Where to get a new or rebuilt PCM?

I’m not sure, but I changed the actuator out 6 months ago and in testing I’ve turned the cylinder lock repeatedly a hundred times last night and this morning with no crank, the one time it did crank last night was after a battery reset although subsequent disconnects had no effect and after physically switching the PCM’s this afternoon with plenty of time for an electrical charge to dissipate, I now can’t get it to fail the Jeep starts right up every try without a hitch. I haven’t fixed, tightened or cleaned anything else, fact is with all the looking reading switching I really haven’t done anything at all except now it’s fine? Could be the pin or ignition switch I guess, but the way it failed is odd?

Flag ship 1 was quick to respond with an email offer to replace and they would cover the shipping, so that’s good. I requested holding off for now I’ll keep this one and see if the glitch returns.

Flag ship 1 was quick to respond with an email offer to replace and they would cover the shipping, so that’s good. I requested holding off for now I’ll keep this one and see if the glitch returns.

Very cool! Keep us posted. Glad to see they stand behind their stuff either way!

Help! Looking for recommendations.
Quick update:
Back in October sent my PCM to G7 computers to help with a hard shifting issue and o2 sensor codes. G7 said they repaired and sent back. When received had new issues/codes and the Jeep would barely start, sputter then stall out. At G7's request sent back and they couldn't find anything else wrong with it. Jeep was not driveable. They asked that I send once more, decided 2x was enough. Cut my losses and chalked up the $225 to a lesson learned.

In November, had the jeep towed to my local dealer and for the last 5 weeks have been told multiple stories of a reman pcm on its way, to them sending mine off to be manufactured (they said it would take 4-6 weeks). This morning the service rep called and said they couldn't repair, replace or reman and I was basically sol. Suggested I check with junkyards. Irritated, I told them I would work on an alternative when I got to work and would try to figure out where I would have my jeep towed. About an hour later they called back and said they could order one from FS1 for about $850. I told them to hold off while I research.

Alot of threads (including this one) seem to have good experience with Kasey at module gods and most seem to have an issue with the remanned ones from FS1. In speaking with Kasey It seems like he is the best choice and is patient in answering all of my questions.

I basically have a pretty expensive paper weight right now sitting at the dealership and wondering what others would recommend.

Thanks for any help/advice!

Quick update:
Back in October sent my PCM to G7 computers to help with a hard shifting issue and o2 sensor codes. G7 said they repaired and sent back. When received had new issues/codes and the Jeep would barely start, sputter then stall out. At G7's request sent back and they couldn't find anything else wrong with it. Jeep was not driveable. They asked that I send once more, decided 2x was enough. Cut my losses and chalked up the $225 to a lesson learned.

In November, had the jeep towed to my local dealer and for the last 5 weeks have been told multiple stories of a reman pcm on its way, to them sending mine off to be manufactured (they said it would take 4-6 weeks). This morning the service rep called and said they couldn't repair, replace or reman and I was basically sol. Suggested I check with junkyards. Irritated, I told them I would work on an alternative when I got to work and would try to figure out where I would have my jeep towed. About an hour later they called back and said they could order one from FS1 for about $850. I told them to hold off while I research.

Alot of threads (including this one) seem to have good experience with Kasey at module gods and most seem to have an issue with the remanned ones from FS1. In speaking with Kasey It seems like he is the best choice and is patient in answering all of my questions.

I basically have a pretty expensive paper weight right now sitting at the dealership and wondering what others would recommend.

I would just get one from @wrangler6035. They warranty them so if it doesn't work, they'll send you a new one no questions asked. Can't beat that.

Reactions: MuleSknner
I Had a no crank situation a little over a week ago, 24 hrs before the issue I relocated the input source for switched 12v power for my mirror cam to the fuse supplying power to the radio. The mirror maintains some power when the ignition is off as does the radio and I’m wondering is it at all possible stray voltage could have bled from the mirror cam through the radio and corrupted data in the PCM to the point it would have caused my issue? Since the no start I removed and discharged the PCM And moved the power for the mirror cam to the interior lights that I believe are more isolated from the PCM, so far everything is working fine and no return of the problem?

ECM's are going to be a problem for our TJ's going forward. Mine failed at about 100k miles and had to be rebuilt. A company out of Florida did a fine job of it for me. Talking with the tech down there, he explained that the components rarely go bad, but the solder on the surface mounts fails due to shock and vibration. It causes intermittent bad connections and makes the computers go stupid. Blows out ignition timing, fuel map and transmission shifting. I've got a manual 2.5, so it was just the timing and fuel that was going wankie on me. Already have a plan and parts list put together for when you can't get rebuilt ECM's any longer. New one's haven't been available for several years. There's directions available online to do your own repairs, but like has been mentioned, it's non-trivial between the potting and the soldering involved. You get lucky with the 2.5. Mechanical distributors and carburetor intake manifolds are still available, and pretty cheap. The gauges and a gauge dashboard insert are still available from VDO.
What sucks is if you buy a so called remanufactured computer, is you are basically buying a used 12 to 13 year old computer. at 850.00 that is a lot, and from what I have read some folks have had to buy several before finding a good one.

What sucks is if you buy a so called remanufactured computer, is you are basically buying a used 12 to 13 year old computer. at 850.00 that is a lot, and from what I have read some folks have had to buy several before finding a good one.

True, but at least they warranty it.

Unfortunately it's not possible to get new PCMs anymore, so we have no other option at this point.

Reactions: MuleSknner
True, but at least they warranty it.

Unfortunately it's not possible to get new PCMs anymore, so we have no other option at this point.
I just replaced my transmission, and I believe it has a lot to do with the computer beating it up. I was disconnecting the computer every weekend to reset it. but the trans finally said enough is enough, and gave it up. now I am afraid to even drive my jeep. and I had the computer re flashed with the latest updates, but it was shifting bad before i left the dealer ship.

Reactions: Chris
I just replaced my transmission, and I believe it has a lot to do with the computer beating it up. I was disconnecting the computer every weekend to reset it. but the trans finally said enough is enough, and gave it up. now I am afraid to even drive my jeep. and I had the computer re flashed with the latest updates, but it was shifting bad before i left the dealer ship.

Apparently the company in Jupiter FL recommended by @lafittejeep in post #169 is able to supply PCM's that work.

I thought that new fancy programmer you just bought would do that if you had the program...

Oh... I thought you were just messing around!

No, that programmer will let me take the PCM from another 05-06 Wrangler and use it in my vehicle by reprogramming it with the correct VIN number, mileage, etc. But the PCM would have to be from another 05-06 Wrangler.

Quick update:
Back in October sent my PCM to G7 computers to help with a hard shifting issue and o2 sensor codes. ...

I have a FS1 PCM for my 1998 TJ with a manual trans and have zero issues and the customer server dept was great. When i purchased my PCM they said they some "on the shelf", later that week I was contacted and told the ones they had failed to pass reprogramming. I had to wait an extra week before they would send one out that passed their tests.

Update on my PCM no issues at all, seems to use a little more fuel than before. On the plus side I seem to have more power in general... so i guess it makes sense more power more fuel used.

Update on my PCM from FS1 gas mileage has come back to "normal". Running 33's, heavy duty shafts from Tom Woods, over size drive shafts I'm back to high 15's and have much better throttle response and overall perf has improved!

So ya I'd purchase from the again.