Wrangler TJ Ball Joint Replacement

Does the OTC 7894 include the angled installing piece? Most kits like these have the "4wd adapter" but they aren't angled like the Snap-On kit. I found that you can buy just the angled piece from the Snap-On kit. Would this piece work with another press, like the Autozone/ OTC press? $33 for it isn't so bad.
https://store.snapon.com/Ball-Joint-Presses-Adaptor-1-85-2-00-4-5-deg-Angled-Front-Face-P885667.aspx
I bought the OTC press and the Jeep adapter kit. I did not see any angled pieces, but they were not needed for the ball joint removal and install.

Are you installing non-standard ball joints?

I bought the OTC press and the Jeep adapter kit. I did not see any angled pieces, but they were not needed for the ball joint removal and install.

Are you installing non-standard ball joints?

I'm planning on installing the Spicer joints following this guide

I borrowed the set from autozone last week and it worked perfectly. Be ready for the pop and follow the video and it is pretty easy.
I have well over 200000 on mine and it was time. Did ball joints wheel bearings inner seals and u joints.
Seals were a little tricky but we came up with a good way to do it

Exsqueeze me? Baking powder? Two hundred fucking thousand miles on one set of ball joints??
I've got a set with 208ish thousand miles on them. If I could afford them, all I would install is OEM TJ Ball Joints. We have disassembled XJ fronts that you can tell by the stock bushings have massive amounts of miles on them and the ball joints are still tight.

I should have added I’m not the original owner. When I got them out they just crumbled. U joint were the same way. I believe the Jeep was a tow vehicle behind an RV at some point. Honestly I was chasing down death wobble and this was on the list. It needed done but I think the actual issue was something else

That 680 compound will work with a gap of up to .015
I used it on all 4. I didn’t know how they were going to fit. Should be good to go. Gonna be a couple days before I get it back together so will have plenty of time to fully cure.
Shouldn’t need to do them again, at least not for a very long time.

I used it on all 4. I didn’t know how they were going to fit. Should be good to go. Gonna be a couple days before I get it back together so will have plenty of time to fully cure.
Shouldn’t need to do them again, at least not for a very long time.

As long as everything was clean you won’t have any problems.

As long as everything was clean you won’t have any problems.
Yes a cleaned them then used loctite primer. They went in tight enough at the time I wasn’t concerned. Just looking back, they went in easier than the lowers.

ok for the press, but what tool do you recommend for separating the ball joint?
The OTC press and adapter kit is used to press the old ball joints out and then press the new ones in. It does both jobs.

Removing the knuckle from the ball joint is typically done with a hammer. In some circumstances, a pickle fork may be necessary

Reactions: Queticon
so that jaw/finger thing shown in the video isn't necessary? There are some cheap ones on Amazon, but they look as cheap as they are and some reviews say the tool broke on the first try.