What do I need for my first time off roading?

Yeah, it's important to have essentials and I'm slowly adding to mine, as funny money provides. I'd love to carry tons of stuff but the space issue. NE Pa has me in moderate rock to clay/coal silt mud which is very slick and can be deep.I have duct tape,nylon tow strap, 2-ton puller, a bow-saw, some heavy chain, a wheel chock, tire plug kit, air compressor, bottle jack.I also carry. Completing my essentials includes getting a high-lift jack and a good portable jump-starter pack. And I personally wouldn't head out unless I have good tire tread.

Reactions: Chris
Well, now I know where all of the brass is going to! ;) Pacific City is a hoot! I've been known to drive down there with a six pack of my favorite beverage and a lawn chair, just to watch the show. Have a couple of beers, catch some sun and watch people get stuck in the sand. Watch the Dories launch and land. I do loan my shovel out on occasion. The monster trucks with the smoky diesels that get buried to the frame are especially entertaining.
It's more fun to watch from the top of the sand hill. Wife and I go there A LOT.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Hey Chris, come on over to the Bend area. That way there will be at least 2 natives here!

We frequently head over there to stay in Sunriver. I always end up driving through Sisters on the way over the Santiam. I really, really love that area. It's probably quite spendy but that's an area I would love to live in.

We frequently head over there to stay in Sunriver. I always end up driving through Sisters on the way over the Santiam. I really, really love that area. It's probably quite spendy but that's an area I would love to live in.
Next time give a shout!

Question for you guys, since I'm still putting together my recovery/repair/rescue/survival kit. Some of this stuff is bulky and heavy, and could be dangerous if it's loose. Especially hand tools and recovery gear.

How do you secure all this stuff? Bundle it into bags and tie it down? Cargo boxes?

Whatever I end up using would have to be removable, since there are times when I need to use the rear seat or put the dog in the back.

Question for you guys, since I'm still putting together my recovery/repair/rescue/survival kit. Some of this stuff is bulky and heavy, and could be dangerous if it's loose. Especially hand tools and recovery gear.

How do you secure all this stuff? Bundle it into bags and tie it down? Cargo boxes?

Whatever I end up using would have to be removable, since there are times when I need to use the rear seat or put the dog in the back.

They get strapped down of course.

573DB175-C93E-4A3D-A8C3-892D396D761B.jpeg

I'm new to the world of off-roading, and being as though I intend to take my Wrangler out pretty soon I want to make sure that before I do I have everything I need.

What would you guys suggest for things I should bring off-roading? I guess I'm trying to make a list of sorts...
The Holy Bible says; ASK.
What you did by asking is the most important thing you can do; any time, any circumstance.
Now all you have to do is heed what my doctor told me when I was fitted for hearing aids; "Now you can hear, but will you listen?"

Reactions: OlYellerTJ
What would you guys suggest for things I should bring off-roading? I guess I'm trying to make a list of sorts...
Very basic, minimalist:
1. Never wheel alone. Wheel with at least one, experienced off-roader. Two is better than one, three is better than two.
2. A full size spare tire. It helps to have a tire repair kit, and a method to (re)inflate a tire, too. One of the guys in the club lost two tires on an obstacle once, and it was not a difficult trail...
3. Fixed front and rear recovery points. Bumpers, axles, roll bars, et c. are NOT recovery points; YouTube bears this out...
4. A tow strap or two, at least 20' long by 3" wide, with sewn loops. NO metal hooks or chains; YouTube...
5. Enough gas for the day. It shouldn't have to be said, but...
6. Basic tools for what you think you may need to "fix" or Disney Engineer. :D
7. A basic first aid kit.
8. A jack. The stock jack is generally more than adequate, but you may want some boards to put the jack on, in uneven terrain, soft or muddy soil, et c. If you or somebody has a Hi Lift/farm jack, know how to use it safely; YouTube...
9. A cheap poly tarp. When resolving a "problem", I hate laying in the dirt/mud/whatever...

I like to bring some food and drink. Sometimes I carry a change of clothes, layers, rain gear.

The more remote, and difficult the terrain, then obviously the more stuff you may want for "Uh-Oh" and "Oh, SHIT!" occasions. YMMV, and invariably will...

You guys think this jack would work well on the trail? It's has a real wide base and it goes up to 21 inches.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/po...MIy9CwyLrw3AIVyYqzCh3jSQYKEAQYBCABEgJ_XPD_BwE
I have that exact jack. It will fit in the back of your TJ comfortably and will work much better and safer than a hi-lift jack, IMHO. There is no doubt in my mind it would be better than the stock jack on the trail, though it will work up to 35’s. I mainly use mine in the garage.

Reactions: Billwynburger