Basket's Build

I’m always Leary of changing from the OEM TB for bumpstop purposes.
Why is this? I was confident it was the right decision for me since my bumpstop was so lopsided due to an uncentered axle in the front - 1" on passenger and .25" driver

but I could be wrong

Why is this? I was confident it was the right decision for me since my bumpstop was so lopsided due to an uncentered axle in the front - 1" on passenger and .25" driver

but I could be wrong
Let me back up in the thread and get a handle on what’s going on.

I am leary because the axle is usually not very far off at 2-2.5”, and it may require more bumpstop than you would if you just stayed with stock. If my axle is off 5/8”-3/4” off I just stay stock.

But I’ll read more and see what’s happening.

Reactions: lBasket
Let me back up in the thread and get a handle on what’s going on.

I am leary because the axle is usually not very far off at 2-2.5”, and it may require more bumpstop than you would if you just stayed with stock. If my axle is off 5/8”-3/4” off I just stay stock.

But I’ll read more and see what’s happening.
Post #225 has the measurements for bump for both sides of front axle. Everything else is symmetrical that I know of which is why I assume it's the TB causing the difference

Reactions: JMT
Got the engine skid in today. Getting exhaust interference with it on the higher clearance holes to the struts so I might want to figure that out eventually.
View attachment 320435
I see some people paint theirs... I can't even be bothered to remove the packing tape residue lol. It's just a skid plate anyways and won't rust.

Waiting on some food and then I'll probably finish the radio install and then I think I'll start cycling the rear suspension.

I think I might have bought the wrong front track bar... I got the JKSOG125, I have 2.5" of lift. Anyone made that work with a similar lift or should I just go ahead and order the other one so I can be sure it's here in time for Moab?
View attachment 320436
Ok, I caught up here. If you want to swap I can do that. I know about where it is. 👍🏼 I can measure it too if you want.

Ok, I caught up here. If you want to swap I can do that. I know about where it is. 👍🏼 I can measure it too if you want.
Thanks... I already ordered the shorter one and I'll just return the long one when it shows up. If I wasn't in a bit of a time crunch things might be different but I just wanna get this stuff done ASAP so I can fit in a shakedown run before heading to Moab.

Sounds reasonable to want the adjustable TB to fix that issue though, right?

Reactions: Wildman
Thanks... I already ordered the shorter one and I'll just return the long one when it shows up. If I wasn't in a bit of a time crunch things might be different but I just wanna get this stuff done ASAP so I can fit in a shakedown run before heading to Moab.

Sounds reasonable to want the adjustable TB to fix that issue though, right?
I’m not sure what’s causing the passenger side to require 1” bumpstop and the driver 0.25”. It could be the axle is off-centered. I’m just not there. Out of curiosity, how much is it off-center? If you want it perfectly centered, then yes, you want an adjustable trackbar or drill another hole

I’m not sure what’s causing the passenger side to require 1” bumpstop and the driver 0.25”. It could be the axle is off-centered. I’m just not there. Out of curiosity, how much is it off-center? If you want it perfectly centered, then yes, you want an adjustable trackbar or drill another hole
I honestly didn't measure the front, I figured that would be the obvious reasoning. That plus the difficulty in getting the TB mounted. I did measure the rear as I centered it with the Currie TB/bracket though, and IIRC it was about 1" or 1.25" off center

The front TB is off now otherwise I'd measure it, it's such a pain to get back on plus my thinking of needing a new one I just haven't bothered

Also if I'm off base you can tell me I'm learning as I go... I just didn't know what else would cause asymmetry like that

I honestly didn't measure the front, I figured that would be the obvious reasoning. That plus the difficulty in getting the TB mounted. I did measure the rear as I centered it with the Currie TB/bracket though, and IIRC it was about 1" or 1.25" off center

The front TB is off now otherwise I'd measure it, it's such a pain to get back on plus my thinking of needing a new one I just haven't bothered
Ok, well, you’re all in. As I said before, sometimes a front adjustable trackbar is bent differently and requires more BS than stock bc of some interference. TJ’s can be finicky at 2-2.5” of lift.

I vote bumping up to 4” lift (sarcasm). 😉 Hope you have a great trip to Moab!

Ok, well, you’re all in. As I said before, sometimes a front adjustable trackbar is bent differently and requires more BS than stock bc of some interference. TJ’s can be finicky at 2-2.5” of lift.
More backspacing? Hmmmmmm interesting okay I guess I'll see how it plays out.
I vote bumping up to 4” lift (sarcasm). 😉 Hope you have a great trip to Moab!
Yeah I mean that is the next logical step after the TT... so it'll probably happen sooner or later. Be nice to upgrade from 31s! Thanks! I think it should be a lot more fun this year driving a nonstock Jeep

Reactions: Wildman
More backspacing? Hmmmmmm interesting okay I guess I'll see how it plays out.

