Finally Found A Remanufactured Engine!

Have you talked to Jeep West? I don't know what he'd charge or what the wait time is. I don't know any shops down there anymore.

Before I got Titans Info I was looking for 2.5L Reman, Tried a couple of remans, they all wanted payment with no fixed ETA. I even went to Local Jeep dealership they tried there 3 reman, accounts with no luck. John said build would take a week 2.5L was built/delivered in 10 days. Total down time 117 days.

That doesn't sound like too bad of a price with what you are doing plus shipping. What does the RV cam do for you? And I was going to ask about the balancing too but looks like you've got it covered.

Have you talked to Jeep West? I don't know what he'd charge or what the wait time is. I don't know any shops down there anymore.

I asked John at Titan about the RV Cam. He said honestly it would make some but not a huge difference, but if I towed a small trailer it would be especially helpful. And I do tow a small trailer, so I'm going for it (I would do it anyways even if I didn't tow a trailer sometimes). I'm a fan of the 2.5, but figure any additional help the engine can get would be appreciated. And a balanced engine is a happier engine.

I'm wanting to get the engine installed locally in case there's a problem down the road I can deal with it locally.

Arctic Trip.3.jpg

Reactions: WestCoastDan
I asked John at Titan about the RV Cam. He said honestly it would make some but not a huge difference, but if I towed a small trailer it would be especially helpful. And I do tow a small trailer, so I'm going for it (I would do it anyways even if I didn't tow a trailer sometimes). I'm a fan of the 2.5, but figure any additional help the engine can get would be appreciated. And a balanced engine is a happier engine.

I'm wanting to get the engine installed locally in case there's a problem down the road I can deal with it locally.

View attachment 394817

Jeep West is some what local to you they're in Estacada, OR. Hope it all works out for you.

Reactions: ArmyRN
Before I got Titans Info I was looking for 2.5L Reman, Tried a couple of remans, they all wanted payment with no fixed ETA. I even went to Local Jeep dealership they tried there 3 reman, accounts with no luck. John said build would take a week 2.5L was built/delivered in 10 days. Total down time 117 days.

I was shopping around too without any luck till I found this thread. Jasper was just too expensive for what I willing to spend. Other places didn't feel right, or they didn't have a buildable core (S&J). S&J would have been my best bet - best warranty of all the places I was looking at. I just want to get a good rebuild in it and get it back on the road. This TJ isn't my daily driver.

It was a $500 deposit with Titan, with the remainder when built. Seems fair.

Let's see... Jeep engine died on 16 January, so I'm 10 days down so far. If engine can get here in three weeks, and figure another week for shop to get it installed and running... maybe down only 38 days down +/-? Let's estimate six weeks from when it died to get it back on the road - end of February. We'll see how good I am at estimating. I'll keep folks updated on the progress of this thing. I'm now in waiting mode till Titan contacts me that they're shipping the engine.

(And now I'm just blabbing) ...

In the meantime, my wife's not too happy with all this (more anxious than unhappy with all the money I'm spending). Anyone else ever been in this position when it comes to their spouses and their Jeeps?

In mid December I order a new 2023 Jeep Willys JLU 2.0T XR in Sting Gray which will be my new daily driver (we'll go with $60,000 for discussion's sake - and FWIW it might be here by the 3rd/4th week of February), and then my TJ's engine dies in mid January (add another $5,500 to $6,000 unexpected bite out of savings once it is all done). Good thing she loves me and is patient with me and my Jeep habit.

Here's a picture of what I've got ordered (but in Sting Gray - not this silver color). I won't be heavily modifying this one - it'll be my daily driver and mild off-roader/overlanding (in comfort compared to my TJ). Maybe a pair of True-tracs in the axles. With the XR (Extreme Recon) package it comes from the factory with a 1.5" lift, 4.56 gears, and 35" tires among other things.

New JLU Jeep.PNG

Picture of my wife and my other Willys Jeep (46 CJ2A).

Tiff.10.jpg

Last edited:
I am also looking at a Willys when I purchase a new one for a DD. Can I ask why you choose the 2.0T instead of the 3.6? I have been pricing one on the build site with the Extreme Recon also but, was looking at the 3.6 still.

I am also looking at a Willys when I purchase a new one for a DD. Can I ask why you choose the 2.0T instead of the 3.6? I have been pricing one on the build site with the Extreme Recon also but, was looking at the 3.6 still.

Both are pretty powerful engines. And the 3.6 is a proven design. However...

1. The 2.0T has a little less HP than the 3.6, but more torque and it comes in at a lower RPM. Low end torque is where it's at when Jeeping.

2. Better MPG (may not be that much though) but a couple MPG at least. Folks seem to be getting in the low to almost mid 20's with the 2.0T.

3. I think right now you can only get the 3.6 in the 4xe set-up (it changes though). I don't want all that extra stuff (electric motors, large battery pack, etc.) and complicated wiring in my new Jeep (it's bad enough as it is). I don't think the "benefits" of the 4xe are worth it.

4. I've been reading good stuff about the 2.0T. Folks seem to like them.

I'm also a member of the JL Wrangler forum. Lots of good info over there. If you're going to get a new JL, I suggest you join.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6-vs-2-0-turbo-which-is-better.85790/

There are tons of information on the 2.0T vs. 3.6 engine out there. A simple google search will give you lots of info.

Last edited:
Mitchrb1,

Here's a good fairly short video on the JLU 2.0T you will find interesting. This video is actually what sold me on the 2.0T as I too was kinda going back-and-forth between the two engines:

If you're getting a new JLU, I'd recommend subscribing to the Dirt Road Cred channel (where the video above came from).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo067J0RV8tz-6uevbAD6lQ/videos

Send me a PM if you have any other questions about the JLU. I'm not the expert (mine's still on order) but I'm well read. I do know TJs though. And old Willys Jeeps.

