The artec sway bar brackets need to go. Replacing with the BMB brackets.

20200908_194437.jpg

Also have disc brakes coming in near future so the reverse brake cables were in order

20200908_194430.jpg

Also got the elusive BMB sticker to add to my collection

20200908_194358.jpg

Finally, my replacement rocker plate came for the front locker. The little side tabs have broken twice now. OTRTTW sells them for about $4

20200908_194736.jpg

I have these sitting on my bench too, seems like a good offseason project!
We did some close looking the last time we were at BFH garage--The currie tie rod would contact the artec brackets quite a bit if flipped. Also looking at losing the 1/4" CA skids due to their arm placement. Looking back--I should have kept the original spring perches on the hpd30 and just reworked the arm mounts and sway links

Before. 21 lbs ( I thought sure it was heavier)

20200915_163006.jpg
20200915_180240.jpg

20200915_181607.jpg

Cleaned up the drum. I didn't feel any burrs so I just wiped it down

20200915_163616.jpg

Checked the clearance of my winch mount and fairlead. It was flush with the new TRE fairlead. Some work with a flap disc made it bigger plus rounded the edge

20200915_165917.jpg
20200915_171154.jpg

20200915_171726.jpg

Also cleaned up a little rust

20200915_171201.jpg
20200915_171247.jpg
20200915_171441.jpg

And finally wound up the new synthetic line and safety Thimble! Checked clearances and it appears to all be riding on the fairlead. The black sleeve will be removed soon

20200915_174547.jpg
20200915_175444.jpg

Working on my recovery gear. New 3"x8' tree strap, three additional soft shackles, and new snatch block

View attachment 191174

I’ve never seen a soft shackle in action. How do they work, as far as what keeps the knot end from popping out of the loop? What is that little strand of red thread for.

I’ve never seen a soft shackle in action. How do they work, as far as what keeps the knot end from popping out of the loop? What is that little strand of red thread for.

The tension tightens the loop around the knot, the red string is a nicer way to pull the loop loose again. One important thing is the load direction (similar to a d-ring) - on the soft shackle I think they’re supposed to be perpendicular to the knot (which isn’t hard since it forms to the direction it’s pulled).

The shackle stays closed the same way @tworley's coat stays closed. The big knot is just a toggle.
52a5dd698695a0f1feb298d437bc1110.jpg

One important thing is the load direction (similar to a d-ring) - on the soft shackle I think they’re supposed to be perpendicular to the knot (which isn’t hard since it forms to the direction it’s pulled).

Trying to imagine this in my head. I may need to see if I can find a video.

Thanks.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Just buy a soft shackle, it’s worth it

Soft everything is worth it. I remember winching with steel shackles, steel cable with a hook, a tree saver, and an ARB rope cover thing (which has questionable function). With a safety thimble and a soft tree saver or a soft shackle when connecting to another vehicle, all I need to do it pull the cable out, put on a singular connection and pull in. Everything is a lot lighter, simpler, and safer. Love it.

It isn't necessary for the noose to tighten. having used mine fairly often, i can say that it doesn;t get very tight even after a hard pull.
A picture better explains what I'm was trying to say. This I what mine look like when I use them. The loop basically locks underneath the knot.
20200922_200708.jpg

Just buy a soft shackle, it’s worth it

I don’t doubt they are great. Just trying to understand in my mind how they stay together while in use Since I’ve never seen one used in person.

A couple more questions:

1) So, using @TJ Starting ’s last picture as a reference, would you set it up to use with let say the right right of his shackle in the shackle mounting point on a bumper and the winch cable on the left side of the shackle? Keeping the knot in the center of the loop while in use?

2) Some I’ve seen come with a sleeve. Is that for putting on the shackle if your bumpers shackle mounting point doesn’t have rounded edges?

Thanks for all the info. Just trying to learn a little more.

I don’t doubt they are great. Just trying to understand in my mind how they stay together while in use Since I’ve never seen one used in person.

A couple more questions:

1) So, using @TJ Starting ’s last picture as a reference, would you set it up to use with let say the right right of his shackle in the shackle mounting point on a bumper and the winch cable on the left side of the shackle? Keeping the knot in the center of the loop while in use?

2) Some I’ve seen come with a sleeve. Is that for putting on the shackle if your bumpers shackle mounting point doesn’t have rounded edges?

#1 that is correct.

A couple more questions:

I keep the knot in the middle of the loop while pulling (just like the photo). Lots people seem so take a Dremel to their bumper to knock off any hard edges and dump the metal shackles.