Yeah I mean that is the next logical step after the TT... so it'll probably happen sooner or later. Be nice to upgrade from 31s! Thanks! I think it should be a lot more fun this year driving a nonstock Jeep
Also if I'm off base you can tell me I'm learning as I go... I just didn't know what else would cause asymmetry like that
BumpStop. Sorry, too many acronyms running together.

• Haha
BumpStop. Sorry, too many acronyms running together.
Okay yeah I was like howww do my tires affect this? Okay that's good to know... Good point. I will keep an eye out. Always appreciate talking through this though, hopefully the bend doesn't cause me any issues because it (potentially) can even out my travel between axles.

I think I was just slightly biased to downtravel before, although more so on the passenger side. I'm hoping with new TB + BL I can end up something like 4.75 up 4.25 down which would be a good split I think. I do need longer shocks though idk why the BDS lift comes with shocks too short

Reactions: Wildman and JMT
Your axle is going to be off center at 2-2.5” suspension lift because the frame side mount is 2-2.5” higher causing the axle to shift to the drivers side. It’s a simple square of the hypotenuse calculation, but you have to know all the original values. At any rate, I’ve had 5/8”, which is minor, and up to 1 1/16” (same springs on two different rigs.

If I were you I’d consider two options

1) just split the difference and run 3/4” bumpstop. The passenger will use the jounce as a soft bump.

2) try an adjustable TB.

Report back.

Your axle is going to be off center at 2-2.5” suspension lift because the frame side mount is 2-2.5” higher causing the axle to shift to the drivers side. It’s a simple square of the hypotenuse calculation, but you have to know all the original values. At any rate, I’ve had 5/8”, which is minor, and up to 1 1/16” (same springs on two different rigs.

If I were you I’d consider two options

1) just split the difference and run 3/4” bumpstop. The passenger will use the jounce as a soft bump.

2) try an adjustable TB.

Report back.
Hmmm I was told the jounce will 100% compress so it shouldn't be considered when setting bump stop. Is that true?

Adjustable TB on the way already and will be cycling when it shows up so I'll tag you when I get into measuring

Okay yeah I was like howww do my tires affect this? Okay that's good to know... Good point. I will keep an eye out. Always appreciate talking through this though, hopefully the bend doesn't cause me any issues because it (potentially) can even out my travel between axles.

I think I was just slightly biased to downtravel before, although more so on the passenger side. I'm hoping with new TB + BL I can end up something like 4.75 up 4.25 down which would be a good split I think. I do need longer shocks though idk why the BDS lift comes with shocks too short
These companies pair shocks with springs, but there are too many variables between TJ’s to get a perfect 50:50 travel bias. What you have is pretty decent. Get it all set up and enjoy it at Moab. You can always dial things in more when you get back. You’re going to do great!

Hmmm I was told the jounce will 100% compress so it shouldn't be considered when setting bump stop. Is that true?

Adjustable TB on the way already and will be cycling when it shows up so I'll tag you when I get into measuring
Technically that’s correct, but you are going so slow you can fudge a little. You’re not going to slam the shock closed and damage it. It will be gentle. I wouldn’t hesitate to run 0.5” bumpstop on your current setup

These companies pair shocks with springs, but there are too many variables between TJ’s to get a perfect 50:50 travel bias. What you have is pretty decent. Get it all set up and enjoy it at Moab. You can always dial things in more when you get back. You’re going to do great!
Yeah does seem like every one is a little bit different. I think it's setup well - but I also thought that last time and I think I got away with not breaking anything mostly from dumb luck lol so doing more preparation this time :LOL: it's interesting to learn how it all interacts too.

Technically that’s correct, but you are going so slow you can fudge a little. You’re not going to slam the shock closed and damage it. It will be gentle. I wouldn’t hesitate to run 0.5” bumpstop on your current setup
Okay yeah this is a good point, if I'm hitting bumpstop at any kind of speed I'm probably in the middle of a wreck or about to be in one lol. If it ends up similar after the new TB I will probably end up making it symmetrical due to this

Okay yeah this is a good point, if I'm hitting bumpstop at any kind of speed I'm probably in the middle of a wreck or about to be in one lol.
Or running the whoops on Poison Spider, or driving the roads around Colorado! All you want with the jaunces/bump stops is a progressive reduction in speed before bottoming your shocks.

It'll happen more than you think. For example my DS hits my exhaust at full stuff (5.5" travel to get there), I heard it pretty often until it finally clearanced itself.

• Wow
Not much done today, got rear tow hooks installed on both sides.
1649215684231.png

Went out for a nice dinner for my bday last night. Probably some of the best sushi I've ever had, and as far from the Ocean as you can get lol. We did an Omakase experience which was a really fun time

Not much done today, got rear tow hooks installed on both sides.
View attachment 321033

Went out for a nice dinner for my bday last night. Probably some of the best sushi I've ever had, and as far from the Ocean as you can get lol. We did an Omakase experience which was a really fun time
Happy Birthday ish!

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and lBasket