California Dusy Ershim Run 2022

Dusy dates. What do you prefer? We will plan it around one of these weekends.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was looking at the 45 and the 55 they seam like a good size. If I go with one of these I don't want to carry a cooler so it needs to be big enough for food and Beer, Water and Sodas
Let's add a "beer run" to the trail list.

gokart-hero.jpg

Also if a 55 is big enough for beer and food your a bit light on beer 🍺 😋

I have a 1400 goal zero, one side fridge one side freezer and on a short weekend it burned through the whole battery (1.5days). I can easily get 7 days just in a fridge.

OK but if it's in my Jeep hooked to a dual battery setup and I'm driving it every day to recharge that second battery? I'm not looking to just camp and sit for for 3-4 days.

I'd just like the idea of ice cream bars on the trail... No really good reason for the freezer other than that.
I am just tired of wet sandwiches or food. No matter what I try something always seams to get wet. Maybe it is just part of off roading where tings are being thrown around in a cooler. Hell I know sometimes I am thrown around setting in the sate and buckled in.

I am just tired of wet sandwiches or food. No matter what I try something always seams to get wet. Maybe it is just part of off roading where tings are being thrown around in a cooler. Hell I know sometimes I am thrown around setting in the sate and buckled in.

Yes. I had a cooler tip over that I had in my front passenger seat becasue I had the kids in the back seat and my cell phone was under it.... This was in 2003 when phones didn't even like you to sweat on them.

Yes soggy sandwiches SUCK. And warm cold cuts that you wonder if they'll make you sick ain't any fun either.

My wife separates the tomatoes and pickles from the bread and meat and cheese. 👍🏼

Reactions: JMT and Plumber1
OK but if it's in my Jeep hooked to a dual battery setup and I'm driving it every day to recharge that second battery? I'm not looking to just camp and sit for for 3-4 days.
All depends on your capacity vs use. Should be easy enough to figure out how much power the freezer uses vs how much storage you have. Overnight you’d probably be fine

Great conversation. I'd love a 35 or 55, but I have the 95 (Dometic) and a 45 (Norcold) and they are filled every time we go somewhere. There are 7 of us, so....one day I will get rid of the 95 and keep the 45.

I'd love to do this trip @Alex01. Doesn't look likely. Working two jobs this time of year.

Alright fellow Jeepers I am putting this back on the radar.
I finally got my baby back and am ready to have some fun!
How many of you guy have a HAM? I am looking into getting a license and setup ASAP, anyone have advice on where to take classes or what radio they prefer?

Reactions: HornedToad
How many of you guy have a HAM? I am looking into getting a license and setup ASAP, anyone have advice on where to take classes or what radio they prefer?
Go to the ARRL site. Lots of good study ideas there. Technician question pool will be changing after July 1st, so if you are going for it, do it soon, or wait till after July for the new question pool to come out.

https://www.hollandarc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Tech2022k8tb.pdf
http://aa9pw.com/
https://www.arrl.org/
Took me a few weeks of memorizing many of the questions. My wife watched a few Youtube videos and passed the test with no problem.
The ARRL website will also have a section on where to find a test and when. I think you can also take the test via Zoom.

Gear is a whole different rabbit hole to jump into. Start off with a cheap Baofeng HT and get your feet wet. You might as well get your GMRS license too, as most jeepers use that and FRS radios. No test required for that, just pay the new lower fee with the FCC and you get a GMRS license and call sign.

I found a local Red Cross that had a ham club that used their location for their meetings. They give the test once a month for $5.00. I use a Yaesu FTM-100 great radio but the screen is difficult to see with my vision now. I wish I had bought the FTM400 which is try dual band and has a large color screen. I also have a couple Baufang radios I is when I get out of the Jeep to spot or as loaners.

I downloaded an app on my phone "ham test prep". I kept taking the test until I memorized the answers and could score 80% or above 10 times in a row. Once I did that I went to the local testing center, which may still be available online, and passed the first time. I believe you can take the test an unlimited amount of times it's just a new fee each time.

If you buy a Ham radio plan on doing the MARS mod so you can access GMRS channels or buy it from a place like gigaparts which will do the mod for you before shipping for $20 or so. After that, you'll just need a program to program the radio so the interface will look more like a CB with channels than needing to select numbered channels. Example GMRS 16 will say GMRS 16 instead of typing. 462.5750

Reactions: bobthetj03
I have cb and was planning on purchasing a gmrs. I started down the ham path once but then got busy and didn’t finish studying nor did I take the test. But if ham is what the group wants to use I can be ready for that.

Reactions: U8MYDZT
I have a CB also but am looking to upgrade just for the sake of better coms.
What's the deal with the MARS mod on the Ham radios? It seems like a win win but why do so many Ham guys frown upon the mod?
@Blazin_LJ added you to the maybe list!
As for coms i would say CB minimum. The others are just super handy and nice to haves. I am going to try for my Ham license in the next couple weeks so hopefully I will have everything setup before this trip. What's the deal with the MARS mod? It seems to be a win win but there are a lot of Ham guys who frown upon this.

Last edited: