What did you do to your TJ today?

Hog turned me on to the Home Depot foil coat self adhesive duct insulation for heat and noise...it is light , won’t absorb water , easy to cut and reposition , and has body so you can slide vertically in places like behind the fan motor under the dash . It’s only 22.00 per roll.

I have done the front of B3 , my intrepid 06 Rubicon and am making a removable rubber floor system from Sams Club rubber cargo mat material , flexible and about 15 square feet is 20 bucks .

Installed seat risers , bought 1.5” and had em sliced so one set did 2 tj’s

tightened the valve cover .

repaired the cable inside the backseat with a bike cable and aluminum cable crimp on end

Had the front shaft balanced in my 03, Whitey the Rubicon ...it is absolutely car like in drive quality now ...maybe not a real nice car ...but definitely great . Never underestimate shaft and joint condition . Learned a lesson here.

Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Dark Of Night Shall Stay These Couriers From The Swift Completion Of Their Appointed Rounds.

:unsure:
MV5BMjcyMDUxMDkzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTc3OTIwMjE@._V1_SX1200_CR0,0,1200,1745_AL_.jpg

Reactions: GaTechTJ and Fonz54
Took the TJ to my mechanic this week for its annual inspection & he pointed out that my rear sway bar links & bushings were shot, there was a ton of play going on. I had noticed this before but always ignored it, these bushings are probably the last part of the suspension that remained from the prior owner if not the factory.

Picked up everything from Rock Auto, $48.00; ordered it Tuesday & it arrived Thursday, love that place:

IMG_3599.jpg
IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3605.jpg

Friday rolled around & I got a call from the boy requesting some homemade pizza so I busted out of work around 1pm to make some dough. So here are the random TJ unrelated shots of a caramelized onion with sage & goat cheese pizza (daughter’s request) & a standard pepperoni (son’s request), also made a Hawaiian for the son’s girlfriend but it wasn’t very photogenic. Almost never see both kids at home at the same time, that was really cool:

IMG_3608.JPG
IMG_3617.JPG
IMG_3619.JPG
IMG_3622.JPG

Saturday morning & time to "pop in the new parts". This started off as another “easy 30 minute job” that turned into a complete pain in the balls, there are a total of 8 bolts that have to be removed to pull the links & bushings out, 7 of which of course came out without an issue while 1 snapped the bolt head off leaving the rest of it completely intact. There is zero room to work the other end sticking out of the nut that’s welded to the mount so rather than making some lame attempt at getting this thing out (been there done that & it aint worth the agg), I tapped out & drove it over to my mechanic’s house & he coaxed it out.

IMG_3634.JPG
IMG_3636.JPG
IMG_3638.JPG

Since I couldn’t finish right away I took the opportunity to clean up & paint the bar & the bushing brackets.

IMG_3637.JPG
IMG_3655.JPG

a couple hours later I Ubered over & picked up the rig, sans stuck bolt. One thing I noticed driving it there & back without the rear sway bar, I noticed zero difference. Wasn't sure if it was because the one on there was useless due to the worn bushings or they're just not all that useful. Anyway, I left it until this morning allowing the painted parts to dry. Went out about an hour ago & reassembled everything, new stock length links/bushings and new axle mount bushings:

IMG_3657.JPG
IMG_3658.JPG
IMG_3661.JPG

Took it out for a test drive, felt great, maybe tighter in the rear, took some corners at speed & everything feels great; not sure if it's all in my head but it does feel tighter overall. This vehicle surprises me the longer I own it, it handles amazingly well. Maybe my expectations are low, I don't know, but I push it more & more the longer I drive it & it never gives me the feeling like it's going to let go. While I don't push it through turns as I do my Subaru I've gotta say it's not all that far off.

Took the TJ to my mechanic this week for its annual inspection & he pointed out that my rear sway bar links & bushings were shot, there was a ton of play going on. I had noticed this before but always ignored it, these bushings are probably the last part of the suspension that remained from the prior owner if not the factory.

Picked up everything from Rock Auto, $48.00; ordered it Tuesday & it arrived Thursday, love that place:

View attachment 141877View attachment 141878View attachment 141879

Friday rolled around & I got a call from the boy requesting some homemade pizza so I busted out of work around 1pm to make some dough. So here are the random TJ unrelated shots of a caramelized onion with sage & goat cheese pizza (daughter’s request) & a standard pepperoni (son’s request), also made a Hawaiian for the son’s girlfriend but it wasn’t very photogenic. Almost never see both kids at home at the same time, that was really cool:

View attachment 141880View attachment 141881View attachment 141882View attachment 141883

Saturday morning & time to "pop in the new parts". This started off as another “easy 30 minute job” that turned into a complete pain in the balls, there are a total of 8 bolts that have to be removed to pull the links & bushings out, 7 of which of course came out without an issue while 1 snapped the bolt head off leaving the rest of it completely intact. There is zero room to work the other end sticking out of the nut that’s welded to the mount so rather than making some lame attempt at getting this thing out (been there done that & it aint worth the agg), I tapped out & drove it over to my mechanic’s house & he coaxed it out.

