Work Bench & Garage Version 2

Some 5" casters could help with that

Yup. Amazing what a good caster can move. Years ago I built a welding table on 5” castors. And no exaggeration - I weighed the thing - it weighs 1000 pounds.

Now, once you get it moving it’s hard to stop, but that’s another story…🙂

• Wow
Reactions: JMT and Apparition
Is that a fixed bench...That is going to be HEAVY!

Yes - This thing is heavy. It'll be fixed. It's a '2-car garage' with a single 'double-wide' door. I'd hate my life if I parked 2 cars in there every day... :ROFLMAO:

So far the welding table & portable Black & Decker workbench have worked on the projects that I've needed to work in the middle of the garage.

Built the shelving unit skeleton earlier this week. Today, I realized, I failed the first rule of building - read the blueprints...

I don't know why, but I designed the shelve 2x4s that are there for the 'depth' were designed to mount to the 'length' boards, rather than screwing directly into the vertical boards. So I had to disassembly a good bit of it and put it together again. I'll add a screw to secure them into the vertical board.

Today, I got the bottom self in and the third (mid-level) shelf installed. Squared everything up to ease the rest of the build.

PXL_20240419_014821581.jpg

PXL_20240419_014828142.jpg

The clamps are holding up the shelfing surface for the second shelf. Can't put the plywood in once the cross-support 2x4s are installed. So that's up next to finish the shelving unit.

Weekend goal is to have this project finished... We'll see how far I make it.

Big day today....

Started off with the garage looking like this:

PXL_20240420_121507883_PANO (2).jpg

Moved a number of items to the basement and shed and pulled items off the shelving units that the new workbench is intended to replace. Looked good when everything was emptied out.

PXL_20240420_162530367.jpg

Moved the workbenches into place. Used a laser level to set the workbenches square.

Ran out and grabbed hardboard for the sacrificial workbench top.

Damn this project came out exactly how I was hoping!

PXL_20240420_202807329.jpg

PXL_20240420_202814282.jpg

(I'll say again - that's my wife's #22 banner... I plan to find space for my #9 Championship banner now that this project is concluded. (y))

Next task was to load all this up onto the next workbench & shelving unit. Pulling all this off the shelves reminded me that I never want to move again... :ROFLMAO:

PXL_20240420_162522661.jpg

Looking good!

PXL_20240420_220033219.jpg

Rest of the garage laid out as planned in the models shown in the first posts of this thread.

PXL_20240420_220046027.jpg

PXL_20240420_220049103.jpg

Boxes in the middle of the garage hold items to go in the (currently empty) white cabinet. Ran out of time for the day.

Very happy how this turned out!

Now it'll be the little details. I have a plan for the drill/impact driver to mount on the wall. I still need to come up with a plan for the grinders... Thinking perhaps mounting them on the board against the shelving unit - but that's a very initial thought.

I want to keep the workbench surface as empty as possible - I need to keep reminding myself that it's not a long shelf!

PXL_20240420_121507883_PANO (2).jpg

PXL_20240420_220046027.jpg

PXL_20240420_220049103.jpg

Big day today....

View attachment 520420

Moved a number of items to the basement and shed and pulled items off the shelving units that the new workbench is intended to replace. Looked good when everything was emptied out.

View attachment 520411

Moved the workbenches into place. Used a laser level to set the workbenches square.

View attachment 520412

View attachment 520413

(I'll say again - that's my wife's #22 banner... I plan to find space for my #9 Championship banner now that this project is concluded. (y))

Next task was to load all this up onto the next workbench & shelving unit. Pulling all this off the shelves reminded me that I never want to move again... :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 520415

Looking good!

View attachment 520416

Rest of the garage laid out as planned in the models shown in the first posts of this thread.

View attachment 520419

View attachment 520421

Boxes in the middle of the garage hold items to go in the (currently empty) white cabinet. Ran out of time for the day.

Now it'll be the little details. I have a plan for the drill/impact driver to mount on the wall. I still need to come up with a plan for the grinders... Thinking perhaps mounting them on the board against the shelving unit - but that's a very initial thought.

I want to keep the workbench surface as empty as possible - I need to keep reminding myself that it's not a long shelf!

View attachment 520410

View attachment 520417

View attachment 520418

Great work. I love doing organization projects. Keep ‘em coming!

Reactions: FarFire70
Big day today....

View attachment 520420

View attachment 520411

View attachment 520412

View attachment 520413

View attachment 520415

Looking good!

View attachment 520416

View attachment 520419

View attachment 520421

View attachment 520410

View attachment 520417

View attachment 520418

Looks great! Beware the trap of too much flat surface. I have that and it’s always full of shit!

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and FarFire70
Great work. I love doing organization projects. Keep ‘em coming!

Thanks! It was very rewarding to get things organized. More to coming...

Looks great! Beware the trap of too much flat surface. I have that and it’s always full of shit!

Thanks! I'll really have to police myself because in our house we turn every large surface into a shelf.... Gotta break that habit, at least in the garage!

Reactions: JMT and Mike_H
How long will that last. I know in my case it only takes a few days for things to get spread out again. Lucky for me no one uses my shop but me. My shop is a mile from the house and my wife keeps coming over and threatens to organize things for me.

• Haha
Reactions: FarFire70 and sab
How long will that last. I know in my case it only takes a few days for things to get spread out again. Lucky for me no one uses my shop but me. My shop is a mile from the house and my wife keeps coming over and threatens to organize things for me.

Mine threatens the same. She likes to tell the story about how she organized my shop once to surprise me. The thought was nice, but apparently I said I’d have rather come home and found her in bed with the UPS guy or something!