What amount weight reduction is noticeable?

I don't care how or where you derived those numbers, they are not accurate.

Understood, I can't do anything about Savvy's product other than what they quote on their site...maybe they are quoting shipping weight? Since I don't have one to put on the scale I can't say for sure so have to go by their site. I can guarantee the weight of the OEM unit tho I weighed yesterday at 21 lbs with end caps installed but no hooks or hardware. I'm assuming bumper manufacturers prob don't include the weight of mounting bolts either.

Understood, I can't do anything about Savvy's product other than what they quote on their site...maybe they are quoting shipping weight? Since I don't have one to put on the scale I can't say for sure so have to go by their site. I can guarantee the weight of the OEM unit tho I weighed yesterday at 21 lbs with end caps installed but no hooks or hardware. I'm assuming bumper manufacturers prob don't include the weight of mounting bolts either.
DSC_5371.JPG
DSC_5370.JPG
DSC_5372.JPG

Nope. The Savvy front bumper with hardware weighs the same as a stock bumper.
That's what I was saying. Swapping out oem with something aluminum isn't going to save anything weight wise.

And the 200lb/1mpg thing doesn't sound accurate. I think there would be too many variables to even guess on something like that, the largest bring what kind of driving. Highway driving in a TJ is worlds apart from city driving a Miata. Not trying to nit pick, just saying I wouldn't expect much difference for a highway driven TJ by removing 200lb. Acceleration numbers are much easier to make rules of thumb for since there are fewer variables.

So Mr Blaine, what tummy tuck do you like now that the savvy piece isn't available for early TJ's anymore?

That's what I was saying. Swapping out oem with something aluminum isn't going to save anything weight wise.
Not true at all. Add a winch plate to the stock front bumper and give me that weight.

So Mr Blaine, what tummy tuck do you like now that the savvy piece isn't available for early TJ's anymore?
Don't. I build my own.

And the 200lb/1mpg thing doesn't sound accurate. I think there would be too many variables to even guess on something like that, the largest bring what kind of driving. Highway driving in a TJ is worlds apart from city driving a Miata. Not trying to nit pick, just saying I wouldn't expect much difference for a highway driven TJ by removing 200lb. Acceleration numbers are much easier to make rules of thumb for since there are fewer variables.

The 200lb per MPG is a general rule of thumb, just like every 6 lbs more tire pressure is 1 more MPG. Lower throttle position percentages will apply when moving less weight, so there will be a difference. How much depends of the type of driving you do. Jeep pretty non aero friendly, so maybe hghway driving would see the least difference with city (lower speed) driving seeing the most benefit. =)

If you care about the difference regarding weight just pay attention. Wheeling on "E" is about 100lbs different from on "F". Anybody can test that. @jjvw also mentioned a great way to get a feel for it, doors and a different weight bag of water in your passenger seat.

Reactions: jjvw
Savvy only has one TJ front bumper.

Ok, looking on their site you can't see the weld bead on the ends, but can totally see them on yours. Do you have an early release version/prototype? Maybe they filed down the seams for their web pics. Lolz.

Either way, dunno what the weight on their site is all about. As a weight reduction guy, I've been misled before by data on a manufacturers site. I try to make sure that I pull data from multiple places whenever possible. So thank you for responding with the pics on the scale as now we have some photo evidence. Fu** savvy's website then listing it at 30 lbs then. Bahahaha.

Not true at all. Add a winch plate to the stock front bumper and give me that weight.

Don't. I build my own.
I guess I should have been more specific. For someone who is not considering a winch and only looking at it from a weight savings perspective, there is nothing to be gained by running anything but the stock front bumper. And I understand the Savvy front bumper would be the same weight as a stock bulker but with the benefit of a winch mounting plate.

And roger that on the tummy tuck. I wish it was an option for me.

If you care about the difference regarding weight just pay attention. Wheeling on "E" is about 100lbs different from on "F". Anybody can test that. @jjvw also mentioned a great way to get a feel for it, doors and a different weight bag of water in your passenger seat.

Mine also lost about 200lbs of bloat since last summer. It was quite noticable even on the street.

Ok, looking on their site you can't see the weld bead on the ends, but can totally see them on yours. Do you have an early release version/prototype? Maybe they filed down the seams for their web pics. Lolz.

Either way, dunno what the weight on their site is all about. As a weight reduction guy, I've been misled before by data on a manufacturers site. I try to make sure that I pull data from multiple places whenever possible. So thank you for responding with the pics on the scale as now we have some photo evidence. Fu** savvy's website then listing it at 30 lbs then. Bahahaha.
Again. That's just the normal Savvy bumper

Ok, looking on their site you can't see the weld bead on the ends, but can totally see them on yours. DO you have an early release version/prototype? If did they file down the seams for their web pics. Lolz.

All of us who ship do not pare the amount down to the absolute minimum. We list some amount that will not upset the shipping charges. I do not have an early version, I just picked this one up a few days ago. They used to finish the welds, it appears they no longer do.

FYI- it weighs exactly the same as it did when I designed and developed it in case you were wondering who you were arguing with.

I guess I should have been more specific. For someone who is not considering a winch and only looking at it from a weight savings perspective, there is nothing to be gained by running anything but the stock front bumper. And I understand the Savvy front bumper would be the same weight as a stock bulker but with the benefit of a winch mounting plate.
In winch ready trim, the Savvy is a few pounds heavier. But yes, if you are only after saving weight, pull the rubber bumpers off of the front of the OEM bumper, toss the end caps and trim the ends in close to the frame. That will be the lightest front bumper you can get most likely and still have some sort of bumper.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck

And roger that on the tummy tuck. I wish it was an option for me.

I posted a pic of my bumper/winch setup above. I went out and got a used OEM frt bumper yesterday and will be running a trimmed version of it for street duty. I will leave the winch mounted and wired up to the old bumper so that all I have to do IF I want to go wheeling (where I need a winch) is swap them out....just 6 bolts and a little help from my teenage son. =P

All of us who ship do not pare the amount down to the absolute minimum. We list some amount that will not upset the shipping charges. I do not have an early version, I just picked this one up a few days ago. They used to finish the welds, it appears they no longer do.

FYI- it weighs exactly the same as it did when I designed and developed it in case you were wondering who you were arguing with.

Well, thank you. So it would be nice if on the website it listed a separate Item weight and shipping weight. Shouldn't be that hard. Shipping weight matters when it is on the freight truck for a few days, actual weight matters as it is on the Jeep for years. Frankly, if I was looking to run the Savvy bumper, I prob would have seen the 30lbs and thought..."ehhh, that's pretty good, but not worth the weight savings." But at 13 lbs, fu** yeah that is a big difference from an aftermarket steel bumper. You may be missing out on some potential biz there.

Last edited:
Well, thank you. So it would be nice if on the website it listed a separate Item weight and shipping weight. Shouldn't be that hard. Frankly, if I was looking to run the Savvy bumper, I prob would have seen the 30lbs and thought..."ehhh, that's pretty good, but not worth the weight savings." But at 13 lbs, fu** yeah that is a big difference from an aftermarket steel bumper. You may be missing out on some potential biz there.
Not my circus, not my monkey.

Reactions: Rick Flair