California Dusy Ershim Run 2022

Dusy dates. What do you prefer? We will plan it around one of these weekends.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Called into the Ranger Station. Wanted to see if a wilderness pass is "required" since the trail straddles two areas, he confirmed not necessary. He was however very adamant on fire restrictions. No Campfires except for propane fire pits. Guess I need to make room for a 20lb tank and fire pit:oops:

That totally sux man! I guess i don't need to get a new chain for the chainsaw this trip. Do you have a pit already?

Reactions: Fish Family JKU
Called into the Ranger Station. Wanted to see if a wilderness pass is "required" since the trail straddles two areas, he confirmed not necessary. He was however very adamant on fire restrictions. No Campfires except for propane fire pits. Guess I need to make room for a 20lb tank and fire pit:oops:

Scotty, I have a propane fire pit I left at Dallas' house. I will be down there next week and can go get it. I can bring that if someone wants to bring the propane tank. The pit takes up a bit of room just by itself.

Scotty, I have a propane fire pit I left at Dallas' house. I will be down there next week and can go get it. I can bring that if someone wants to bring the propane tank. The pit takes up a bit of room just by itself.

I have a Little Red CampFire pit and will bring a 20lb tank along. I should have plenty of room. Mine chews through a 5lb tank over 5hrs on high. So four nights should be doable. We run out of propane there is always moonshine 😉

Scott

Reactions: U8MYDZT
I have a Little Red CampFire pit and will bring a 20lb tank along. I should have plenty of room. Mine chews through a 5lb tank over 5hrs on high. So four nights should be doable. We run out of propane there is always moonshine 😉

Scott

Awesomeness! I can bring an extra tank just in case.

If you bring an extra tank I will bring my pit too. Can't hurt to have plenty of fire.

Is that a request for shine Scotty :).
[/QUOTE
Well, I will have plenty of tequila and beer as well. You know, just in case the fire and shine are depleted. LOL

Since we are on the subject of fire, and if you're ok with meat, I will bring some Chili and cornbread for dinner one of the nights.

Reactions: Fish Family JKU
FUCK!!!!!! My Jeep just lost compression on cylinder #1 and is running like dog shit. I narrowed it down to something in the head (adding oil to the cylinder during a compression test does nothing to the reading). I will be working tirelessly trying to get this thing going in the next couple weeks. FUCK!

• Wow
Reactions: Indy
Well God works in mysterious ways. I just got a call from work saying I was exposed to COVID and need to stay home until Wednesday. And I found a junkyard head for $175 I can swap in. Hopefully I will be able to get everything installed by Wednesday and not lose any time getting ready for the trip.

Well God works in mysterious ways. I just got a call from work saying I was exposed to COVID and need to stay home until Wednesday. And I found a junkyard head for $175 I can swap in. Hopefully I will be able to get everything installed by Wednesday and not lose any time getting ready for the trip.

Well that one just sucks.
Here is hoping (🤞) you dodged the bug and you can get the rig fixed in short order.

Scott

I am still in for this run, will see if I can pull it off. Doing Rubicon on the 4th. as long as my jeep comes back in one piece and nothing comes up I plan to make it. I only have CB and FRS for comms

FUCK!!!!!! My Jeep just lost compression on cylinder #1 and is running like dog shit. I narrowed it down to something in the head (adding oil to the cylinder during a compression test does nothing to the reading). I will be working tirelessly trying to get this thing going in the next couple weeks. FUCK!

That happened on my JK. I had to replace the head due to a factory default. I guess one of the ports was just a little out of spec. Changing the head on mine fixed the problem. Good luck!!! Hope you can get it done.

Well I am about to pull the head off. I picked up a head gasket kit and it comes with valve seals so my first goal is to inspect the head and see if I can just give her a quick rebuild. I have a granite inspection surface and some good straight edges to check for flatness. Hopefully I can just lap the valve seats and get away with a quick rebuild.

Well I found the problem. The exhaust vavle isn't sealing properly.

20220801_145218.jpg
(you can see the far right port is wet inside from the brake fluid seeping past the valve) Looks like it was a MFG error. The exhaust valve seat was cut slightly off and there was a ridge on the lower part of the valve seat preventing a proper seal. (You can kind of see it on the left side of the seat) I have no idea how this thing didn't have issues sooner.

20220801_151209.jpg
I ended up taking a dremel to the lip and then relapping the valve. Looks like we are getting a good seal now!!
20220801_155323.jpg
I will go ahead and lap the rest of the valves and
I should have her all buttoned up tomorrow and will be back in business!!

Alright I think I dodged a bullet. Got 100 miles on the engine after the head rebuild and she is actually running better than ever? I took her over the 17 to Santa Cruz which is a pretty steep climb both ways and she didn't miss a beat. Now that is behind me... Let's talk Dusy!! What kind of recovery gear do you all have? I have got a tow strap (not kinetic) a few shackles some loose d-rings and a 10k winch. Along with a shovel and arms to move rocks. I have been kicking around the idea of putting together a trail welder (one that runs on a few batteries) but I don't think we will need it on The Dusy. I also have a 150psi OBA with a small tank if we need to use some air tools.

Reactions: Indy
I hate HWY17 but a good test. Good to hear she is running smoothly🤞.

I’ll have all my recovery gear. Winch, 30’ strap, tree saver, snatch block, hard/soft shackles and bottle jack.

I put together a trail weld kit some time ago as well😁 Welding goggles, gloves, pack 6011 rod, battery jumpers and scrap metal. Small, cheap and a bit of insurance. I don’t bring battery or air tools, just space limited usually.

Scott

I hate HWY17 but a good test. Good to hear she is running smoothly🤞.

I’ll have all my recovery gear. Winch, 30’ strap, tree saver, snatch block, hard/soft shackles and bottle jack.

I put together a trail weld kit some time ago as well😁 Welding goggles, gloves, pack 6011 rod, battery jumpers and scrap metal. Small, cheap and a bit of insurance. I don’t bring battery or air tools, just space limited usually.

Scott

Nice! Have you ever needed to use the welder on the trail? How well does it work?

The Dusy is all cleared up and ready to go. The pictures posted on the Facebook page from the Toyota crew look beautiful!