And to try and tie this back to the remanufactured engine thing....

This rebuilt engine, additional parts, and install is going to cost me somewhere between $5,500 & $6,000 to get it back on the road (hopefully better than it was before). That's about what it would cost to put True-tracs F&R in the JLU (keeping the same 4.56 gear ratio), with enough left over to cover the cost of a Dynatrac 2" Enduro lift (which I can install myself). I have no intention of going larger than the 35" tire size that comes with the Extreme Recon (XR) package.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dynatrac/2-endurosport-lift-fox-shocks-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl

I honestly don't know which Jeep I'll be driving first. Will my TJ's engine get delivered and installed before the new JLU gets here, or will the new JLU arrive before my TJ is buttoned-up and running again?

OOhhh - suspense!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
Mitchrb1,

Here's a good fairly short video on the JLU 2.0T you will find interesting. This video is actually what sold me on the 2.0T as I too was kinda going back-and-forth between the two engines:

If you're getting a new JLU, I'd recommend subscribing to the Dirt Road Cred channel (where the video above came from).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo067J0RV8tz-6uevbAD6lQ/videos

Send me a PM if you have any other questions about the JLU. I'm not the expert (mine's still on order) but I'm well read. I do know TJs though. And old Willys Jeeps.

And to try and tie this back to the remanufactured engine thing....

This rebuilt engine, additional parts, and install is going to cost me somewhere between $5,500 & $6,000 to get it back on the road (hopefully better than it was before). That's about what it would cost for True-tracs F&R in the JLU (keeping the same 4.56 gear ratio), and probably would have covered the cost of a Dynatrac 2" Enduro lift (which I can install myself). I have no intention of going larger than the 35" tire size that comes with the Extreme Recon (XR) package.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dynatrac/2-endurosport-lift-fox-shocks-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl

I honestly don't know which Jeep I'll be driving first. Will my TJ's engine get delivered and installed before the new JLU gets here, or will the new JLU arrive before my TJ is buttoned-up and running again?

OOhhh - suspense!

If I had a free bay in my garage I'd come get your Jeep and do the engine swap for ya. I'm a little further behind on mine than I thought I'd be now.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
If I had a free bay in my garage I'd come get your Jeep and do the engine swap for ya. I'm a little further behind on mine than I thought I'd be now.

I appreciate the offer. I've got a shop, and I've actually got an engine hoist. If I had to, I'm sure I could pull the old engine out and put the rebuilt in. If I had to. What are you doing with your Jeep now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
I appreciate the offer. I've got a shop, and I've actually got an engine hoist. If I had to, I'm sure I could pull the old engine out and put the rebuilt in. If I had to. What are you doing with your Jeep now?

He’s just doing a few minor mods. I think this week he installed a locking fuel cap…

😀

After I'd gotten the engine running I had a blown head gasket so I had to pull the top end back apart and redo the whole thing. This was after finding out that the windage tray I'd installed was keeping the intake from sitting flat so I had intake leaks.

He’s just doing a few minor mods. I think this week he installed a locking fuel cap…

😀

That's next week.

Ok; just put in an order to Rock Auto (my usual go-to place for ordering parts for my vehicles) for when they do the engine swap.

Jeep TJ engine parts order.PNG

Before the engine died, I thought I might have had an exhaust leak. And these 2.5 exhaust manifolds are famous for cracking. So I figured why put a 25 year-old fairly high-mileage exhaust manifold back on with a questionable leak? So I'm not.

I also ordered new engine mounts. They're not expensive, and while the engine it out is the perfect time to replace them. They also recommend new engine mounts when replacing the exhaust manifold. Makes sense to me.

The tune-up kit doesn't include sparkplugs. I've got new ones in the shop.

I'll get the heater core hoses locally. I wasn't sure about ordering them as to exactly what I needed. I think the water pump is well over 10 years old. Again; why put an old one back on if you've got to take it off anyways?

Ok; just put in an order to Rock Auto (my usual go-to place for ordering parts for my vehicles) for when they do the engine swap.

View attachment 394944

Before the engine died, I thought I might have had an exhaust leak. And these 2.5 exhaust manifolds are famous for cracking. So I figured why put a 25 year-old fairly high-mileage exhaust manifold back on with a questionable leak? So I'm not.

I also ordered new engine mounts. They're not expensive, and while the engine it out is the perfect time to replace them. They also recommend new engine mounts when replacing the exhaust manifold. Makes sense to me.

The tune-up kit doesn't include sparkplugs. I've got new ones in the shop.

I'll get the heater core hoses locally. I wasn't sure about ordering them as to exactly what I needed. I think the water pump is well over 10 years old. Again; why put an old one back on if you've got to take it off anyways?

Is it wiser to stick with Mopar motor mounts on the 2.5L like it is for the 4.0L?

My titan 2.5l Install cost $960.00 +
$2300.00 install way to high.

View attachment 394793

Ouch on the install price. It cost me about $450-$500 to buy a hoist and a set of external Torx sockets and a few days of labor. I’m glad I decided to do it myself but I understand not everyone can or even wants to, but for that price I’ll do it myself

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
Ouch on the install price. It cost me about $450-$500 to buy a hoist and a set of external Torx sockets and a few days of labor. I’m glad I decided to do it myself but I understand not everyone can or even wants to, but for that price I’ll do it myself

In the late 70s I built complete 1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport. Got my Big Bertha cutting torch went to junk yard and spent weeks cutting up wrecks. After 1 year it was done. Those days are long gone I'll gladly pay somebody else to do grunt work. I even stopped doing Oil.