What would I need to make the switch to GMRS?

probably worth doing, keep it to breaking one law at a time :)

no one will care that you are on a Baeofang, you will get a decent sized group of people that will give you shit about not having a license.

Right. lol

I actually just applied. IDK how long it will take to get my application back, but I'm sure I'll be ready in time for the moab trip. I may add GMRS to my jeep before the trip, we shall see if I have time to get it done. It's not at the top of the list right this moment.

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
Just a quick update to this thread, My GMRS license came through this morning. I also ordered a Wouxun KG1000G+ for a mobile unit to put in the jeep. Thank you to all who helped me out here.

I bought the MXT115 (you want the new edition w/ the USB-C port) radio and antenna kit last year. I only use it on the trail so I don't need the 50 mile range and it works great. I have upgraded the antenna which has improved my range. The 115 is only a 15W model, if you want more range you'll need to get the 400 (40W) or one of the 500 (50W) series. If I could do it again, I might invest in the 400 (currently $199 on the Midland website) and the antenna kit (the antenna was on sale after Christmas for $39 and I bought the mount off Amazon for $15) upfront. As I learned on this forum... "buy once, cry once."

Just a quick update to this thread, My GMRS license came through this morning. I also ordered a Wouxun KG1000G+ for a mobile unit to put in the jeep. Thank you to all who helped me out here.

Look forward to seeing your install. Nice thing about the KG1000G is the remote faceplate for limited mounting options. It's a big radio, so tucking the base unit out of sight is a bonus.

Look forward to seeing your install. Nice thing about the KG1000G is the remote faceplate for limited mounting options. It's a big radio, so tucking the base unit out of sight is a bonus.

Yes, agreed. I plan to move my CB radio under the passenger seat (since it will rarely, if ever be used), and the GMRS radio will go under the driver seat. I'm half way through the project as of last night. I'm still undecided on where to put the remote faceplate. as we all know, options are limited on these TJs. I'll post up the end result in my build thread sometime this weekend.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Yes, agreed. I plan to move my CB radio under the passenger seat (since it will rarely, if ever be used), and the GMRS radio will go under the driver seat. I'm half way through the project as of last night. I'm still undecided on where to put the remote faceplate. as we all know, options are limited on these TJs. I'll post up the end result in my build thread sometime this weekend.

My CB will be moved to a shelf in the garage.

Check out Lido mounts. I have my Ham radio mounted to a Lido mount on the dash. It has a quick disconnect so I can quickly remove it if needed.

20230105_101607.jpg

Reactions: EternalHobbyist
My CB will be moved to a shelf in the garage.

I almost did that this time. I was thinking about putting a under seat drawer on the passenger side instead of the CB, but figured I leave it in for now. I can always pull it easily enough.

Looks good! I need to make the jump to a better stereo HU. What size screen is that, and where did you get the panel for it?

Looks good! I need to make the jump to a better stereo HU. What size screen is that, and where did you get the panel for it?

Thanks!

Here is where I wrote it up on my build thread:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/ive-never-figured-out-when-enough-is-enough.67989/post-1266784

I like the head unit I selected. It certainly does everything that I need it to do. However, the one gripe that I have, is that when it is in Applecarplay mode, you cannot access the main menu. This means that you can't make audio settings adjustments while your music is playing. You have to use the radio. I find that to be super annoying.

Reactions: bobthetj03