Wrangler TJ Ball Joint Replacement

OTC makes a fair ball joint press, Snap-On makes a spectacular one (BJP1). If you plan on working on cars, Jeeps and trucks for sometime to come, it is worth having quality tools. You rarely hear anyone praise low price when a tool fails or their knuckles impact a frame rail. A great tool will last forever, money is a renewable resource. I still have my first socket set and ratchet bought in 1974. Functions like the day I got it. Expensive tools are cheaper in the long haul.

OTC makes a fair ball joint press, Snap-On makes a spectacular one (BJP1). If you plan on working on cars, Jeeps and trucks for sometime to come, it is worth having quality tools. You rarely hear anyone praise low price when a tool fails or their knuckles impact a frame rail. A great tool will last forever, money is a renewable resource. I still have my first socket set and ratchet bought in 1974. Functions like the day I got it. Expensive tools are cheaper in the long haul.
I don't know the difference between a fair and a spectacular press, but I have one from Specialty that I have had for 20 years. I have replaced countless ball joints with it and once, some folks who I wasn't watching closely enough put a cheater pipe on my ratcheting breaker bar. They pulled on that hard enough to break the bar trying to get a stubborn upper out. Surprisingly, the press has only increased in price 30 bucks in 20 years. I don't know if that is good or bad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SIBPIU/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Spectacular is the BJP1. All others live in its shadow. It is truly a beast. I did the balls in a rusty F350 diesel. Dana 60 up front. It popped them out like they were in balsa.

I'm bringing this back up to ask two press-related questions:

I don't know the difference between a fair and a spectacular press, but I have one from Specialty that I have had for 20 years. I have replaced countless ball joints with it and once, some folks who I wasn't watching closely enough put a cheater pipe on my ratcheting breaker bar. They pulled on that hard enough to break the bar trying to get a stubborn upper out. Surprisingly, the press has only increased in price 30 bucks in 20 years. I don't know if that is good or bad.

1. I'm in need of a ratcheting breaker bar: which one do you use?

2. Do you use a separate set of adapters for the TJ-style inner C's? If so, which?

I'm bringing this back up to ask two press-related questions:

1. I'm in need of a ratcheting breaker bar: which one do you use?

2. Do you use a separate set of adapters for the TJ-style inner C's? If so, which?
I have a couple of Craftsman 1/2", but, they have a pivot head. I'm used to them, they could be a pain for someone who isn't. I would likely give the one from Gearwrench a try if these die and the new Craftsman sucks.

I bought the big box of adapters. I don't use most of them. I've adapted most of them to work better on the TJ stuff. One that I didn't get in the box is the upper BJ lower cup. Digging around I did find the ones I have. The little lip that fits inside the lower side of the upper hole is invaluable for us.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...ment-ball-joint-press-adapter/577759_279648_0 It would be nice to find just the kit for the TJ. I'll try to get some pics of the other adapters and see if I can figure out where to get them. Or, if anyone has a kit they can put up so I can compare what I use to it, that would maybe give us a way to get this dialed in.

I use this. Works great for me.

Screenshot_20190326-115415_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I've used that OTC kit, and it's alright. Not great, or spectacular, but alright. I always end up stacking a bunch of stuff together, and it doesn't really work the way I want it to.

I may look into the Gearwrench breaker option; I don't trust the new Craftsman stuff...mostly because I've already seen a bunch of it break.

I've used that OTC kit, and it's alright. Not great, or spectacular, but alright. I always end up stacking a bunch of stuff together, and it doesn't really work the way I want it to.

I may look into the Gearwrench breaker option; I don't trust the new Craftsman stuff...mostly because I've already seen a bunch of it break.
Maybe they have changed what they put in it. I just used one on top and one on the bottom. Didn't stack anything.

Reactions: Daryl

That adapter kit worked fine for me. What did you find meh about it?

The only part I had to fiddle with was the angled adapter in order to make sure I was pressing the joint in at the proper angle. I guess that part of the design could be made more monkey proof?

I use all of mine incorrectly which is why I have modified most of them. All the instructions I've seen have the threaded rod down instead of up like I use it.

I use the rod pointed up as well, which - I think - is why I have so much trouble with the OTC kit. Or, I'm just deficient.