Does control arm bushing composition affect ride quality or NVH?

Guess they didn't reinvent the wheel after all? Bummer.

Maybe, Maybe not. It is obvious that Synergy has had some issues with some but was it just a bad batch or is it the version they chose to use. But they are not the only ones using them either. Rancho, Clayton, ARB/OME, and Mopar are using versions of DDB as well. The Mopar ones look interesting to me as they have what looks like a larger inner sleeve that is knurled to increase grab to the control arm bracket.

So has anyone found a number on the JL control arm bushing that we can order?
Wait, are we talking about cutting and welding the JL control arms to the right length for a TJ? Or pushing the bushing out and installing them in something else? JL control arms are non serviceable and meant to be replaced as a unit

Maybe, Maybe not. It is obvious that Synergy has had some issues with some but was it just a bad batch or is it the version they chose to use. But they are not the only ones using them either. Rancho, Clayton, ARB/OME, and Mopar are using versions of DDB as well. The Mopar ones look interesting to me as they have what looks like a larger inner sleeve that is knurled to increase grab to the control arm bracket.

I wouldn't put MOPAR on that list ... Mopar is just a rubber bushing, bonded sleeve... its like a standard clevite bushing except it is contoured to allow flex. The WJ had something like this, but obviously for a luxury ride and isolation (also their arms were boxed solid)

I thought I'd brush up on the D2, DDB, Giiro... whatever you wanna call these austrialian bushings (i think red-something is the real mfg).

It seems Synergy dropped TJ altogether to devote time to the gladiator/LJ...etc (newer stuff). I was hoping to pick up another set for my new-to-me LJ. I loved their performance on my last TJ, but I only put a year's worth of daily driving and light offroad on them.

Do these type of bushings have poor life ??? I know Jerry would toot the currie horn and say that Johnny joints rebuilt ever 100,000 miles always feel tight, just clean lube and go... maybe its time I try Currie??? I just wish they had FIXED length lower control arms, I do not want/need the hassle of the adjustable lowers...

I thought I'd brush up on the D2, DDB, Giiro... whatever you wanna call these austrialian bushings (i think red-something is the real mfg).

It seems Synergy dropped TJ altogether to devote time to the gladiator/LJ...etc (newer stuff). I was hoping to pick up another set for my new-to-me LJ. I loved their performance on my last TJ, but I only put a year's worth of daily driving and light offroad on them.

Do these type of bushings have poor life ??? I know Jerry would toot the currie horn and say that Johnny joints rebuilt ever 100,000 miles always feel tight, just clean lube and go... maybe its time I try Currie??? I just wish they had FIXED length lower control arms, I do not want/need the hassle of the adjustable lowers...

They don’t make a fixed length lower because there is no fixed length that is correct. As far as ride quality, the bushing will mean nothing.

• Dislike
Reactions: Ericshere03
They don’t make a fixed length lower because there is no fixed length that is correct. As far as ride quality, the bushing will mean nothing.

So, by that logic, all the factory fixed length control arms are incorrect too for stock lift, eh???

I had fixed length control arms were just fine on my last TJ with adjustable uppers, Synergy DDB bushings and SYE and it rode beautifully, perhaps you should read the thread you commented on ... your comments/opinions are not helpful...

I wouldn't put MOPAR on that list ... Mopar is just a rubber bushing, bonded sleeve... its like a standard clevite bushing except it is contoured to allow flex.
The Mopar TJ bushings are just clevite rubber. The Mopar performance lift kit for the JL includes arms with DDB bushings. But only applicable is your building custom arms.

Although Synergy has pretty much quit the TJ/LJ the Giiro joint and Rancho DDB are pretty much the same thing if not exactly the same.

I have the Rancho DDB installed. I have a couple years on them but not very many miles. I've not had any issues with them so far. But I have not pulled any off yet to see how they are holding up. I will mention that I do have one extra bushing that, for reasons I forget, was never installed. When I pulled it off the shelf one day the inner sleeve was very loose inside the rubber housing. Not really a problem since it is designed to rotate within the housing, but it does cause me some concern that they may wear out prematurely in dirty conditions if contaminants get in there.

I still think the DDB bushing will offer less NVH and is a good option on a well maintained Jeep that sees extended highway miles. It may be less of an advantage if your Jeep is only for weekend offroading. If I was building my Jeep again today, it would still be a painstaking decision between JJ and DDB. If the JJ would take grease properly, I would probably forgo a little NVH and get the JJ. But since they need to be pulled apart to grease and require maintenance, I choose to go with DDB when I built my Jeep. If I did it again today, I might lean the other direction and get the JJ because I know they would be serviceable for years to come. But I have I no complaints at all with my Rancho DDB arms

So, by that logic, all the factory fixed length control arms are incorrect too for stock lift, eh???

I had fixed length control arms were just fine on my last TJ with adjustable uppers, Synergy DDB bushings and SYE and it rode beautifully, perhaps you should read the thread you commented on ... your comments/opinions are not helpful...

I can't help if an accurate comment on the topic doesn't help you.

There's more to the picture that you're not willing to understand.

There is actually a few reason why I recycle and use these...
Private, has them in his front lower mid arms also.