CodaMan's 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Hi @CodaMan,

I noticed you used the RS5000Xs 2.5" VS the 0-2".
I have seen recommendations that have advocated for both lengths as the correct shock.
It's almost as if there really isn't a wrong answer.

What made you choose the longer 2.5" over the 0-2"?
I have researched this for days now. I'm probably overthinking it.

Thanks in advance,

John in NC

I just went with those and set the bump stop correctly. I have had no issues, plus if I ever want to add a small spacer or even a longer spring I should still be good for shocks.

Reactions: MakJeeps
do you recommend this setup for a sahara stock? i do really need smooth ride cause a spine problem. so im looking for 33"s but as confrotable as possible.

• Rancho 5000x + OME springs?
  • Rancho 5000x + procomp?

Any idea is well appreciated. Thank you.

I get a lot of members asking for details on my lift, so I thought it appropriate to provide the information on it here, along with some gratuitous photos of course ;)

Parts I used in my lift (approx. $550 for everything listed):

1) Pro Comp 2" Springs (Front) — EXP55297
2) Pro Comp 2" Springs (Rear) — EXP55298
3) Rancho RS5000X Shocks (2 Front) — RS55239
4) Rancho RS5000X Shocks (2 Rear) — RS55241
5) OME Rear Track Bar Reloaction Bracket — ARB FKWTJ02
6) Daystar.75" Spacers — KJ09108BK (note: only used above front springs for leveling)
7) Rock Krawler Bump Stop Extensions (Front and Rear) --RKSRK05611 (note: Comes with 6 1" extensions. Glue or bolt 1 to each spring bucket at the bottom of the front springs; I used this RTV Adhesive and it worked great. Then bolt 1 above each bump stop cup on rear springs)

Here are top on/top off photos to get a perspective of it with 265/75R16 tires (basically 32's):

View attachment 40057

View attachment 40058

View attachment 40060
how is the ride? any experience on medium/hard offroad? I agree it has a great posture, but how is the performance?

I did, but since I don't ever plan on regearing to run 35s I could go with a 2" lift and add a 1" body lift if I want 33s. Plus, once you go 3" you have to add adjustable track bars and probably some adjustable control arms to fix pinion angles which will double the cost of the lift. So it was a "what do I do with the Jeep and what mods are required to do those things"

Yet another thread to make me think. One term I learned from here is "unmolested" so I have a blank canvas. I thought I had my mind made up on an OME Ultimate 2.5 HD kit but this is ~$900 cheaper and would allow me to run the stock rims. I really have no desire for 33/12.5 as I was leaning towards 33/10.5 if I did run 33's. My only concern is the E load range on a K02 in that tire size.

I do like your comment "what do I do with the Jeep and what mods are required to do those things". I'll likely be cruising old logging roads and dried river beds. Decisions decisions....

I love your Jeep, CodaMan. Thank you for making it easy to duplicate your look by providing part numbers.

I noticed that you keep referring to your Jeep as having a 2.5" lift, but your part numbers list 2" coils. Did the Pro-Comp 2" springs give you 2.5"? Or am I missing something?

I get a lot of members asking for details on my lift, so I thought it appropriate to provide the information on it here, along with some gratuitous photos of course ;)

Parts I used in my lift (approx. $600 for everything listed):

1) Pro Comp 2" Springs (Front) — EXP55297
2) Pro Comp 2" Springs (Rear) — EXP55298
3) Rancho RS5000X Shocks (2 Front) — RS55239
4) Rancho RS5000X Shocks (2 Rear) — RS55241
5) OME Rear Track Bar Reloaction Bracket — ARB FKWTJ02
6) Daystar.75" Spacers — KJ09108BK (note: only used above front springs for leveling)
7) Rock Krawler Bump Stop Extensions (Front and Rear) --RKSRK05611 (note: Comes with 6 1" extensions. Glue or bolt 1 to each spring bucket at the bottom of the front springs; I used this RTV Adhesive and it worked great. Then bolt 1 above each bump stop cup on rear springs)

Here are top on/top off photos to get a perspective of it with 265/75R16 tires (basically 32's):

View attachment 40057

View attachment 40058

View attachment 40060
Lift looks great. Did you have to adjust the transfer case linkage or bracket?

Parts I used in my roughly 2.5" lift (approx. $600 for everything listed):

Rancho shocks tend to run long. Depending on your bump stop setup you can run either the 0-1" shocks or the 2-3" shocks.

