How to aim and align your headlights

How to aim Jeep Wrangler TJ headlights
There are two small T-15 torx-head adjustment screws that you can access from the front, between the headlight lense and the chrome bezel. Find the little indentations on the chrome bezels located at the 4 and 10 o'clock positions around the bezel, those give clearance for access to the two adjustment screws. They both aim the headlight so it's a little of both to move it in the direction it needs to go. Top screw for up-down, bottom screw for left-right.

How to align Jeep Wrangler TJ headlights
When lifting Jeeps the headlights are often over looked so use this simple guide to adjust your headlights aiming pionts.

Step 1 - On level ground, put your Jeep vehicle in front of a wall as close as possible.

Step 2 - With tape, put 2 crosses on the wall that correspond with the vertical and horizontal center lines of both headlights.

Step 3 - Move the Jeep back 25 ft., keeping the Jeep centered with the tape crosses on the wall.

Step 4 - Examine the light pattern.

View attachment 6380

Low Beams should be hitting the lower right sections of the crosses.

View attachment 6381

High Beams should split the cross hairs.

Turn the horizontal and vertical adjusting screws (located on the headlights bucket) to make adjustments.
Thank you for this Chris. It made aiming my new LEDs quick and simple.

Reactions: Chris
Now that my Jeep is taller tires my new LED headlights are no longer laying out a good path of light. I talked to a national distributor of these lights and he said there are a lot of tj model jeeps where the light is actually screwed int a "fixed" location with no way to adjust. I have taken them out and tried to see how they can be adjusted. Four screws hold the light in which are screwed into what looks like a solid piece of metal that is part of the grill, i don't see how there is something in there that is moveable. This is not making any sense to me. My Jeep has got to the point I can't even go anywhere at night in it. Stumpted in Oregon (pardon the pun)

Thank you for this Chris. It made aiming my new LEDs quick and simple.
Now that my Jeep is taller tires my new LED headlights are no longer laying out a good path of light. I talked to a national distributor of these lights and he said there are a lot of tj model jeeps where the light is actually screwed int a "fixed" location with no way to adjust. I have taken them out and tried to see how they can be adjusted. Four screws hold the light in which are screwed into what looks like a solid piece of metal that is part of the grill, i don't see how there is something in there that is moveable. This is not making any sense to me. My Jeep has got to the point I can't even go anywhere at night in it. Stumpted in Oregon

Now that my Jeep is taller tires my new LED headlights are no longer laying out a good path of light. I talked to a national distributor of these lights and he said there are a lot of tj model jeeps where the light is actually screwed int a "fixed" location with no way to adjust. I have taken them out and tried to see how they can be adjusted. Four screws hold the light in which are screwed into what looks like a solid piece of metal that is part of the grill, i don't see how there is something in there that is moveable. This is not making any sense to me. My Jeep has got to the point I can't even go anywhere at night in it. Stumpted in Oregon

Take of the outer bezel, you'll see 3 torx head screws. Those adjust the angles of the headlights. Beware, these are screws mounted in plastic housings that receive a lot of rain/snow/salt (depending where you live) and the screws are often rotten or seized.
I was just taking my bezels out tonight and discovered the condition of mine... one stripped torx, one seized/ rotten (no discernible threads) and one housing with a piece missing that won't hold the screw. One floppy headlight on the gravel road!
Hopefully I get lucky at the pull-a-part or find a part out.
But they are adjustable and hold well. Pull them out and swipe some anti-seize or the like to help them survive.

Question!
My KC headlamps were all out of whack from the PO, Even after doing a quick aim myself, one is looking for gophers, and the other is okay. having difficulty getting aimed, so I went
down to the empty buckets, to start fresh. all screws are good, and in working order,
My question, What is the third screw on the bucket??? Exact same configuration as the two adjusters
that are accessible with the bezel trim ring on, but can only be seen with the trim off. afraid the PO fiddled with that one also.
@Chris @AndyG

My 06 I'm driving only has 2 planes of adjustment... I'm not familiar with how the adjustment is set up on the earlier models.

Post #26 is wrong or at best confusing. There are only two screws that adjust the aiming of the headlights and you dont need to take the trim ring off. There are indentions on the trim ring to get a slim (not magnetic 1/4 inch bit) in there to adjust. Same as above though, it may be different on the earlier TJ's but that's how it worked on my 05 and 06.

Reactions: Chris
No, you guys aren't getting it, this screw, right here. This is the left hand (passenger) side. Jeep oem shop manual doesn't mention it. Haynes manual doesn't. Cant find anything on the web. It has plenty of room for adjustment, just like the screws accessible with the trim rings installed.

20200910_223040.jpg

Tried to adjust the WHZD led lights and I must be blind because I followed the steps but I don’t see the concentrated spot of light ‘enough’ in order to actually tune the light to be in the right lower corner of the crosses. I covered the opposite light while trying to adjust the other side and it just seems like white light across.. I can see the cut up at the top and adjust that but doing the left to right I see no difference as I can’t spot the ‘hot spot’.

Anyone else have this issue?

All the matters is where they meet.

Reminds me of a guy at work on a trim job..I said cut 1/8" more off this piece..he said "which end"

• Haha
Reactions: SamwiseGamJeep
I’ve been getting the middle finger and high beams any time I roll out of town. And that’s before I hit the highs. I’ll try this method see if I can get them aligned a bit better.