What has been your favorite understated modification?

You have any photos of how it's mounted at all?? Interesting..
You may not be interested in this rear seat mount, but I like showing off and I’m almost as much of a picture whore as @bobthetj03.
CBBD1185-1242-4FF9-ADC4-BF291836267E.jpeg

You may not be interested in this rear seat mount, but I like showing off and I’m almost as much of a picture whore as @bobthetj03.
View attachment 36444
Any and all pictures are great, and provide a lot of ideas!

So that's mounted under your rear seat? How does it sound? not a ton of room there.. but if I were to get any sort of sub that would be it. No room to sacrifice!

Any and all pictures are great, and provide a lot of ideas!

So that's mounted under your rear seat? How does it sound? not a ton of room there.. but if I were to get any sort of sub that would be it. No room to sacrifice!
It sounds awesome. I've had bigger systems in the past, mainly in the 80's and 90's when I ran 8's (Orion's) and 10's (Kicker) in MDF homemade boxes with external amps and Alpine head units. For the TJ I didn't want to go that big (space is a major issue!), but I did want good, clean and full range sound. The self-powered subs were right up my alley and since I have to use my rear seat, removing it was not an option. Nor did I want to drill into my tub. So the underside of the rear seat was the only other option I could think of (It won't fit under the front seat). By doing it this way I didn't have to sacrifice any useable space. I've had it since Jan 2017 and every day I turn it on I think, this sounds awesome! Why doesn't everyone do this? The head unit, replacement speakers and sub all cost <$450. Well worth every penny.

You have any photos of how it's mounted at all?? Interesting..

I’ll take a pic when I get back in town but I did it less interestingly than the other pics on here. Mine is just sitting on the floor and the seat is on top of it. Lol. It’s tight enough that it doesn’t move around at all. And JR sounds great. I have some infinity speakers up front and some so so sound bar and it sounds great. I need to replace the speakers in the sounds bar next and I think it’ll sound even better. Pretty easy install too. Sub was $300. Done and Done!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll take a pic when I get back in town but I did it less interestingly than the other pics on here. Mine is just sitting on the floor and the seat is on top of it. Lol. It’s tight enough that it doesn’t move around at all. And JR sounds great. I have some infinity speakers up front and some so so sound bar and it sounds great. I need to replace the speakers in the sounds bar next and I think it’ll sound even better. Pretty easy install too. Sub was $300. Done and Done!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think something like that may be my route vs. mounting it on the seat.. I do take the seat out occasionally.. Either way, can't wait to see the pic. I told myself when I started the audio upgrade 2 weeks ago I wouldn't get a sub.. and now I'm probably getting a sub. hahaha!

Reactions: MultiMotive
I think something like that may be my route vs. mounting it on the seat.. I do take the seat out occasionally.. Either way, can't wait to see the pic. I told myself when I started the audio upgrade 2 weeks ago I wouldn't get a sub.. and now I'm probably getting a sub. hahaha!
The sub is the single most audio enhancing mod in my system. The head unit is very important, of course, so it is really a tie. To get one to work correctly you need the other.

Reactions: Cole
Added a switch ($16.00) that cuts out interior light & key in ignition alarm when doors are off. I mounted it under dash in middle of console so I can reach it from driver's seat. Use it all the time when working on Jeep. Still looking for decent mirror relocation brackets.
Also second fuse block & relay under dash for accessories (CB, extra lights, etc).

Lets see the pics. Sounds cool.

Finally took some pics of the onboard Jeep shower. You can see the heat exchanger mounted just to the right of the air filter box, right above the alternator. I don't have AC so I mounted it to the engine where that usually goes. The pump is in the back drivers side corner of the engine compartment on a small shelf, opposite the battery. I didn't take a picture of it, but it's your standard RV/marine fresh water pump.
20180321_185900 cropped.jpg

Here's a shot of the heat exchanger from the front. The heater line and fresh water input are on the back, and you can see the outputs here.

20180321_185809.jpg

The intake and output hoses feed through the grill. I have quick disconnects on the hoses so they tuck behind the grill when not in use. It uses a basic camper shower head with an on/off switch to control the flow.

20180321_190110.jpg

Finally took some pics of the onboard Jeep shower. You can see the heat exchanger mounted just to the right of the air filter box, right above the alternator. I don't have AC so I mounted it to the engine where that usually goes. The pump is in the back drivers side corner of the engine compartment on a small shelf, opposite the battery. I didn't take a picture of it, but it's your standard RV/marine fresh water pump.
View attachment 36733

Here's a shot of the heat exchanger from the front. The heater line and fresh water input are on the back, and you can see the outputs here.

View attachment 36729

The intake and output hoses feed through the grill. I have quick disconnects on the hoses so they tuck behind the grill when not in use. It uses a basic camper shower head with an on/off switch to control the flow.

View attachment 36731

how hot does it get?

how hot does it get?

Almost too hot, really. Think of how hot the heater blows when it's on high and fully up to temperature. That's what is getting transferred to the water in the exchanger. It's been a while since I've used it (haven't gone camping in a few years) but as I remember you wouldn't want to stand under it for too long.

Reactions: derekmac
Almost too hot, really. Think of how hot the heater blows when it's on high and fully up to temperature. That's what is getting transferred to the water in the exchanger. It's been a while since I've used it (haven't gone camping in a few years) but as I remember you wouldn't want to stand under it for too long.

I imagine that the water could get near boiling. I wonder what it would take to put together an engine driven espresso machine for a Jeep.

Reactions: Shane Mckinley

did you buy it as a kit, or build yourself. do you got more into it than the price of this?. https://roadshower.com/

anybody got any of these. be good for them scouts who take out what ever they bring into the woods. a guy i worked with said, he urinates in a bag, when in the woods, an brings it out? I threw an apple core i ate one time in the woods an he went balistic on me. I was thinkin the core would help grow an apple tree or feed an animal. this item prevents the bag carrying. plus in traffic jams as an option for the family. prevents havin to urinate in a purse as i know has happened when they dont want to get out of the vehicle in a back up.

Reactions: Fonz54
did you buy it as a kit, or build yourself. do you got more into it than the price of this?. https://roadshower.com/
Years ago I heard about one on the web. The guys who did it sold the heat exchanger but it looked a little cheesy. I was able to find a place in Australia that made the exchanger that I wound up getting.

I actually just found the receipt from the purchase. It was from 2000 and cost $155 for the exchanger and $90 for shipping to the US (in Australian dollars - don't remember what that came to in USD).

The pump was just an RV pump from Camping World. I think the shower head was too.

EDIT: I just found the place for the exchanger. Looks like they sell all the parts. https://glind.com.au/shop/

Reactions: derekmac