Upgrading the underhood light

Thanks for all the info and links. I already received the NOS GM light and ordered another for my truck. Found the wiring harness from information here also. Great mod.

I have my light and harness but I’m not much on wiring things. How is everyone connecting the wiring? Cut and crimp? Add a tap connector? Ground to the hood?
I also want to leave the stock light in place.

Last edited:
I cut off the old connector plug and spliced the new pigtail to the stock wire. Used the heat shrink solder connectors with heat shrink over that. You could also cut and crimp..

Reactions: TDB55
I have my light and harness but I’m not much on wiring things. How is everyone connecting the wiring? Cut and crimp? Add a tap connector? Ground to the hood?
I also want to leave the stock light in place.

If you're going to keep the stock one. Wired it like I did, in line with the stock wiring.

On the pigtail connector itself, there should be two letters A and B stamped on the body. A (left side wire) is Positive, B (right side wire) is negative. Extend the (A) lead wire and tapped it into the stock Red (Power) wire. Then find a place for ground.

Reactions: TDB55
A few months back I installed 3 strips of LED rope lighting. I wired them directly to the factory hood light bulb connectors. So when the hood opens, the lights turn on, and when it’s closed they turn off. It works just like the factory bulb light but they are a lot brighter and they give more overall illumination.
3670EA24-7FDA-45C1-A91C-A8770C699C63.jpeg

You can see the two smaller strips to the right of the prop rod and the longer strip near the hood hinges.

I recently purchased some 2100 lumen led 1156 bulbs on Amazon , if I do this , that's what I'm putting in it.

Anyone know the part number for the existing wiring harness connector? I don't want to cut mine off, just connect the new light into the existing plug. I've looked but there are so many different ones I can't find anything confirming which one is correct.

20200419_172041.jpg

Anyone know the part number for the existing wiring harness connector? I don't want to cut mine off, just connect the new light into the existing plug. I've looked but there are so many different ones I can't find anything confirming which one is correct.

The switch for the light is inside the light. So, the original plug is hot all the time.

Purchased a 48 SMD circuit board and soldered the negative lead to the switched brass terminal and the positive lead to the other brass terminal. The circuit board fits snugly into the factory housing. The LEDs light up the entire engine compartment at night and only cost $5.50 including shipping.

IMG_8023.jpg

Thanks for coming up with this mod. It is by far one of the useful mod I've done.

Also, there is a seller on Ebay under the handle of "qzsues2dogs" who is selling new old stock for $10 a piece. Get it while it last! And the original has a suction mount along with the magnetic base. Neat!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=283764059540

View attachment 143658

View attachment 143659
Drippy, Where did you get power from? Did you splice into the wires feeding the OEM light, or did you splice into the OEM light itself? I like the clean look of your installation and I am trying to replicate it. Thanks for your help.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Drippy, Where did you get power from? Did you splice into the wires feeding the OEM light, or did you splice into the OEM light itself? I like the clean look of your installation and I am trying to replicate it. Thanks for your help.

I spliced it into the oe wire and ground it on the hood bumper stud. In case I'd ever need to remove the GM light, I'll still have the stock light available. Real easy mode once you have everything on hand.

My Jeep's PO ran hot/ground wires from the battery to the back of the Jeep for rear facing lights. He never finished the job. I'm thinking of mounting the GM light in the back of the Jeep. The retractable cord is plenty long enough to reach anywhere on the Jeep and this way if I want to use it as a cargo/work lamp I dont have to open the hood.

Reactions: Zorba
My Jeep's PO ran hot/ground wires from the battery to the back of the Jeep for rear facing lights. He never finished the job. I'm thinking of mounting the GM light in the back of the Jeep. The retractable cord is plenty long enough to reach anywhere on the Jeep and this way if I want to use it as a cargo/work lamp I dont have to open the hood.

I also mounted one in the back. with a flip of the switch I have light. Tapped right into the existant dome light and grounded to the tub. Very useful.

20200315_121917.jpg

20200314_152837.jpg