Bastard locker

We are all human but some days trying to figure if I screwed up, my help screwed up, my parts supplier screwed up, or if the customer is just not paying attention is beyond difficult. Hey, this part doesn't fit. They have always fit, I check them to make sure they fit, are you sure we aren't just confused? Nope, doesn't fit. Are you sure because if you are sure, I have to pull 200 knuckles off the shelf and test fit all of them again. You are about to make me spend a lot of time and effort to make sure no one else gets this bad part. Then if it is bad, then I have to get the engineer involved, the machine shop involved, and the foundry involved to find out why it doesn't fit. Are you sure you don't want to just check it to see if maybe you are confused?

Let me try again. Then a few days later. I was confused.
Ain't this the truth! On more than one occasion, I've been the confused one. I always start with "This part doesn't seem to fit, I've tried X,Y,Z. What am I doing wrong?" Once or twice I've gotten an "Oh shit, we sent wrong/defective part and/or told you something wrong, etc, etc..." - but usually its more along the lines "did you do A,B,C? Did you do them in order?" Nope... 🥶

I designed a rather complicated memory card for the industrial computer company I worked for back in the stone ages. It had a 10 step configuration procedure. If you skipped a step, or did things out of order, it wouldn't work. I had to walk a few customers through it, but after our support people figured out that the 10 step procedure really *did* work, they were able to handle customer calls themselves and not ask me to intervene.

Last edited:
We are all human but some days trying to figure if I screwed up, my help screwed up, my parts supplier screwed up, or if the customer is just not paying attention is beyond difficult. Hey, this part doesn't fit. They have always fit, I check them to make sure they fit, are you sure we aren't just confused? Nope, doesn't fit. Are you sure because if you are sure, I have to pull 200 knuckles off the shelf and test fit all of them again. You are about to make me spend a lot of time and effort to make sure no one else gets this bad part. Then if it is bad, then I have to get the engineer involved, the machine shop involved, and the foundry involved to find out why it doesn't fit. Are you sure you don't want to just check it to see if maybe you are confused?

Let me try again. Then a few days later. I was confused.
I know what you mean. I deal with the same sort of issues at work. But instead of vehicle parts it’s high line towers. Not my first rodeo unfortunately.

My pop was the BA for the Roswell NM IBEW Local.
Your pops was a busy and intelligent man then. That is a very demanding job. He had to take care of a lot of people and a lot of problems. This forum is awesome! I’m already meeting IBEW fam.

Reactions: Zorba
Your pops was a busy and intelligent man then. That is a very demanding job. He had to take care of a lot of people and a lot of problems. This forum is awesome! I’m already meeting IBEW fam.
I’m the chairman of the executive board at my local. So I know what a BA has to deal with.

Reactions: Zorba
@IBEW66 I Just got off the phone with Eaton. The unit has to get returned to where you bought it from. He said they isolated it to a single batch. Unfortunately, you and I are deep in it.

@IBEW66 I Just got off the phone with Eaton. The unit has to get returned to where you bought it from. He said they isolated it to a single batch. Unfortunately, you and I are deep in it.
That's tough. We always want a replacement part right away and it is almost impossible for them to send that out for free.

I got the same response. The guy that answered sound non to happy. He was pretty short with me.Quadratec is checking with Eaton to see if they will drop ship a new locker. I’m waiting on a phone call to verify this now.

Yessir! That means your pops was a brother of mine.
My son just started with IBEW 453 as an apprentice 6 weeks ago. Working on boiler controls right now for the new jail here. So far he likes it, good contractor and his Journeymen are not hazing him too hard.

My son just started with IBEW 453 as an apprentice 6 weeks ago. Working on boiler controls right now for the new jail here. So far he likes it, good contractor and his Journeymen are not hazing him too hard.
It’s not as rough as it was in years past. The apprenticeship protects them pretty well. Good luck to him!

Reactions: AMS417
@IBEW66 Anybody know if the FLEs are still active? My father was high up in that org back in the day, but he always said the IO did NOT like the fact the FLEs even existed!