Was your MPG post with the new gears? How do they feel vs the old?
Those were the 4.56s. I haven't calculated with the 5.13s yet since my speedo isn't calibrated yet and I'm still breaking them in. The new gears are fun. I notice the difference at hwy speeds, a lot more power. 75mph is 3k rpm. 65mph is about 2.6k rpm (with the gps speed).

Swapped in a new Alloy tcase chain as well as output seal this afternoon. Here is the original chain, I didn't notice any alarming amount of metal shavings nor marks within the case
20200111_130026.jpg

20200111_135033.jpg
20200111_151045.jpg

20200111_151721.jpg

Hopefully the ratcheting sound is gone after this. I'll let the gasket sealer dry tonight and fill it up and take it for a spin tomorrow

Reactions: TJ Starting
You're getting a lot done. The 5.13s will be fun to see on the rocks this year.

Well, my new seal didnt seal. Thankfully they are cheap. I'll pick up another one and try a bead of RTV this time around. A nice quarter-sized puddle as soon as I pulled into work. My metallic tick is still there too. Since the driveshaft has to come off to get to the seal, I am going to take a close look at it again. It has maybe a few thousand miles on it since the rebuild, but the sound is annoying the hell out of me.

• Sad
Reactions: Alex01 and JMT
This was on my doorstep today

View attachment 134340

It'll be a while before it is installed. I need to paint the brackets, fix the tcase leak, and find that other noise 🙄

Savvy was quick to ship too. I placed this order on Thursday and it showed up today.

I went with UCF for my skid ... with the Stahlbus drain valve oil changes are breeze now. Do you already have the Fumoto or Stahlbus installed?

Pulled the driveshaft again tonight and inspected. I believe my noise is coming from the centering yoke. There is a slight catch when rotating by hand and I can see the ujoint cap lift out of the centering yoke. Also in the position where the cap lifts, I can easily push the centering yoke in and out maybe 3/16". Here you can see the cap within the yoke and with just a little bit of pressure can easily manipulate the centering yoke in and out
20200114_173208.jpg

20200114_173225.jpg

Can anyone confirm that this should not be that easy to move and pull away from the joint?

When I replaced the centering ball/spring when rebuilding my front driveshaft I remember being able to push the centering yoke in I think. It's only forced out by a tiny spring. I wouldn't call it "play" though, more just being able to force it in, not as much out.

I'd be more concerned about the binding.

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley
I updated my thread in the general TJ discussion but I found the spring had fallen thru the grease hole in the centering ball. It was stuck in there and needed quite a bit of work to get out with needlenosed pliers. Not sure if the enlarged hole is from the spring or if it is just a quality issue. Also a broken ring that was sitting on top of the needle bearings.
20200115_170944[2].jpg
20200115_170949[1].jpg
20200115_172636[1].jpg

@tworley did you have any driveline vibrations from this at all? Maybe you mentioned it before but I am pretty curious ..

Intermittently. It was mostly a tick/tap that was consistent with wheel speed. Every now and then it would be smooth as silk, then the next day the vibe was in sync with the tick/tap. I could feel it in the shifter knob and gas pedal.

Well a new output shaft seal is in and I am happy to say my transfercase is now leak free! I also put in a new centering yoke and ujoint. My drive in felt vibe free, but that damn noise is still persisting :mad:. With the driveshaft out, I cannot hear the noise. I put the driveshaft in, jack up the rear and put it in gear and I cannot hear it. Rotation consistent with wheel speed. Axle bearings good shape, both diffs rebuilt, transfercase has fresh fluid and new chain, new ujoints and centering ball in drivehsaft. Happens in 2wd and 4wd. I am stumped at this point.