Assistance with bump steer

@freedom_in_4low you mentioned the axle side track bar end not being in the original location. I wonder if there could be a chance that the hole is wallowed out? I guess I should disconnect it and take a look. Although dry steering test doesnt show any movement.

If it's properly torqued, it has to be REALLY wallowed out, like approaching the diameter of the bolt head for it to be a problem. And if that was a problem, it would more likely be death wobble than bump steer. Like I said, kinda grasping at straws with that. Usually the kind of drag link vs track bar mismatch that causes bump steer is off by multiple inches.

I have a strong feeling that it is something suspension related, not steering related. Here is a list of things that I would inspect: Look closely at all 4 shocks and verify no leaks, no bends, mounts in good condition. Do the shocks hit the lower spring mount. Are the rear springs properly seated in the lower spring mounts?

Do you have a JKS track bar on the front?

Hard to tell from the picture, but is there a lock and flat washer here?

Track bar.png

Shocks are not bottoming out. Checked with zip ties and driving for about a week they only moved to middle of the shaft on all 4 corners.

I was reviewing this thread. You wrote the note above in the first post. I'm not familier with Falcon Shocks, but this doesn't seen right. If you are only using 1/2 the travel, then the shocks are not right for your Jeep. Shocks that are too stiff, or shocks that pump up could cause the symptoms you mention.

FWIW, on advice of many in this forum, I run Rancho 5000 shocks. They are cheap and they give a good ride. I switched to Rancho shocks from Bilstein 5100 shocks. I htought the Bilsteins were OK until I read here that they did not do well on the little hits, I think it was Jerry that charaterized the problem by saying that if he ran over a quarter, he could tell if it was heads or tails. Once Jerry poisoned my mind, the Bilsteins were not good enough. :)

Very fair assessment. I have thought about changing out the shocks but didn't want to just hang parts to end up with a larger bin of perfectly good parts.

The falcon piggybacks for the TJ’s show on Falcons website to be for 3.5-4” lift. Which is what is on my Jeep.

On normal paved streets I wouldn’t think that the amount of shock travel would be greater than half travel.

Very fair assessment. I have thought about changing out the shocks but didn't want to just hang parts to end up with a larger bin of perfectly good parts.

The falcon piggybacks for the TJ’s show on Falcons website to be for 3.5-4” lift. Which is what is on my Jeep.

On normal paved streets I wouldn’t think that the amount of shock travel would be greater than half travel.

The next question is, do you get similar behavior at all speeds?

I would stay away from the Falcon shocks. My buddy bought a set for his JK after 6 months he developed a loud squeak on bumps. Went through the whole suspension finally isolated it to internally to the shock. He bought them new off eBay but not authorized dealer. They would not help him at all and would not sell him one shock. Only available as a set of 4.

We be twins. Well, except for that steering stablizer. I would take the stablizer off and go for a test drive.

Bump steer, as I understand it, comes from different angles and/or lenghts when comparing the track bar and the drag link. You do not have a good head on photo, but I'd guess your setup is OK.

View attachment 363606

I've had some really strange handling when one end of a swaybar link got loose. Your fronts look new. have you checked the back?

We should ask about your shocks too. What shocks are you running?

Your two lines while fairly accurate, should take into account the pivot points at each end of the draglink. More like this. Doesn't change much except the location of the pivots.
1665062747307.png