View attachment 141884View attachment 141885View attachment 141886

Since I couldn’t finish right away I took the opportunity to clean up & paint the bar & the bushing brackets.

View attachment 141887View attachment 141888

a couple hours later I Ubered over & picked up the rig, sans stuck bolt. One thing I noticed driving it there & back without the rear sway bar, I noticed zero difference. Wasn't sure if it was because the one on there was useless due to the worn bushings or they're just not all that useful. Anyway, I left it until this morning allowing the painted parts to dry. Went out about an hour ago & reassembled everything, new stock length links/bushings and new axle mount bushings:

View attachment 141890View attachment 141891View attachment 141892

Took it out for a test drive, felt great, maybe tighter in the rear, took some corners at speed & everything feels great; not sure if it's all in my head but it does feel tighter overall. This vehicle surprises me the longer I own it, it handles amazingly well. Maybe my expectations are low, I don't know, but I push it more & more the longer I drive it & it never gives me the feeling like it's going to let go. While I don't push it through turns as I do my Subaru I've gotta say it's not all that far off.
Wow, that looks great, makes me to go order one right now. That swaybar doesn't look bad either. 🤣

Reactions: Blondie70
@Westtown Willy [QUOTE="
Friday rolled around & I got a call from the boy requesting some homemade pizza so I busted out of work around 1pm to make some dough.
[/QUOTE]

That's funny, I did the same on Thursday! We had a snow storm and my wife was like "man pizza sounds good".
I tell her I'll drive down the mountain...she says "no, not in this weather". So I slammed out a quick dough and ran to DG to see what they had for toppings.
I really didn't feel like firing up the wood oven in the snow, so basic baking is what went down. Daughter and wife like mushroom.:cool:

60393635373__85ABD62E-6E7C-42D7-A663-2FD6E7160155.jpg

There have been several sounds that have been eluding me ever since i did my TT and new lift all at once. Yesterday i discovered one of them, My front MC springs are vibrating against the upper spring bracket (?) when i'm letting the clutch in and out during a start from a stop.

MC springs contact_1.jpg

I already was considering replacing these springs because of all the extra bump that is required. This little discovery sealed their fate!

Today, finally got around to replacing the lock cylinder on the 01 TJ. Was having intermittent issues with it locking up and not being able to start without hitting it. Yesterday, it started sticking in the starter position causing a grind if you didn't wiggle the key back.

Installed a Doorman replacement one today and rekeyed tumblers to old key. Pretty easy repair.

Today, finally got around to replacing the lock cylinder on the 01 TJ. Was having intermittent issues with it locking up and not being able to start without hitting it. Yesterday, it started sticking in the starter position causing a grind if you didn't wiggle the key back.

Installed a Doorman replacement one today and rekeyed tumblers to old key. Pretty easy repair.
can you re-key door locks in this way that you know of? I'm close to having to do the same thing, and i've got half doors to match as well.

can you re-key door locks in this way that you know of? I'm close to having to do the same thing, and i've got half doors to match as well.

I haven't messed with the door locks. I did repair my center console to keep it from sticking, but didn't need to rekey it.

I'm sure you could either rekey the locks with the proper tumbler parts or once you have the key code for the tumblers order a replacement lock with that key code.

There are 4 top and 4 bottom positions on the key that correspond to the tumblers coded 1-4.

I went out to change the trans lube with Redline MT-90, but found the drivers side floor mat covered in water from the rain in Phoenix last night. So I pulled the cowling off to look for clogs. It looked okay but I cleaned it anyway
20200223_210035.jpg
and replaced some stripped speed nuts, then I noticed the one of the POs removed the cabin air filter for some reason. Is that why we call them POs? Now I have to find one of those...

Reactions: Blondie70
Do you have issues seeing out the rear view?
I went out to change the trans lube with Redline MT-90, but found the drivers side floor mat covered in water from the rain in Phoenix last night. So I pulled the cowling off to look for clogs. It looked okay but I cleaned it anyway View attachment 142060and replaced some stripped speed nuts, then I noticed the one of the POs removed the cabin air filter for some reason. Is that why we call them POs? Now I have to find one of those...

I didn't know we had a cabin air filter. Where does that go? And how do you check it?

I went out to change the trans lube with Redline MT-90, but found the drivers side floor mat covered in water from the rain in Phoenix last night. So I pulled the cowling off to look for clogs. It looked okay but I cleaned it anyway View attachment 142060and replaced some stripped speed nuts, then I noticed the one of the POs removed the cabin air filter for some reason. Is that why we call them POs? Now I have to find one of those...
I just opened my cowl an hour ago to clean the sand out from yesterday's run. I have a different plastic box inside than you do, but it doesn't have an air filter. I've owned my 2004 since 2007. Any idea where the big o-rings in the foreground of the cowl pic go?
20200223_222819.jpg
20200222_114923.jpg