMRS too. Personally, as I've stated many times, I HATE these radios but they work and are cheap. Buyer beware!

Buy once, cry once. Simple, no dinking around, strictly GMRS but with a superior receiver than CCR junk. Repeater capable, including split tones, wideband capable, good range, front panel programmable, accessories like battery eliminator (12v plug), takes standard Kenwood style headset... Mine have worked well on and off the trail.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-805g.html

Reactions: someguysjeep
kinda lost ................so GMRS is it but we need an old 1?
Yep. You're lost but good.

Just buy a GMRS handheld or mobile and you're good to go.

If you want a radio that does everything, you can get a ham radio and have it modified, or a commercial radio. One of those commercial radios was the Baofeng UV-5r. The old versions worked on ham radio and GMRS with no modifications. The new version of that radio only works on ham radio until someone figures out how to work around it. In that case, having an older UV-5r eliminates that problem.

Reactions: someguysjeep
Seriously though, what happened to him? He's always had a weird concept of offroading. But now it feels like he hasn't had human contact since the pandemic started, and his video creation history seems to show that too.

• Haha
Reactions: Dino - KX6D
Seriously though, what happened to him? He's always had a weird concept of offroading. But now it feels like he hasn't had human contact since the pandemic started, and his video creation history seems to show that too.
At first this behavior was kind of funny. But it's definitely gotten more and more like this...

He thinks he is funny and his subscribers must like it. Its a gimmick.

I updated the UV5R radio file for this year and added a few channels. If anyone wants it let me know. All 5 TJ Fest channels are unchanged from last year so no need for the update unless you want to listen to the local ham radio repeaters and ham radio simplex frequencies. Message me if you want it.

@Dino - KX6D - thought you may like this if you haven't already seen it. Apparently you can unlock the new UV5r to still work with GMRS.

He caught me reaching for the comments about him keying the mic with no antenna - that'll kill a radio quickly. Wondering if the antenna needs to be removed for the reset.. doesn't make sense to me.

He caught me reaching for the comments about him keying the mic with no antenna - that'll kill a radio quickly. Wondering if the antenna needs to be removed for the reset.. doesn't make sense to me.
He's got a video on that.

Mine quit too about the same time though I suspect its a dead speaker.

Which handheld do you have? I picked one up off of eBay that holds my baofeng using a ram mount. Paired with a external mic it felt like I was chatting on my CB. Though the baofeng volume lacks.

View attachment 304875

What do you have going on for the antenna?

Dino is kindly programming 3 units for me so if anyone comes last minute or brings a friend come find me and you can borrow one. $6.50/day or $45/week.
I've got a handful of them too for loaners. Your spoiler text is smart, I got lucky that the one I forgot to get last year was with someone willing to send it back.

This is a typical way to reset a number of radios. The Yaesu FT-60r is one example. They were smart to include that in the firmware. No antenna needed and it could have been left on as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.