CodaMan's 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Some automotive paint stores can match colors. You just have to find one that carries a bank of interior toners so they can match it. I worked at a PPG paint store for 15 years, and would color match all kinds of crazy stuff people brought in.

I thought about going that route, however I was concerned about needing paint for hard plastic and I'm not sure what is special about that type of paint.

I thought about going that route, however I was concerned about needing paint for hard plastic and I'm not sure what is special about that type of paint.
It is available. Cars aren't painted with metal paint and plastic paint. It is all the same stuff. The prep chemicals are what you need to be aware of.

I've been out of the paint business for some time now, so not sure what all is out there now, but back in the day, SEM offered a bank of dye toners for interior colors. The toners were a lot thinner than automotive exterior paint, and more flexible. Just thought I'd put the option out there.

Reactions: CodaMan
It is available. Cars aren't painted with metal paint and plastic paint. It is all the same stuff. The prep chemicals are what you need to be aware of.

Then what is the hype all about for products like Krylon Fusion that is specifically designed for plastics?

It's all about adhesion. You can't put an aggressive mechanical tooth for the paint to stick to on plastic like you can on metal, so the chemical makeup of the paint has to accommodate for that.

Reactions: Rob5589
It's all about adhesion. You can't put an aggressive mechanical tooth for the paint to stick to on plastic like you can on metal, so the chemical makeup of the paint has to accommodate for that.

I was going off what @Rob5589 said about all the the paints being "the same stuff". Just trying to figure out my options.

Then what is the hype all about for products like Krylon Fusion that is specifically designed for plastics?
I was going off what @Rob5589 said about all the the paints being "the same stuff". Just trying to figure out my options.
It is probably a bit more "flexible" to accommodate plastics flexing. It also works fine on metal, wood, etc.

Reactions: CodaMan
I can't post a link right now, but they are these —- Body Armor 4x4 TJ-4121 Black - Steel RockCrawler Side Guards

So these ones then:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NP1PPG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I have some side steps right now, but they're absolute garbage. I bought them a month ago and they're already failing on me. I don't rock crawl, so I don't actually want these for rocks as much as I want a very low profile "step" to get in and out of the vehicle, which doesn't require me removing or drilling into the factory Rubicon rocker panel.

These ones look like they would be a nice, subtle "step", but also work for the rocks if I ever needed them too. Did they require any drilling?

where did you get the doors and what brand are they? And roughly how much do they cost.

Definitely on my must get list?

Any updates on the painted doors project? I'm at a point where I need to get this done for the summer. I'm going to take them by a couple of paint shops, just for estimates to compare costs...

My biggest concern about rattle can painting these is trying to get the finish on the clear coat to match the factory finish...don't quite know how to do that.

Any updates on the painted doors project? I'm at a point where I need to get this done for the summer. I'm going to take them by a couple of paint shops, just for estimates to compare costs...

My biggest concern about rattle can painting these is trying to get the finish on the clear coat to match the factory finish...don't quite know how to do that.

Haven't started yet. Weather has been bad and had some family emergencies. Hoping to start next week.

Oh how I would love to find a set of half doors, painted khaki, with khaki door panels... I wish!

Good luck with that. I've been looking nation wide for a year and have seen nothing in khaki.

I could live with just khaki door panels and then repaint the doors. I'm not putting black door panels on, that will look off.

What color are your door panels?

I just got back from a 4 day trip to my several acre property in the mountains right outside of Yosemite National Park. We're preparing to build a house on it and I needed to do some work, so I took the Jeep up there to be a work vehicle. I removed about 15 dead oak trees, cut up all the wood and burned all the tree brush.

However, I did make time for some poser pics :)

FYI - All the property you see in the photos is mine. The creek runs down the center of the property.

IMG_20160319_092615235.jpg

IMG_20180422_155507788.jpg

IMG_20180422_160353990.jpg

IMG_20180422_162756320.jpg

IMG_20180422_164258399.jpg

IMG_20180422_165021236.jpg