California Dusy Ershim Run 2022

Dusy dates. What do you prefer? We will plan it around one of these weekends.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@HornedToad added you to the maybe list!
As for coms i would say CB minimum. The others are just super handy and nice to haves. I am going to try for my Ham license in the next couple weeks so hopefully I will have everything setup before this trip. What's the deal with the MARS mod? It seems to be a win win but there are a lot of Ham guys who frown upon this.
MARS mod is technically not legal but it opens up the option of using gmrs channels on your ham. I assume it's because it would allow you to broadcast with at a much higher power than a frs would without the correct programing. A simple $20 frs radio will work also to communicate and I often carry a few to hand out or to use when out of the vechile in a winching or spotting situation.

For my radio the Mars mod was completed by removing a tiny diod for others it may be removing a wire. Gigaparts will sell you a radio with the mod as well of you don't feel like doing it yourself.

Reactions: JMT and U8MYDZT
I have cb and was planning on purchasing a gmrs. I started down the ham path once but then got busy and didn’t finish studying nor did I take the test. But if ham is what the group wants to use I can be ready for that.
I usually just stick my head out of the window and yell at the guys
Or get bumper to bumper then my CB works 🤪

I usually just stick my head out of the window and yell at the guys
Or get bumper to bumper then my CB works 🤪
200.gif

MARS mod is technically not legal but it opens up the option of using gmrs channels on your ham. I assume it's because it would allow you to broadcast with at a much higher power than a frs would without the correct programing. A simple $20 frs radio will work also to communicate and I often carry a few to hand out or to use when out of the vechile in a winching or spotting situation.

For my radio the Mars mod was completed by removing a tiny diod for others it may be removing a wire. Gigaparts will sell you a radio with the mod as well of you don't feel like doing it yourself.
Makes since. Im guessing if the MARS mod is something they sale it's not a law that is strictly enforced.
I have no problem fiddling with circuit boards so doing the mod is not an issue. What Hams are best for this? I would prefer a mounted unit over a hand-held.

Reactions: Alex01 and U8MYDZT
Makes since. Im guessing if the MARS mod is something they sale it's not a law that is strictly enforced.
I have no problem fiddling with circuit boards so doing the mod is not an issue. What Hams are best for this? I would prefer a mounted unit over a hand-held.
@bobthetj03 knows a ton more about ham radios than I do. I run the Icom 4100 and added a Bluetooth chip so I can use APRS while on the trail through my android phone. APRS allows you to send short text messages through radio towers when you have zero service. Some radios have this function built-in as well so you don't need an android phone but they tend to be $$$. The most important thing to me though was having a removable face so I could hide the body under the steering column out of sight and the face in the center console. I didn't want the radio to be seen from the outside other than the mic since I often leave the top off.

U8MYDZT, can you add me to the maybe list. I'm in if the wife isn't working the weekend that is settled on.

Reactions: U8MYDZT
Also, there is a Dusy Facebook page that has a lot of good information and people that can answer questions about the trail. Definitely worth checking out if you have specific information you want about the area.

Reactions: DrDmoney