What did you do to your TJ today?

I did a thing. Mostly. Still have a little wiring left to do. I'll update my build thread tomorrow. Aired up my tires and it works great. The air lines hold air great but the hose/ coupler has a tiny leak and cycles the compressor after a few minutes, totally acceptable in my book.
20200223_171224.jpg

P
I just opened my cowl an hour ago to clean the sand out from yesterday's run. I have a different plastic box inside than you do, but it doesn't have an air filter. I've owned my 2004 since 2007. Any idea where the big o-rings in the foreground of the cowl pic go?View attachment 142071View attachment 142072
Sorry guys. There isn't one. I checked. I must have seen a pic of one that was added on. My bad!

Reactions: ejay and Frankred
I just opened my cowl an hour ago to clean the sand out from yesterday's run. I have a different plastic box inside than you do, but it doesn't have an air filter. I've owned my 2004 since 2007. Any idea where the big o-rings in the foreground of the cowl pic go?View attachment 142071View attachment 142072

Those o-ring looking things go on the wiper linkage pivot points. Kind of like a boot. Mine had 1 or 2 torn and laying in there too. I don't know where you can get replacements.

Reactions: Frankred
I didn't find any orings in there execpt some of those plastic rings that fit inside the rubber seal that had fallen out the last time the cowl was off. They are back where they belong at least. So my POs are not totally innocent...

Well nothing too exciting to my Jeep this past weekend, I just changed the brakes and rotors and bought some new tires and rims. I’m waiting on the the 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapters to finish everything up. Saving it for next weekend I guess!

Reactions: matkal
I got the whole thing ripped apart this weekend from when I get back from deployment to find my resr transmission output seal leaking. Since it was out I also ripped out rear axle for pinion bearings. Did my rear main seal because it was leaking oil. Ripped off the exhaust to get the oil pan off. So now I'm upgrading my exhaust(need suggestions) Putting on a 4in lift, new driveshaft from Adam's and a JB conversion SYE(if they come back in stock) New 33s rims and tires, debating on the BL and MMl and skid plate to finish a tummy tuck. Also got savvy upper control arms and shift kit. Since I rent a garage 1 hour from home I figured it needed a heater and futon and I didnt go home all weekend!

20200223_143241.jpg

20200222_184320.jpg

Went playing at the local ORV park last weekend and decided not to disconnect the swaybar links as it's not really necessary for the majority of the park. My tj, on the other hand, had a different idea and somewhere I lost the hitch pin and the grommet on the driver's side. First clue was a couple of bang crunches from up front. Got out and discovered this.View attachment 138080
So this weekend I returned metal parts back to where they belong.View attachment 138081
That concludes my first wheelin damage.
I took my sway bar off the first day I got my Rubi. I don’t mind it swaying a little on the road. It’s for sale and has disconnects already on it!
7559D100-BBBF-4542-B86D-BD47CFAE7105.jpeg

I took my sway bar off the first day I got my Rubi. I don’t mind it swaying a little on the road. It’s for sale and has disconnects already on it!View attachment 142112
I drove around for a couple weeks with it disconnected. Not a fan. Bought a new bushing and lynch pin and all is good now.

Reactions: Blondie70
I got the whole thing ripped apart this weekend from when I get back from deployment to find my resr transmission output seal leaking. Since it was out I also ripped out rear axle for pinion bearings. Did my rear main seal because it was leaking oil. Ripped off the exhaust to get the oil pan off. So now I'm upgrading my exhaust(need suggestions) Putting on a 4in lift, new driveshaft from Adam's and a JB conversion SYE(if they come back in stock) New 33s rims and tires, debating on the BL and MMl and skid plate to finish a tummy tuck. Also got savvy upper control arms and shift kit. Since I rent a garage 1 hour from home I figured it needed a heater and futon and I didnt go home all weekend!

View attachment 142109

View attachment 142110

A Jeep work sleepover.

Last edited:
I've been using 50cal ammo cans for carrying my recovery equipment, collapsible shovel, folding saw, and assorted tools because they fit perfectly behind the rear seat. However they can get a bit noisy with all those metal things rattling around in those cans so I lined them with some self adhesive neoprene sheets. It's much quieter now.
0224201129.jpg
0224201304.jpg
0224201321.jpg

Finally got the right tap and drill combos to put in the rear seat. A Smittybilt fold and tumble rear in black denim.

The PO decided that the factory stock hardware was to be messed with and I don’t even know what could have possibly been done, but between a broken tap, broken bolts and tons of Bedliner material, the stock holes were barely there.

Now I have to wait for a bit more warmth in the air to get the rear area cleaned up and bedlined. The seat fit very well and has a few features I like The seat is comfortable, the kiddo loves it and he’ll be safe which what I was looking for. Waterhose and brush washable is always a plus.

The driver’s seat and passenger are secured as well using grade 8 7/16-20 and locking washers(You can see I had to use one in of these for the rear seat bracket. I may change them all to this size for a more secure clamping).

stimttybilt.jpg

Took all the seats out
Carpets out
Console out
Clean up surface rust
Paint

Plan to apply a few more coats then insulate for noise and heat.
Pressure wash the carpets.... id love to replace with bedrug and bed tread but Im not made of money! Ha!
How did pressure washing the carpets turn out, I am considering doing the same thing.

Thanks

I installed the smittybilt bolt in roll cage reinforcement. I know smittybilt has a lot of haters. But when I received it I was pleasantly surprised with the quality (although the packaging had me worried about damage to the product.. thankfully it was fine). I can't complain after paying $567.16 for the kit on Amazon (it costs $1281 from ExtremeTerrain).

I laid in the first few pieces to help me decide where to cut into my soundbar. TJs with a soundbar require modification to fit the rear bars.

axa9kXQ.jpg

I used a mini sawzall and some aviation snips to cut the soundbar. I just rolled in the remaining metal since it was hard to get a flush cut.

FxMGCXY.jpg

5mDgXw5.jpg

0CGNm6z.jpg

The rest just took some finessing and squeezing with a ratchet strap to get everything lined up. Now it is in, feels like a huge improvement to the overall structural integrity of the cage. For $570 I'm happy.

3fc2XiU.jpg

did my break-in gear oil change for the 4.56's I had installed back in August. I'm a couple hundred miles late, but the Jeep has been parked while I slowly worked through an SYE an hour at a time. There was less metal on the magnetic fill plugs than I expected.

20200224_191828.jpg

20200224_194816.jpg

It's the first time I've ever drained 85W140...holy moly that stuff is thick. No wonder it takes so long to squeeze it out of the bottle. Being in the 40s in my garage didn't help, I'm sure. It was everything I could do not to spray it out with brake cleaner, but the FSM is pretty clear about not using solvents like gasoline or kerosene so I flushed it out with some 5W40 I had left from a European car I sold awhile back.

Reactions: tworley and Tomcat
How did pressure washing the carpets turn out, I am considering doing the same thing.

Thanks
A friend of mine has an auto inspection business and also buys and resells some used cars. He goes to great lengths to recondition a car before he sells it and he pressure washes a lot of carpets, comes out great just have to have a place to let it get good and dry before you put it back.