Accommodation Recommendations for TJ Fest Moab 2021

I am planning on pulling my little off road M416 with a roof top tent trailer. My thoughts were camp grounds when available and “boondocking” when not. The bigger question for me is how many miles per day is everyone else planning on. I have a couple of issues, my LJ gets about 10 mpg when towing the trailer, the black soft top and less than efficient a/c makes places like Kansas pretty brutal (my wife and I drove out to Colorado two years ago and it was pretty tough). So how many miles per day are people thinking they want to do? When we drove out to CO we were traveling with several Toyota 4Runners, all of which were fairly new and not especially built. They wanted to cruise at 70 or so and my LJ was not too happy with that........ thoughts?
+1 here! The wife and I are thinking of travelling with our RTT Trailer also, and interested in where to stay either simple camping or "off grid" we are pretty self supported. As for my travelling distance coming from the Portland, OR area is to drive it in 2 days (~1000 miles for us), so for me ~65 mph (regearing helps with the trailer too), 8-9 hour days driving with a break or two. Still gotta figure out where we are going to stop halway and what accomodations we want and where???

Appreciate any recommendations folks might have.

@Chris is this the official thread where I find people willing to share my AirBnB accommodations or should I do that back in the main thread?

This is the official thread. However, you can post something there and then redirect them to this thread just for extra exposure (y)

Reactions: Ron505
Is anyone staying at the KOA? Is anyone camping “off grid”?
I'm staying at the KOA for the entire week. I'll be in my camper van with Blacksheep on the trailer. I hope to be heading out to Utah in the next week or so. Complications on getting the trailer titled is forcing a departure delay.

I'll be in Moab for EJS also if anyone is heading out there - also staying at the KOA. As you can see, it's hard to miss my van, stop by and say Hi if you see me.

Between EJS and the TJ Fest I'll be boondocking around Utah and taking the van wherever I can get it. The trailer and Jeep will be mostly stored out there between the two events.
1614626819840.png

Reactions: qslim
I'll be camping as well. I checked out KOA but don't really want to have to pay 50$/night just to sit in my tent. Anyone know any good dispersed camping out there that won't be too far from the trails? Or if any groups are planning on camping together maybe I could set up nearby?

I'll be camping as well. I checked out KOA but don't really want to have to pay 50$/night just to sit in my tent. Anyone know any good dispersed camping out there that won't be too far from the trails? Or if any groups are planning on camping together maybe I could set up nearby?

Theres a lot of first come sites, otherwise BLM land that I think is south on the way to the needles canyon lands entrance.

Reactions: lBasket
Lots of dispersed camping out along Willow springs road, north of town. Also Dalton Wells road north of town.

Theres a lot of first come sites, otherwise BLM land that I think is south on the way to the needles canyon lands entrance.
Looks like it's ~25mins from the town itself for the entrance of needles, if I'm looking at the right spot. Guess that isn't too bad. Looks like there is a good assortment of camping out there so maybe I'm overthinking it.

Lots of dispersed camping out along Willow springs road, north of town. Also Dalton Wells road north of town.
Ah the road names are really helpful since I haven't been there before (trying to look on google maps). Guess it looks like there's a decent amount of options so maybe I'll be just fine wandering around for a spot when I show up.

Reactions: BlackSheep
Looks like it's ~25mins from the town itself for the entrance of needles, if I'm looking at the right spot. Guess that isn't too bad. Looks like there is a good assortment of camping out there so maybe I'm overthinking it.

Check out freecampsites.net

I'm staying at the KOA for the entire week. I'll be in my camper van with Blacksheep on the trailer. I hope to be heading out to Utah in the next week or so. Complications on getting the trailer titled is forcing a departure delay.

I'll be in Moab for EJS also if anyone is heading out there - also staying at the KOA. As you can see, it's hard to miss my van, stop by and say Hi if you see me.

Between EJS and the TJ Fest I'll be boondocking around Utah and taking the van wherever I can get it. The trailer and Jeep will be mostly stored out there between the two events.
View attachment 230400
We'll be at the KOA as well. We're staying in the high-rent district. I'm not sure if you pull-through types are even allowed in the luxury cabin area, but I'll put in a good word for you :ROFLMAO: .

I have a wife & two kids with me, I'll be damned if I'm camping with them all. Look for a white Sahara pulled by a white Silverado that's loaded down with enough supplies to survive in comfort for at least three months.

Check out freecampsites.net
Oh perfect just what I needed thank you! I've been trying out the dyrt app on my phone for this and it's not really delivering.

Hopefully I can live for a week without a shower, although I have a buddy that comes out for skinny tire festival that claims he knows all the places to shower for free/cheap so we'll see long I last

Reactions: Ron505
Oh perfect just what I needed thank you! I've been trying out the dyrt app on my phone for this and it's not really delivering.

Hopefully I can live for a week without a shower, although I have a buddy that comes out for skinny tire festival that claims he knows all the places to shower for free/cheap so we'll see long I last

There’s a nice river that runs next to town ;)

All you nasty camping types are welcome to clean up in my luxurious extra deluxe KOA cabin. I'd love to see the look on my wife's face on Wednesday night when there's a line of dudes with towels & bar soap waiting outside. "It's cool honey, they're forum guys".

Baby wipes. I went 18 days without a shower when I left SC on March 9th, before I checked into the Moab KOA for EJS on the 27th. It just became part of my morning routine.

• Wow
Reactions: Farmergreg
All you nasty camping types are welcome to clean up in my luxurious extra deluxe KOA cabin. I'd love to see the look on my wife's face on Wednesday night when there's a line of dudes with towels & bar soap waiting outside. "It's cool honey, they're forum guys".
So generous. I might have to find you if the river is too cold!

Baby wipes. I went 18 days without a shower when I left SC on March 9th, before I checked into the Moab KOA for EJS on the 27th. It just became part of my morning routine.
Ha! Good idea, just added it to my list of crap to bring just in case.

You guys are so helpful. But maybe it's worse for you all than myself if I can't clean myself up somehow!