That’s a big entry fee. My wife might shirk right now. I am. My neighbor has a couple of welders I could use, but they don’t have the auto feed feature. I’d have to practice at his place. My biggest problem is where to put a 211. My garage is tiny and there’s no place right now. 🤔
Ive been wanting to get one too but have the same problem. Hopefully that changes very soon...

Reactions: JMT
So you're not gunna need to come visit the Wildman Gob Fab shop now? Gunna do your own welding and?

I KNOW it isn't a Miller but for half that price you can get this from Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/MIG-1...olt-Input-64805.html?cid=itcnonmember_oct2021
If you're a club member it's On Sale right now for $520. But the extended warranty and you'll be good for a while as you learn. Then once you've learned to weld better then move up to a brand name machine.

Of course look at me where I bought a Lincoln cause they were suppose to be good machines and I'd had one already. Now it's broken and I won't have it for a month or longer. I've thought about getting this unit to hold me over until I get mine back. Other than HEAVY welding a 170 Amp unit will work.
I have this welder and it does a pretty good job, the only trouble I had was with the crappy regulator but that was an easy $50 fix. It has done everything I have asked it to do.
I much prefer it over the Hobart 140 I was using before getting this, which by the way had to have the regulator replaced as well but they did do it under warranty.
If you have an AirGas store near you they can set you up very reasonably with gas.

Reactions: Wildman and Alex01
When I was looking for a welder, I tried used. Couldn't find anything reasonable. I ended up calling the local supply house that does the most volume. They had just gotten some Lincoln's 201MP's back from their program with the local community college. Call it a Demo Welder. Full warranty and all that, but about 20% off the retail price. I had them set me up with a tank, hood, gloves, etc and I think after tax I walked out of there spending just over 1800 dollars. I've since upgraded the hood...looking back, I wish I would have gotten a good hoof right off the bat. I spent a lot of frustrating hours over crappy beads because I simply couldn't see. The hood made a HUGE difference. I'm still a crappy welder, but at least I can see the crappy beads as I'm putting them down, instead of going blind and praying it will work!

When I was looking for a welder, I tried used. Couldn't find anything reasonable. I ended up calling the local supply house that does the most volume. They had just gotten some Lincoln's 201MP's back from their program with the local community college. Call it a Demo Welder. Full warranty and all that, but about 20% off the retail price. I had them set me up with a tank, hood, gloves, etc and I think after tax I walked out of there spending just over 1800 dollars. I've since upgraded the hood...looking back, I wish I would have gotten a good hoof right off the bat. I spent a lot of frustrating hours over crappy beads because I simply couldn't see. The hood made a HUGE difference. I'm still a crappy welder, but at least I can see the crappy beads as I'm putting them down, instead of going blind and praying it will work!
Which hood did you end up going with?

Reactions: Wildman
Which hood did you end up going with?
A sellstrom. Something I found at MSC. Price has come down too, since I bought. I think Amazon has them too

I didn't spend a ton of time researching...I just looked for the biggest viewing lens I could find, auto-darkening and I didn't want to spend a terrible amount. The grind feature of the lens is nice to have.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/95354494

Reactions: Alex01
My TJ is buried under rugs, chairs, boxes and a whole bunch of other stuff. I couldnt pull it out of the garage even if I wanted to:ROFLMAO:
And you want to get a welder in there?! I feel your pain. 😬

Reactions: Wildman
And you want to get a welder in there?! I feel your pain. 😬
We're in the middle of home shopping now. Looking at homes with oversized two car garages (three would be ideal) and I definitely plan on having 220 installed.

My current garage is only 10x27. But with a TJ, motorcyle, work bench, deep freezer and winter/summer gear, you can barely move around in there. Our electrical panel is maxed too, no room for any additional breakers.

• Sad
Reactions: JMT and Wildman
We're in the middle of home shopping now. Looking at homes with oversized two car garages (three would be ideal) and I definitely plan on having 220 installed.

My current garage is only 10x27. But with a TJ, motorcyle, work bench, deep freezer and winter/summer gear, you can barely move around in there. Our electrical panel is maxed too, no room for any additional breakers.
Make sure you have room for an outbuilding too! I have a 20 x 20 garage (which is really only a stall and a half to anyone but a realtor) AND my 24 x 30 shop. Only an 85 x 150 town lot!

The Miller 190 is comparable to the 211, it's an inverter type machine, it just isn't dual voltage, and it welds up to 5/16" (I've done 1/2") The 211 was the replacement but you might still find one searching around they go for a little over half as much.

• Love
Reactions: JMT and Wildman
Our electrical panel is maxed too, no room for any additional breakers.
I don’t want to muddy JMTs build to much but tandem breakers can be a big help in a full panel situation. Some frown on them I only use them if absolutely needed.

This is my panel where I had to add a 220V 20A for a compressor, 220V 50A for a welder/ heater and 120V 20A for dedicated garage power.

4147E8E5-1C6B-4B9B-A9EF-7561FE3EAE2A.jpeg

I did move circuits around to balance my panel.

Back to welder talk.

I finally got around to adding a separate 100 amp panel to the garage this past year. In the process I added a 220v plug for the welder and plasma cutter, a 220v plug for the mini split HVAC, and a 20 amp 110v plug for welding. I can't believe I went all these years without doing it right!

The body mount ears were totally bent in pinching the rubber body mount. I couldn’t pry them away. I had to loosen 5 body mounts on that side to get enough space to force it out. Then I fixed and cleaned it all up, painted. Back in business till next time.
CDF20A5A-B092-4D5E-994B-7698D5855BEA.jpeg

4639E7D4-0355-4339-BE92-5A3959BAC92B.jpeg

6B3B2391-272F-4609-802B-6D4AD6474612.jpeg

image.jpg

The body mount ears were totally bent in pinching the rubber body mount. I couldn’t pry them away. I had to loosen 5 body mounts on that side to get enough space to force it out. Then I fixed and cleaned it all up, painted. Back in business till next time.
View attachment 286567
View attachment 286566

View attachment 286568

View attachment 286569

Mine looked like that also which is why I did the raised body mounts. I know the SWAG isn't the APPROVED mount but I like them and he's a local company. And they are truely beef.

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01 and JMT
Mine looked like that also which is why I did the raised body mounts. I know the SWAG isn't the APPROVED mount but I like them and he's a local company. And they are truely beef.
I’ve looked at the UNAPPROVED swag Bertha mounts before and now I’m wondering if I could weld them on without modifying much of my C bracket for the Savvy MUA. They look like they weld to the side of the frame only and don’t wrap over the top.

Last edited:
I’ve looked at the UNAPPROVED swag Bertha mounts before and now I’m wondering if I could weld them on without modifying my C bracket for the Savvy MUA.

This might pose a problem. So yep you might be stuck with the GR mounts which are great also.

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01 and JMT