Wrangler TJ Radiator Replacement

Just so you know 94c, more rows do not necessarily mean better cooling or a better radiator. Absolutely. That is a far too common misconception.

For example, Jeep modified the TJ's original 2 row radiator to a different single row design in 2001 which improved the cooling. Both designs had all aluminum cores.

Most of the big expensive all aluminum radiators meant for desert use have just one large diameter row.

I wheel almost exclusively in the desert and pretty much all serious TJ wheelers out there know the oe radiator is more than up to any heat the desert can throw at it. Which is why we're so adamant about recommending newbies stick with the OE cooling system.
My 2000 4.0 Manual Sport is on it's third radiator. The second one was some all metal deal and I had an OEM Mopar available when I was involved in a minor accident about 3 years ago. After only 24 months of use, I began smelling a faint coolant odor at times, but was maintaining a good coolant level. My mechanic just replaced that radiator with an aluminum one (without discussing it with me - I'll visit him soon). I can't find a 2000 radiator (52080183AC), but already have the 2001 version (55037652AA) here. The mechanic does say he'll swap them for free, and I'll learn more about the failure mode. All the parts sites say the 2001 one won't fit my 2000. Jerry's comment about the new row design instituted in 2001 makes me think it likely will fit mechanically and work well. What say y'all?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Hey need some help. New to me 2001 SE with the 2.5L. Radiator is leaking at the seams. From what I can tell the original part (52080180AB) is discontinued. The replacement part (55037652AA) for the year claims it does not fit for the SE. Oddly, it fits for the 2002 SE, but I don't know enough if there's a difference between the years. Anybody have any idea if the replacement part will work before I chance it?

Hey need some help. New to me 2001 SE with the 2.5L. Radiator is leaking at the seams. From what I can tell the original part (52080180AB) is discontinued. The replacement part (55037652AA) for the year claims it does not fit for the SE. Oddly, it fits for the 2002 SE, but I don't know enough if there's a difference between the years. Anybody have any idea if the replacement part will work before I chance it?

Check to see if there is local radiator shop close to you. These can be rebuilt.