1) Rancho RS5000X Shocks 0-1" (2 Front) — RS55128
2) Rancho RS5000X Shocks 0-1" (2 Rear) — RS55240

3) Rancho RS5000X Shocks 2-3" (2 Front) — RS55239
4) Rancho RS5000X Shocks 2-3" (2 Rear) — RS55241

5) Pro Comp 2" Springs (Front) — EXP55297
6) Pro Comp 2" Springs (Rear) — EXP55298
7) OME Rear Track Bar Reloaction Bracket — ARB FKWTJ02
8) Rokmen 1/2" body lift
9) Daystar.75" Spacers — KJ09108BK (note: only used above front springs for leveling)
10) Rock Krawler Bump Stop Extensions (Front and Rear) --RKSRK05611 (note: Comes with 6 1" extensions. Glue or bolt 1 to each spring bucket at the bottom of the front springs; I used this RTV Adhesive and it worked great. Then bolt 1 above each bump stop cup on rear springs)

Hey CodaMan...Nice Ride!! Am I correct that you need the Rokmen 1/2" body lift in order for the shock length to work? You mention two lengths of shocks...I am going with the Pro Comp 2" Springs and the Rancho 55239 and 55241 shocks...or am I totally incorrect and you just liked the 1/2" body lift "look" better than others??

Also, since I have Metalcloak Overline fenders which give me extra tire clearance, I shouldn't need any body lift but will need the bump stop extensions and maybe the spacers for leveling purposes?

Thanks for any help you can share...

Hey CodaMan...Nice Ride!! Am I correct that you need the Rokmen 1/2" body lift in order for the shock length to work? You mention two lengths of shocks...I am going with the Pro Comp 2" Springs and the Rancho 55239 and 55241 shocks...or am I totally incorrect and you just liked the 1/2" body lift "look" better than others??

Also, since I have Metalcloak Overline fenders which give me extra tire clearance, I shouldn't need any body lift but will need the bump stop extensions and maybe the spacers for leveling purposes?

You do not need the body lift. I installed it for a future tummy tuck.

Reactions: uhgordo

I would suggest going with the 0-2" shock choice. You'll need at minimum 1.5" of added bump stop to keep the 55239/55241 shocks from bottoming out at full stuff.

Reactions: CodaMan
Yes, Just finished painting my interior panels. Automotive paint store computer matched mine and they are perfect. Rattle cans cost $38 each. Be careful, prep is far more important than you would ever believe.

How far off center is your front axle? Are you experiencing any rubbing when flexed? When I was at 2.5" of lift, my front axle was off center by 5/8" I ran it that way for a few years until my stock TB took a shit, then upgraded to a JKS bar. My tire inner sidewall would rub a little during offroad flexing.
Are you running the 55239's up front?

Did you do a SYE?? Just curious....

My current Jeep is a Rubicon so it wasn't needed, but I've done this same lift on 2 different jeeps of mine. The first one was a Sahara and it didn't need an SYE, nor did it need the TC lowered at all. An SYE won't be needed for this lift setup.

A year ago I picked up some half door for I think $400. I was going to color match them and use them, but getting the correct color door panels was impossible ... then someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse ... $650, so I sold them.

Since the wife wants some type of door when riding topless, just the Jeep, I'm still working on her, I've been searching Craigslist for about a year.

SCORE!!!

I picked up some Rugged Ridge tube doors in excellent condition for $50. They're over $350 new.

I still had the color matched base paint and clear coat for the half door project I didn't do but I thought why not?

IMG_20200426_101330.jpg

IMG_20200426_101841.jpg

IMG_20200426_101900.jpg

Last edited:
A year ago I picked up some half door for I think $400. I was going to color match them and use them, but getting the correct color door panels was impossible ... then someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse ... $650, so I sold them.

Since the wife wants some type of door when riding topless, just the Jeep, I'm still working on her, I've been searching Craigslist for about a year.

SCORE!!!

I picked up some Rugged Ridge tube doors in excellent condition for $75. They're over $350 new.

I still had the color matched base paint and clear coat for the half door project I didn't do but I thought why not?

View attachment 156131
View attachment 156132
View attachment 156133
Slick !

SCORE!!!

I picked up some Rugged Ridge tube doors in excellent condition for $75. They're over $350 new.

View attachment 156131
View attachment 156132
View attachment 156133
Wow, those look nice. I have the same ones. I think I paid about $375. You got a steal of a deal. As far as tube doors go, they work great.

SCORE!!!

View attachment 156131
View attachment 156132
View attachment 156133
I think the color match looks much better than the black, nice job..

Question, what are those front grab handles you have? I don't know if I've seen those..
Thanks in advance...