CodaMan's 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Just picked these up for $750 with less than 500 miles on them. May need to dump the .5" BL for a 1.25". We'll see.

tires.jpg

Well, I needed to replace my MTs with ATs and also get away from load range E tires, but that's almost impossible with 16" wheels. Plus I just couldn't pass up the deal.
Assuming you'll need adapters for the lug pattern and BS?

Reading around it sounds like the JL's use a large lug size (M14 x 1.5) than what is supplied on our TJ's (1/2 x 20)
What will you use for lug nuts

Reading around it sounds like the JL's use a large lug size (M14 x 1.5) than what is supplied on our TJ's (1/2 x 20)
What will you use for lug nuts
I don't know that the wheel mounting holes are any larger than the TJ's, but I should have them mounted up this week. I'll post what I did for lug nuts, but I suspect that the 1/2X20 will be large enough to secure the wheel to the adapter.

Last edited:
Thank you for putting this together. I've got a 2005 X that is all stock right now and I was looking for a good budget way to get some lift and still keep a decent ride without breaking the bank. This gives me a good plan to pursue.

Reactions: CodaMan
Today I swapped out my tires and wheels. I wanted to replace my M/Ts with A/Ts but finding load range 'C' tires in 16" is almost impossible, so I snagged some 2021 JL Rubicon take-offs (5) with under 500 miles for $800. I sold my almost new M/Ts on the OEM Moab wheels $400. Not a bad deal for a net coast of $350.

I went from 265/75R16 load range 'E' M/Ts to 285/70R17 load range 'C' A/Ts. The first thing I'd say is the difference between load range 'C' and 'E' is night and day. It's almost like a new vehicle.

The swap required 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapters. I picked up some Rough Country adapters for $59 a pair. I also found out that my rear wheel studs were too short for the adapters so I installed some 1-15/16" wheel studs - Dorman 610-449. That was a little bit of a pain because I had to pull the axle out an inch or so to get the longer studs in, but not a big deal. Once I had the new adapters installed with RED Loctite I installed the new wheels and took some measurements compared to the old tires and wheels. I also used 13/16 hex lug nuts to give a better seat on the JL wheels. I explain why you need to swap the lug nuts HERE.

- Unloaded tire height with 26 psi of air — 32.75" (+1.5")
- Loaded tire height with 26 psi of air — 32" (+1.25)
- Fender flare to ground — 36.5" (+1")
- Fender flare to top of tire — 4.75" (-.5")

Here are some before and after pics.

IMG_20191111_102853.jpg

PXL_20210130_225033700.jpg

Last edited:
Today I swapped out my tires and wheels. I wanted to replace my M/Ts with A/Ts but finding load range 'C' tires in 16" is almost impossible, so I snagged some 2021 JL Rubicon take-offs with under 500 miles for $750. After I sell my almost new M/Ts the net cost of the take-offs should be around $400. I went from 265/75R16 load range 'E' M/Ts to 285/70R17 load range 'C' A/Ts. The first thing I'd say is the difference between load range 'C' and 'E is night and day. It's almost like a new vehicle.

The swap required 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapters. I picked up some Rough Country adapters for $59 a pair. I also found out that my rear wheel studs were too short for the adapters so I installed some 1-15/16" wheel studs. That was a little bit of a pain because I had to pull the axle out an inch or so to get the longer studs in, but not a big deal. Once I had the new adapters installed with RED Loctite I installed the new wheels and took some measurements compared to the old tires and wheels.

View attachment 222228

View attachment 222229

Very clean, very nice!

Today I swapped out my tires and wheels. I wanted to replace my M/Ts with A/Ts but finding load range 'C' tires in 16" is almost impossible, so I snagged some 2021 JL Rubicon take-offs with under 500 miles for $750. After I sell my almost new M/Ts the net cost of the take-offs should be around $400. I went from 265/75R16 load range 'E' M/Ts to 285/70R17 load range 'C' A/Ts. The first thing I'd say is the difference between load range 'C' and 'E is night and day. It's almost like a new vehicle.

The swap required 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapters. I picked up some Rough Country adapters for $59 a pair. I also found out that my rear wheel studs were too short for the adapters so I installed some 1-15/16" wheel studs. That was a little bit of a pain because I had to pull the axle out an inch or so to get the longer studs in, but not a big deal. Once I had the new adapters installed with RED Loctite I installed the new wheels and took some measurements compared to the old tires and wheels.

View attachment 222228

View attachment 222229
Looking great!