Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

I started having the gas overflow problem about 6 months ago in my 06 TJ. I saw the GM part fix and ordered the part. While waiting for the part, I went to fill up the tank and added some Lucas injector cleaner to the tank. I did this on the next fill up also. The next time I filled the tank the pump shut off without gas overflowing. 3 tank fills later it's still working. I don't know if this is a coincidence, but for $8 of injector cleaner that I would have used anyway it's pretty nice fix. I assume the injector cleaner cleaned up the gunk on the valve. Worth a try.

ScoutII

Reactions: troy05tj
I started having the gas overflow problem about 6 months ago in my 06 TJ. I saw the GM part fix and ordered the part. While waiting for the part, I went to fill up the tank and added some Lucas injector cleaner to the tank. I did this on the next fill up also. The next time I filled the tank the pump shut off without gas overflowing. 3 tank fills later it's still working. I don't know if this is a coincidence, but for $8 of injector cleaner that I would have used anyway it's pretty nice fix. I assume the injector cleaner cleaned up the gunk on the valve. Worth a try.

ScoutII

I think I had something similar happen. My Jeep puked fuel when I filled too when I first bought it. I have a habit of pouring a bottle of Chevron Techron in the tank when I fill up and then drive on a long trip where most of the tank will be used at once. Ive done this for years in all my vehicles. After the 2nd trip of doing that, I noticed that it quit overflowing when I’d fill up. Maybe just a coincidence, but I’m glad it doesn’t do it any more. Over the last 2 years, I think it‘s some it once. If I ever have to drop the tank I plan pull the valve out and sand the little ridges down just to make sure it doesn‘t do it more.

ScoutII
There has never been any gunk of any sort whatsoever on the valves I've fixed.

Reactions: L J and rasband
I noticed the same phenomenon after pouring in Techron or Lucas fuel treatment on top of a full tank. (Yeah, yeah I know you're supposed to pour it in before you fill up but I forgot. And yeah, yeah, I know Techron and especially Lucas is snake oil but sometimes I like to oil the snake before a long trip.) The valve always seems to work properly for the next fill up, two if it is very soon thereafter.

My theory is that the lubricity of the fuel additive is what we are observing and that any benefit to that damn sticking plastic valve is temporary at best and any potential as a "cure" is wishful thinking .

Reactions: MountaineerTom
There has never been any gunk of any sort whatsoever on the valves I've fixed.

I’ve only fixed one (so take that for what it’s worth vs Blaine’s count), but similar to Blaine mine had no gunk on it. My assumption is that the plastic swelled up based on fuel additives. I’m glad the fix was just a drop+trimming of the tabs.

I was a bit nervous to yank that piece out (thinking I’d break something), but glad I did.

I’ve only fixed one (so take that for what it’s worth vs Blaine’s count), but similar to Blaine mine had no gunk on it. My assumption is that the plastic swelled up based on fuel additives. I’m glad the fix was just a drop+trimming of the tabs.

I was a bit nervous to yank that piece out (thinking I’d break something), but glad I did.
We just did another one yesterday. We don't even bother getting a file out any more. Just rub the nubs on the concrete until they are flush and snap it back in.

I did mine the other day, I was worried about breaking the thing off trying to get it out but it finally popped out without issue. Still waiting on a new gas tank skid before putting it all back together again. Easy fix and apparently the best permanent way to take care of this issue.

Reactions: Apparition
I said I would follow up so here is what's been happening. What I experienced was temporary as some mentioned it probably would be. The good news is I have a permanent fix now. I was starting to have some fuel pressure problems and the perfect opportunity to remove the valve and sand down the guides as recommended when the fuel pump was replaced. It's nice to fill up now without having gas belch out all over. We had a little trouble getting the valve off, but other than that it was no problem.

My 1997 TJ has an issue at the gas station.... while filling up, the gas pump will "click off" way too soon... and I end up with only about 3/4 of a tank of gas.... After the gas dispensing nozzle clicks off I can sometimes just "barley" squeeze the handle and allow a slow trickle of gas into my tank, it takes a while but I can finally get a full tank of gas.. I'm wondering if the MOD described in this link would address my issue.
Mine just started doing this? were you able to fix it?

I didn't have trouble getting gas into the tank. I had trouble with it spilling out when the pump shut off because the valve in the tank was stuck in the open position. Once I removed the valve and sanded down the plastic nubs it works like it should. I had ordered the GM hose part but didn't end up using it as I had the opportunity to fix it when I replaced the fuel pump. I still have the GM hose part if anyone needs one.

So I have a 2006 tj x and I'm having an evap leak i looked behind the rear driver tire were i seen the busted plastic connector. The one that runs from the back passenger and across the top of the tank. I bought the doorman connectors at autozone but they are wrong size can you tell me what plastic connector I will need that will fit.

So I have a 2006 tj x and I'm having an evap leak i looked behind the rear driver tire were i seen the busted plastic connector. The one that runs from the back passenger and across the top of the tank. I bought the doorman connectors at autozone but they are wrong size can you tell me what plastic connector I will need that will fit.
Post up a picture.